• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] IL2 sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Press Release/Video

[OT]But why though? It makes no sense to stifle creativity and to harm those who have supported you by buying a game you've published.

Raven Shield is basically a dead game now, 8 years old? Those people still playing it would no doubt love to see it being given a new lease of life. What's the problem with people showing their appreciation and enjoyment by doing so?

The only possible angle I can think of from Ubis point of view is that they don't want people playing an old game and not buying their new ones (newer R6 games...yeah right), but doing **** like this isn't going to make that happen.[/OT]

If anything it would make people who missed out on Raven Shield buy it. Sure, they won't make bank off an 8 year old game but it's still money. And we all know Ubi loves money.

Upvote 0
It's out and noone commented on it?

Allright, so I'm the first. And I am almost at a loss for words. To sum it up in the briefest way: If you like IL2, you're better off sticking with IL2 1946 for now.

At least from what I can gather by the ten or so minutes I tried the training.

first, the pros:
  • the shadows look amazing
  • insane detail, like grass, random bicycles standing around etc.
  • clickable cockpit instruments

now, for the cons:
  • performance is abysmal, even on medium details (i7 870, 4 gb RAM, gforce GTX460)
  • Many controls don't work, even though assigned in the options. Many controls not to be found in the options at all, or at least not easily.
  • some textures are missing (most notably on the training plane, which just sports a yellow bumpmap)
  • radio chatter sounds odd and too fast/cut off
  • special effects like smoke and fire look worse than in Il2 1946

special training issues:
  • Instructs you to fly through rings, which are invisible.
  • no prompts for the controls.
  • explains procedures without letting you do them.

To sum it up, it looks and feels like a very half assed ww2 combat mod for FSX

And here's a screen, with everything maxed out. It sucks more than neccessary due to steams screenshot compression though.
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I hear what you're saying hockeywarrior, but it only makes sense to me if it's a mod for a game other than Ravenshield itself.
A mod of the game Ravenshield should be allowed to be called "Ravenshield Bloom Mod", for example. It makes no sense to go after a modder for this. The age of the game isn't even a factor in this.

@rattus: Do you have the filter on, by any chance? I could see it messing up your performance and your fire and smoke effects.:confused:

Upvote 0
I hear what you're saying hockeywarrior, but it only makes sense to me if it's a mod for a game other than Ravenshield itself.
A mod of the game Ravenshield should be allowed to be called "Ravenshield Bloom Mod", for example. It makes no sense to go after a modder for this. The age of the game isn't even a factor in this.

@rattus: Do you have the filter on, by any chance? I could see it messing up your performance and your fire and smoke effects.:confused:

nope, the epilepsy filter is off...

Upvote 0
It's out and noone commented on it?

Yesterday I saw this in gamespot: "Cliffs of Dover Release Date: Mar 22, 2011"... in excitement, I logged in steam... coincidentally a pop up appeared with Cliffs of Dover as "Available Now! click for details"...

And then...
OWqyK.jpg

:mad:

btw, if anyone buys this game, and already has SH3, I would glady accept it as a gift :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
3 active machines at the same time, or 3 activations for life???

As far as i can tell from a quick googeling, all other games with this Solidshield "3 machines" stuff has ment 3 activations, as in you can only install it 3 times (be it on the same machine or 3 different ones).

If that is infact the case, then IL2:CoD just went back on my boycott list.

Upvote 0
I recently watched some videos with great performance, but they were basically commercial super computers. Even then, there are plenty of people with great PCs that are getting terrible results.

I have an i7 930 quad core and 6 gigs of RAM but the lack of 64 bit also means that not all of it is used. And then there's my aging GTX 260 graphics card that will probably give me some trouble.

There are also reports that the game SEVERELY under uses CPU power and makes the GPU do all the work. This is the opposite of other flight sims and I hope that in the patches to come they totally revamp the memory management, aka, optimize the game. Otherwise, I fear my good PC stands no chance lol.

Upvote 0
I'm about to load up CoD and see how it runs. Keep in mind I've never played any of the other IL2 games before.

Let us know how it runs. After reading some posts on Simhq, looks like I will not even be able to play at low settings. :(

If anyone can give more insight on the American version's DRM do let me know as well. If there really are 3 activations for life I will not buy it. Shame that for every good game released, half of them are hampered by DRM and whatnot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just had a chat with a friend on Steam who has it, it has completely validated my decision not to buy.

This guys has an i7 970, 4GB ram and two 6950's in xfire, here are some of the things he told me;

- Ugly graphics
- Disappointing audio with no volume controls
- Horrible stuttering performance even in low
- He says it only ever uses 1 core, no matter what, and maxes out your GPU (well only one of them in his case)
- Laggy/buggy controls
- Completely broken training missions and solo missions
- Broken UI that makes binding controls very hard
- Non functioning multiplayer

My pre-order cancellation just got actioned yesterday, I feel like I've dodged a bullet :IS2:

Upvote 0
It's God awful. Just for ****s and giggles I put it on the highest settings and didn't customize anything beyond that.

Really odd stuttering as mentioned above, graphics are in no way that amazing that the performance should be that bad. It didn't really max out the GPU at all, so possibly CPU limited for me(? not sure).

Specs:
Core2Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
MSI 560GTX factory OC
6GB RAM

at 1920x1080

I couldn't get the Steam overlay to work so no shots, and FRAPS didn't work for me either. I'll try again tomorrow to get some numbers, or even in a few minutes after I get a drink. Depends on how much I want to torture myself with this before bed.

Upvote 0
Really odd stuttering as mentioned above, graphics are in no way that amazing that the performance should be that bad. It didn't really max out the GPU at all, so possibly CPU limited for me(? not sure).

That's strange, as for me, and many others, thje problem is the other way round: while the mid to top tier GPU is running maxed out (GeForce GTX460 with 1 GB RAM), my the process idles on one core of my four (i7 870) and not maxing it.

Also, the different graphical settings don't affect my performance in a noticable way.

Upvote 0
That's strange, as for me, and many others, thje problem is the other way round: while the mid to top tier GPU is running maxed out (GeForce GTX460 with 1 GB RAM), my the process idles on one core of my four (i7 870) and not maxing it.

Also, the different graphical settings don't affect my performance in a noticable way.
Here's the oddest thing. I load up one free flight level that is apparently all over water. My GPU is maxed out like you wouldn't believe but the framerate was passible, barely. I go to a more land based area in another level and the GPU usage is high and occasionally maxes out but was otherwise all well below 100% usage and the framerate was horrid.

Some shots with fraps, not showing much other than the FPS on the "Very High" settings.

Click them for 1920x1080:

EDIT: Oh, funny thing. The game doesn't like to actually close when you exit it. Twice now I've caught it still running in task manager after I've exited the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0