• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Perfect Red Orchestra

I know there wont be any updates for Red Orchestra (sadly), but perhaps a Red Orchestra 2 in feeled 100 years.

So this would be my ideas:

Equipment/Weapons:
Soviets & Germans:
Tank hunter/Sapper:
2x magentic Hollowcharge (AT:very high)
2x Brandflasche/Molotov Cocktail (AT:low)
1xAT Rifle grenade (AT:medium)
Riflemen:
1x Rifle grenade (AT:low, like a handgrenade)
Germans only:
Panzerj

Last edited:
Soviets:
Dogmine:
The Soviets trained a lot of dogs to carry explosive under german tanks. Unfortunally (Fortunally for many dogs that were not trained because of that) the dogs often slipped under soviet tanks.
So as a dog mine, you are fast, with good stamina and you are small and hard to spot.
On the back side, you are killed faster and all soldiers and tanks (soviets and axis) look the same to you, you can only tell apart the front/rear from the sides of a tank, not even front and rear from another.
The other backside is: You explode.
Of course there should be only very few map with that.

Goes absolutely to the top 10 of worst and funniest ideas ever. :rolleyes:

Hilarious yes, but not a good idea.

Upvote 0
How about a Stretcher-Bearer class?

For every "dead" (actually badly-wounded) body you drag or carry back to spawn, your team gets an additional reinforcement.

(You know...I intended that as a joke...

...and I'm sure it would never be implemented...

...but now that I think about it, that actually sounds like a challenging minigame.)

Upvote 0
First I'll list some "bugs" that really irk me, then some features I think would be interesting (I'm sure the things I'm about to mention have been mentioned a billion times already ...):

Bugs:

- Character actual aiming direction versus appearance: Sometimes, especially when prone, the direction that a character is actually aiming/firing does not match up with the direction that the character *appears* to be aiming. For example, you might think you're sneaking up on an enemy because his rifle is pointed some 30 to 40 degrees upward (and perhaps off to the side), but in reality the enemy has you square in his sights.

- Body/weapon parts sticking through walls: Sometimes feet, but more often than not, weapons, can be seen sticking through walls. In either case, someone can be tracked moving behind a defensive position just by watching where their protruding gun is. Other times (even worse), body parts that stick through walls can be injured. This just doesn't make sense.

Features:

- Ability to cancel reload: Say you've just emptied your clip, started reloading, then notice a bunch of enemy shooting at you. You want to run, but you're reloading, so the best you can do is walk (or, in the case of LMG, do nothing). Wouldn't it make sense to be able to cancel reloading (or drop your weapon, in case you have an LMG) so you can run away?

- Effects of wounds: If you're hit in the leg, it doesn't make sense that you just slow down. I imagine if you were shot in the leg, you'd drop like a sack of potatoes.

- A "roll" evasive maneuver: For example, when you are prone, it takes forever to get up and run away from, say, a grenade that's landed right next to you, or a clown car bearing down on you at 40 km per hour. I think it would be cool to have an evasive "roll" maneuver that let's you get away. It might use up 50% of your stamina, so it couldn't be done all the time. Perhaps the roll maximum distance would decrease if you have less stamina (i.e., 50% to initiate the roll, and as you perform the roll, stamina drops until you either stop the roll, or run out of stamina).

- Different free-standing iron-sight stability for different weapon types: So, when looking down iron sights, a heavy weapon like a rifle would start wavering more quickly than a light weapon like an SMG. Alternatively, certain classes, say, sniper, would be able to hold their sights steady for a longer time.

- Different run speeds: Say, if you're carrying an 11kg beast like an MG42, you shouldn't be able to run as quickly as compared to when you're carrying just a pistol. Similarly, if you're running up hill, you shouldn't be able to run as quickly as when you're running across level ground.

So, those are some of my thoughts. My guess is that a lot of these would require modifying big parts of the engine, and perhaps cost more in CPU power than they would contribute to gameplay quality, but they would certainly, IMHO, add realism.

- tsoor

Upvote 0
These are good suggestions. The dog one is very creative/funny but doesn't fit well lol.
@ TSOOR: I have noticed all of those bugs before and agree that they really need fixed.

