• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A proper M14 fix, Not an idea, but a bugfix

Unit-05

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
Now the most people think that the m14 is just meh, firing into the hoard with little results untill they say "F**K IT", throw it aside and use a lever action rifle and hand cannon or a crossbow. But the reason why you cant seem to do that, is because the Ironsight is Actually off center by a few millimeters.
m14e.jpg

Now that may not seem much of a big deal right? Up close m14 is fine, you can pop heads, but what about at long distances? you can't see the laser, and when you try you can almost never get a headshot with the damn thing. At long distances, millimeters do make a major difference when hitting the head or not. It really does.

To test to see how effective to would be if the aim was corrected (and you can do this yourself and see it.).

I put on the laser sight, Without ironsights and pointed at a wall I am flat up against.

I took a clear sliver of tape, Drew a small red dot and put tape on my moniter exactly over the center point of the laser.

And when I tested it, I was popping husk heads on that table you see in the picture all the hell way down to the church. I kid you not. It became Very devastating.

The weapon has out performed the lever action rifle in almost every way. But at this moment, It cant, because its aim is off! not without compensating for its offset aim, and the lever action rifle's ironsight is dead on center. Theres nothing wrong with the rifle as of stats, Its ironsight has to be fixed, Thats all. Its such a tiny, tiny, mistake no one has ever noticed it, but because its ironsight is off as such, it put a major dent in its effectiveness. Who knew such a small hard to see mistake can have such an effect?

Last edited:
Maybe its because the M14EBR laser only aims exactly where the gun is looking only when it's reloading, if TWI simply takes that line of code out, I'm sure it would fix a problem or two.

Thats like saying the engine of your car will stop stalling if you remove the tires of your wheels..

Removing the laser aim from the gun isnt going to fix the offset ironsight from the gun, which is why you can't snipe with it effectively...

Fixing the positioning of the gun will.

It is not the laser that is off, Its the ironsight that is. Where the laser sight is pointing, is the eact spot of where you will hit. But you cant see the laser pointer far away, and because the ironsight is off, it makes it near impossible to use in the heat of combat unless its near point blank range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats like saying the engine of your car will stop stalling if you remove the tires of your wheels..

Removing the laser aim from the gun isnt going to fix the offset ironsight from the gun, which is why you can't snipe with it effectively...

It is not the laser that is off, Its the ironsight that is. Where the laser sight is pointing, is the eact spot of where you will hit. But you cant see the laser pointer far away, and because the ironsight is off, it makes it near impossible to use in the heat of combat unless its near point blank range.

Yep. And even if the Ironsight wasn't off, it's still a TERRIBLE ironsight.

But yeah, that tiny, almost insignificant offset on the iron sights makes sniping near impossible, thus making the gun useless for anything but point-blank head-poppage even if you can manage to use the nasty looking sights.

Seriously, though, you should screenshot a bit more and put this in the Bug Reporting section on this forums. It's a serious gameplay bug that makes an already troubled weapon nigh-useless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No I mean the laser updates dynamically only when the M14 is reloading, anything else it will stay at the center of the screen(probably off by a bit) regardless or where the weapon moves.

Can you rephrase that? :confused:

In my experience, the laser is always correct in terms of where your shot will hit. But then, the laser is extremely hard to see past 30 yards, and impossible past 50.

Upvote 0

Where did he suggest removing the laser? :confused:

Upvote 0
When I try to long-range M14 snipe, I find myself using the ironsights to find where the laser sight has wandered off to, then using the laser sight to find where the Zed's head has wandered off to. By then it's in my face and I might as well not have bothered.

Also, the laser sight disappears upon touching a cloaked Stalker, instead of going through it. Kinda lame.

Upvote 0
Lol, that would be a tricky fix. Stalkers are still actually there, so the dot registers due to the fact that it is a texture. It is the same reason why there are shadows under the Stalker I'm guessing.
Maybe Tripwire made it so that it's not there to compensate for the fact that it can't go through, though it's not that much less suspicious. :p

Upvote 0
Yeah I will take a few more pictures and submit it on the bugfix page. But Atleast we can finally bolt down of what is wrong with the gun, Finally. No longer will we need to listen to how to fix the gun.

but for now, when sniping, compensate for the offset, and you will fall in love with the gun all over again, Study that picture closely to see how much its off against.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never use the iron-sight on that thing. Unless of course we're playing shooting range, in maps like MountainPass, ignoring the gorefasts less than 30 ft away and focusing on the clots which are 100+ ft away.

As for the laser, i just use it as a guide to figure out where the center of my screen is.

Its fine the way it is, if i see the laser on a specimen's chest, i already know by how much i have to adjust to get a headshot. With this in mind, i never rely on the laser a 100%, its just a guide of some sort, much like how some sharpshooters shoot the floor or the wall next to the specimen to figure out where the center of their screen is with their 9mm and then adjusting to get the headshot. It's just to help you hip shoot more effectively, not give you an actual crosshair.

I never really thought the m14 as that kind of "long-range" weapon. I always viewed it as a close-mid range weapon, allowing you to run and gun as compared to the xbow loadout where you stay put in one defensive position.

Upvote 0