• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI staff question!

OnCrack

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
This has been said many times before, but there is nothing TWI can do if server admins run their servers beyond what their machines can handle. 64 player servers that are run on the hardware we've specified run fine. EVERY FPS that is released that allows people to run their own servers has this issue of server admins pushing their servers too far. After a few weeks people avoid those servers and they go away. Then the well adminned, well performing servers are the ones that remain.

Excuse me but how can you explain that your servers (number 4 UK precisely) show 80 ping in the browser and 136 in-game? Is it normal or what?
edit: screenshot
serverlag.png

PS: hope you'll be so kind to answer.

Since my question got ignored, I am making a new thread, but next time when I'll see devs responding to posts I will be faster in the hope to receive an answer in the sea of posts of this forum, easy to skip.

Would be very kind to give some kind of explanation to that, if it's supposed to happen I have no problems, or maybe you can investigate wether it is a bug or not.

Since my question got ignored, I am making a new thread, but next time when I'll see devs responding to posts I will be faster in the hope to receive an answer in the sea of posts of this forum, easy to skip.

Would be very kind to give some kind of explanation to that, if it's supposed to happen I have no problems, or maybe you can investigate wether it is a bug or not.

My guess is that the server browser shows just the round-trip-time (RTT aka ping) to the server while in game you have ping + processing time of the server.

Upvote 0
I think this was explained in the patch thread. Normally, ping is taken by taking your connection and waiting to see how long it takes for a response. In UT3 though, it includes that PLUS the general straining of the server it has to do, with all the players, effects etc. running.

Thus, the UT3 pinging sounds more complete and reflective to the game experience instead of an artificial controlled ping alone.

Upvote 0
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=67931&postcount=4

I've posted it some time ago but think is still valid for UT3

Check the second part of the post.

To extend that explanation, if the server is overload it will miss one or more ticks which will results in higher UT pings display. This is why sometime at the beginning of the round you can see pings climbing up to 10x the usual ping as the client / server is missing ticks due to loading the maps and setting up the UT world.

From the formulae of the UT ping you can see that the ping is influenced by the FPS so this is add to the explanation why the ping is varying from map to map or from situation to situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=67931&postcount=4[/URL]

I've posted it some time ago but think is still valid for UT3

Check the second part of the post.

To extend that explanation, if the server is overload it will miss one or more ticks which will results in higher UT pings display. This is why sometime at the beginning of the round you can see pings climbing up to 10x the usual ping as the client / server is missing ticks due to loading the maps and setting up the UT world.

From the formulae of the UT ping you can see that the ping is influenced by the FPS so this is add to the explanation why the ping is varying from map to map or from situation to situation.

If it really is something this simple, I'm relieved. Because I don't see more than 5 open servers with pings under 100...that have close to full loads. And I'm seeing pings close to 1000 on servers across the pond.

Upvote 0
I don't run a server, but I'm still interested in this.

I asked this before.
Is everyone running dedicated servers or are they running multiple games on the same box at the same time?

Your question almost makes no sense.

"Dedicated Servers or Multiple Games on the same box".

You can have MULTIPLE dedicated servers per DEDICATED box, not sure if that's what you were asking or not.

Upvote 0