I've suggested this before:

Be able to lay tripwires or other boby-traps using grenades (this can be done on some CoD2 mods). After all the game is made by Tripwire Interactive :rolleyes:

New suggestion:

Adding Katyusha Rocket Launchers (the infamous Stalin's Organ) for use as artillery support might make game play interesting

Major Gameplay suggestion:

In real life, men defending a position (especially trenches or other prepared positions) usually did not have to run to the spot as the enemy was attacking. They were usually ready and waiting and thus the assaulting side would have to call either artillery or air support or flank them if possible. This would drastically affect gameplay but could be fixed by giving the assaulting team more advantages such as more artillery support and/or extra reinforcements). Reinforcements however, would have to sprint to the front lines since they were usually in reserve anyway.

One other fix:

The one thing that annoys me about all FPS is that they have major nade spam problems. This could be fixed multiple ways:

1) Only give grenades to the assault classes (in RL they were given extra grenades) and perhaps 1 nade to riflemen so they have a chance.

2) Make strong penalties for killing a teammate with a grenade (unless it is a dead nade or the nade also kills an enemy)

3)Give extra points for conserving grenades.

These fixes may or may not work but the main problem is that the maps are always the same. If there was a practical way for the game to auto-gen maps so that it was a bit different each time then players would not know where the major nade spam areas would be.

Upvote 0
Mortar:
- Has a mortar (for germans 5cm, 8cm or later 12cm, Soviets have 8cm or 12,2cm, the smaller ones should fire faster and have more ammuniton)
- Need ~30sec. to set it up
- Can only adjust the mortar, must try out where he hits. If he does fire indirect, other squad members must give him feedback (,,to short, more eastward...)
- Squad members must bring new mortar rounds.

This is a good idea. No mortar, no real war.

Medic:
- Can heal minor wounds. Can treat casulties, bringing 0.1 Reinforcements back for each treated causlity.

I think that medic would be very boring to play ^ ^;

Upvote 0
I've been suggesting this for some time. Dynamic Caps and Spawns. This would mean say a map like Stalingrad you'd have to say one round get them as they are now but maybe the next time you played you'd have to get say North First, then South then Warehouse then Assembly to finally win and so on.

It's easy enough to allow certain things on the map cappable so this way every single time you played it the game would be different and it wouldn't be like in robot mode doing the same things over and over. Once the skilled players have their paths laid down it's just the same old over and over. With it dynamic now every round would be a thinking game and not the same old routines to win...

You'd also have to have the spawns be in respect to how the caps would be laid out but these two items usually coexist side by side on maps.

Mortars are already in the game via the Carpathian Crosses MOD. Sure it's not in RO or DH or MN but they are implemented how you guys have mentioned you wish they were via the CC mod...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, this is a cool idea. I also like the idea of reversing who is attacking/defending: I remember when playing Zhitomir-revenge for the first time that it was cool that the Allies were on the offense. A map like ... Smolensk Stalemate in reverse would be cool.

I've been suggesting this for some time. Dynamic Caps and Spawns. This would mean say a map like Stalingrad you'd have to say one round get them as they are now but maybe the next time you played you'd have to get say North First, then South then Warehouse then Assembly to finally win and so on.

It's easy enough to allow certain things on the map cappable so this way every single time you played it the game would be different and it wouldn't be like in robot mode doing the same things over and over. Once the skilled players have their paths laid down it's just the same old over and over. With it dynamic now every round would be a thinking game and not the same old routines to win...

You'd also have to have the spawns be in respect to how the caps would be laid out but these two items usually coexist side by side on maps.

Mortars are already in the game via the Carpathian Crosses MOD. Sure it's not in RO or DH or MN but they are implemented how you guys have mentioned you wish they were via the CC mod...

Upvote 0
Good ideas, but...

Good ideas, but...

Hi..
Good ideas, but almost half the vehicles are not important in my eyes.
Instead, some tweaks in the game engine is more urgent:

- When you shoot a commanders, the binoculars should be on the ground, as all his weapons is.

