• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Running up flights of stairs.

Running up flights of stairs in 3 steps, without slowing down. Will that be in the final RO2?

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXHWPzTPskY&feature=player_detailpage#t=327s

IRL, I just simply glide up stairs.

I hope you at least get slowed down in RO2 though. Haven't really ever seen a game with good going up stairs.

Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
Though it would be realistic, implementing this would actually be fairly difficult. After all, one can run down stairs faster than one can run up them, and shifting sideways on said stairs should occur at a normal speed... For hills and ramp-like surfaces an angular calculation of sorts would be needed to determine how fast/slow a player should move on that surface, but some sort of terrain system would be necessary for stairs since they consist of perpendicularly set surfaces...

Yes, it would be realistic. It would also add something unique to the gameplay. However, it would change too little, I believe, to justify the amount of work required, so I doubt we'll see it.

Upvote 0
Though it would be realistic, implementing this would actually be fairly difficult. After all, one can run down stairs faster than one can run up them, and shifting sideways on said stairs should occur at a normal speed... For hills and ramp-like surfaces an angular calculation of sorts would be needed to determine how fast/slow a player should move on that surface, but some sort of terrain system would be necessary for stairs since they consist of perpendicularly set surfaces...

Yes, it would be realistic. It would also add something unique to the gameplay. However, it would change too little, I believe, to justify the amount of work required, so I doubt we'll see it.

It doesn't have to be that complicated, just slow them down to normal speeds in some way. Also downwards is not that much faster so normal speed can be used for this also.

Upvote 0
Lol. :D
Actually i'm in pretty good shape. Running weekly.

you can do better than that try daily. but anyways it is possible to clear stairs very fast ive done it. i used to be able to go up steps 2 at a time without thinking (if i tried probably 3). remember your not walking up the stairs your jogging/running (theres no walking in ro2). sadly i wasn't always a lazy bum. due to unfortunate events ive lost my ability to be as active as i was. :(

Upvote 0
That is a truly fascinating story but nobody asked for exercise advice and you skipping steps in real life in your prime doesn't really matter, we're talking about how ridiculously fast a player can climb a staircase in RO2.

I imagine soldiers would like to get the hell up a staircase in the midst of a battle, but skipping four steps (just a number I am throwing out there) sounds straining and unrealistic.

This makes me sound really nitpicky, but I agree that it was pretty bonkers at how fast the players could climb stairs in that video.

Reactions: Fenix611 and Rumo
Upvote 0
OK, I live on the 4th floor with ground floor also being a good 3m above ground. So it's pretty good amount of stairs. I can run up the stairs nearly the same speed I go down the stairs. Actually going down the stairs is sometimes more difficult, cause the risk of falling is higher. Which is anyways slower than I run in a straight line.

In the game - there's no difference. And remember - those guys are carrying around 15kg of equipment - rifle, ammo, grenades, water etc. etc. Their shoes aren't any close to my good running shoes and I'm sure as hell with all those things working against runner, nobody would be able to run that fast up/down the stairs as shown in in-game footage.

And why do you think its hard to do? Stairs make you move considerably slower in 1 direction, and less slower in the other. It doesn't affect perpendicular movement. Voila. Why would this be for some weird reason harder to code than 100000 different things that sometimes affect immersion/gameplay less than this, yet are included?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that WiFiDi. Yes true, daily running is great, but i'm not a pro runner hehe.

..This makes me sound really nitpicky, but I agree that it was pretty bonkers at how fast the players could climb stairs in that video.
Not nitpicky at all. It concerns basic player movement throughout the game in a lot of maps (with stairs).

In the game - there's no difference. And remember - those guys are carrying around 15kg of equipment - rifle, ammo, grenades, water etc. etc. Their shoes aren't any close to my good running shoes and I'm sure as hell with all those things working against runner, nobody would be able to run that fast up/down the stairs as shown in in-game footage.

And why do you think its hard to do? Stairs make you move considerably slower in 1 direction, and less slower in the other. It doesn't affect perpendicular movement. Voila. Why would this be for some weird reason harder to code than 100000 different things that sometimes affect immersion/gameplay less than this, yet are included?
Agreed.

Upvote 0
remember - those guys are carrying around 15kg of equipment - rifle, ammo, grenades, water etc. Etc. Their shoes aren't any close to my good running shoes and i'm sure as hell with all those things working against runner, nobody would be able to run that fast up/down the stairs as shown in in-game footage.

+1

Upvote 0