• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

NO guns-holograms

RiccardoTheBeAst

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Italy
As you can see, in RO:Ost the cannons of tank, AT, SPG etc are only holograms....they can penetrate the trees, they can penetrate other tank, they can penetrate buildings, the infantry can traverse them etc etc.

i think that it might be a good idea to make them "concrete" and "physical".......this can make big difference, expecially in urban combat (or even in the forests) because the tank will have problem to rotate the turret in the tight street, if they rotate the turret, then the cannon will collide with the nearby buildings

i made a stupid image with paint to explain:)D:D:D):

immagineues.jpg

Last edited:
agreed. a really annoying thing about ROOST is experiencing this. especially when you look through the sites of the cannon and it looks through the wall, but it's literally inside of the wall. pain in the butt when you're shooting the gun/mg and the shot appears to never go anywhere.

also you put the tank infront of a tree. you find a target you think: " damn tree i'm i gonna hit the tree ??? yes, no cant find out damn! i hit the tree, fu.

Upvote 0
Just a matter of doing more work on adding collision primitives for movable parts I assume.
This was already possible in Unreal Engine 2 afaik.

However, cutting propulsion when body collision occurs would be a great idea. Don't know how the tank would react if it's just the barrel colliding with something as simple as a lightpost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
also you put the tank infront of a tree. you find a target you think: " damn tree i'm i gonna hit the tree ??? yes, no cant find out damn! i hit the tree, fu.

OH TEH TREES!!!!!! i almost forgot about that whole issue..........so i shoot a tree with a tank shell, you'd think it could destroy the tree right? assuming since bullet penetration and limited destructable environment will be in the next game, they'll also apply to plants :D

Upvote 0
Tripwire did include collision detection, even when looking down the sights, with small arms.

It will do a hell of a lot to gameplay, bugs.

Clipping was also an issue with infantrymen in RO Ost. I don't see any problem with this suggestion. If it can be implemented with reasonable budget/time constraints, it should be, IMO.

Upvote 0
As you can see, in RO:Ost the cannons of tank, AT, SPG etc are only holograms....they can penetrate the trees, they can penetrate other tank, they can penetrate buildings, the infantry can traverse them etc etc.

i think that it might be a good idea to make them "concrete" and "physical".......this can make big difference, expecially in urban combat (or even in the forests) because the tank will have problem to rotate the turret in the tight street, if they rotate the turret, then the cannon will collide with the nearby buildings

i made a stupid image with paint to explain:)D:D:D):

immagineues.jpg

great idea

Upvote 0
For sure it is possible

Unreal engine 3 feature is

Visual physics modeling tool built into UnrealEd, supporting creation of optimized collision primitives for models and skeletal animated meshes; constraint editing; and interactive physics simulation and tweaking in-editor.

Basic Physics, Collision Detection, Rigid Body, Vehicle Physics: • Rigid body physics system supporting player interaction with physical game object, ragdoll character animation, complex vehicles, and dismemberable objects.

http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=25

YouTube - Next-Gen Unreal Engine Tech Demo, from Epic Games
skip movie to 4:44

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seen allot of mods and some games try to do this, they usually take it out because it doesn't work properly.
Having a small collision mesh that is forced around by the player combined with latency caused huge problems. When they tried it in PR mod it made the tanks flip out or the barrel got stuck in the wall.
I don't know well the engine for HOS can cope with it though, maybe it'll work.

Upvote 0
great idea!!! now we can all have a Kelly's Heroes moment in RO :D :D

and no paint this time.....

Oddball said:
Well, yeah, man, you see, like, all the tanks we come up against are bigger and better than ours, so all we can hope to do is, like, scare 'em away, y'know. This gun is an ordinary 76mm but we add this piece of pipe onto it, and the Krauts think, like, maybe it's a 90mm. We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people.

Of course this quote could work really well with HOS....

Oddball said:
To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

thanks for the inspiration to bring this classic up! :)

Upvote 0