- Wooden fences and treestomps shold not be an obsticle for tanks, run it over(steel fury for an example)

- The guns of tanks sholud not be able to swing through houses and trees.

- The noise from a tank is way the low, a real tank is very loud, so why is it posible for a t34 to sneak up the infantry?

- A STAT-system like Battlefield would be nice.

- A squad-system like Battlefield would make it able to do real tactical manouvers.

- A cool thing in my eyes would be, if bodies and destroyed tanks saty on the battlefield throughout the game.

- Tankcommanders dont have to have their hole torso out of the cupola to have a look around.

- NO HACKING POSSIBLE! just hate when someone is cheating.

Just some ideas, hope all of our good ideas will be thought of in Red Orchestra 2..

Upvote 0
Hi..
- When you shoot a commanders, the binoculars should be on the ground, as all his weapons is.

Agreed, however dropped binoculars should not be able to set rally points or arty strikes. I think, at one point the MGers and PTRDs had binoculars too, and they didn't set points, so we know that's possible.

- Wooden fences and treestomps shold not be an obsticle for tanks, run it over(steel fury for an example)

- The guns of tanks sholud not be able to swing through houses and trees.

This is just engine limitations. We all want penetratable and destroyable surfaces.

- The noise from a tank is way the low, a real tank is very loud, so why is it posible for a t34 to sneak up the infantry?

This is a chronic problem with tanks, agreed.

- A STAT-system like Battlefield would be nice.
- A squad-system like Battlefield would make it able to do real tactical manouvers.

Not really sure what the squad system is, but we REALLY don't need any more stat tracking in game. The RO community generally doesn't care about stats, and stat tracking leads to stat-whores. So that probably won't gain much support.

- A cool thing in my eyes would be, if bodies and destroyed tanks saty on the battlefield throughout the game.

Would be interesting, but I have a feeling the maps would become very cluttered, very fast. Not to mention if a tank gets destroyed in a key chokepoint and blocks off the whole map. Also, ragdolls (bodies) and such are rendered client side, so they're in a different position for everyone.

- Tankcommanders dont have to have their hole torso out of the cupola to have a look around.

Again, common request, agreed.

Upvote 0
  • Add Flamethrowers - Give them to the Bunker Clearing class.
  • First Person Actor - Ability to see your own chest and legs.
  • New Tank Damage System - Similar to Call of Duty: World at War when you hit a tank, parts of it get blown off.
  • Mantling - Scale over a 6ft wall with ease.
  • Destructible Environments - (I don't want a fully destructible world just the parts that don't take up alot of resources) Tanks can run over fences, sandbags, etc. Trees can fall over, parts of buildings can be destroyed, bridges can collapse, etc
  • Include the Winter War (Finns against the Russians).
  • First Person Cover - Similar to Killzone 2, the player can take cover behind an object and then pop out to fire at enemies, can also blind fire in that fashion.
  • 3D Immersive Sound - You can hear footsteps coming towards you from behind, bullets sound different when fired in different environments, etc. check this out for more ideas - http://www.callofduty.com/intel/185
  • Control Planes - Be in command of a fighter or bomber aircraft and take out the enemy from the skies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
New Tank Damage System - Similar to Call of Duty: World at War when you hit a tank, parts of it get blown off.

What parts would get blown off? When a tank shell hits the armor and doesn't penetrate, chunks of metal don't go flying off...

First Person Cover - Similar to Killzone 2, the player can take cover behind an object and then pop out to fire at enemies, can also blind fire in that fashion.

I'm not a big fan blind fire mechanics in games. It's not really effective anyway.

3D Immersive Sound - You can hear footsteps coming towards you from behind, bullets sound different when fired in different environments, etc. check this out for more ideas - http://www.callofduty.com/intel/185

We have this now??? You can hear people walking behind you, shooting in the next room, etc. It would be interesting to have indoor sound effect and slight deafening and such though.

Control Planes - Be in command of a fighter or bomber aircraft and take out the enemy from the skies.

No and double no. This is squad to platoon level combat. They never had access to immediate close air support, and we don't need player controlled planes. This isn't BF1942.

Upvote 0