• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What in HOS are you most worried about?

I don't see that as the case. Just because some players might hide certainly doesn't mean that all players do. In fact I find most do fight in the capzone.
From my experience "most" guys are hiding on their side of the cap. Could be that it was better when Ostfront was still fresh. Maybe your experience comes from 50 player servers. It's just that the "good" spots are already taken by somebody, so they have to go deeper into the cap :D

Also, just because you don't get a kill while in the capzone doesn't mean they aren't contributing. You can be firing or denying the enemy entry into the objective.
Denying the enemy entry into the cap, while hiding in the deepest corner on your own side of it? Or take zhitomir, how is someone doing what you described, while hiding in the first room in one of the komsomol hallways?

And finally, RO is not all about making the kills, that is part of the appeal of the game :D
If you want to win it is! I thought that's the reason why we are discussing it?! You cap to win, arent you? Or is it just the awesome sound when you cap, that is so appealing to people?
Hell, you can even play tetris without moving a block at all. It's so awesome to watch the blocks falling!!1

Upvote 0
...Denying the enemy entry into the cap, while hiding in the deepest corner on your own side of it? Or take zhitomir, how is someone doing what you described, while hiding in the first room in one of the komsomol hallways?

Again, you are assuming that a player is hiding in the cap and doesn't get a kill. You can be firing (in the case of Zhitomir) down a hall and missing, yet keeping a few players from advancing into an area. Remember, not all attackers will just blindly rush an area to get shot.

...If you want to win it is! I thought that's the reason why we are discussing it?! You cap to win, arent you? Or is it just the awesome sound when you cap, that is so appealing to people?
Hell, you can even play tetris without moving a block at all. It's so awesome to watch the blocks falling!!1

I didn't say it isn't about killing the enemy, I said its not all about killing the enemy. That is a huge difference. :p

Upvote 0
Isn't it better to try and make it less bad to die inside an objective. If it could be possible to be rewarded for the cap even after you have died, then people could be more encoruaged to do the tactically right thing to do while trying to get as high score as possible. Exactly how, I dunno. But I bet it is a good start to look at it from that angle instead =).

Reactions: bobsynergy
Upvote 0
So then there should be no heroes to begin with, or you only get one life as a hero then spawn as a regular guy.

The "hero" idea is absurd, Im talking about battle hardened people. I don't think it goes from "raw recruit" to "hero" in one fell swoop, unless that's what tripwire has said.

If it was a gradual transition from recruit to hero (with everything in-between) over about 400 game hours then I think it'd be fair.

Upvote 0
Coop - Just because so little has been said outside of the 'terrorist hunt' skirmish mode.

Command - I really hope for a command system straight out of Brother In Arms - The hand signal system and markers (which should be optional for strict realism) would be second to none for squad level commanding.

3d Audio - Hope it's positional

Clone's - Hope there's an option of basic customisation for face/uniform without braking realism, at the very least a selection of facial textures ala ArmA to prevent 64 identical men running around

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem with K/D ratio is that on some maps, having a decent K/D ratio means you likely were not helping your team.

I'm thinking of attacking maps, where reinforcements are not a concern. When there's a couple of minutes left in the round and one zone to cap I don't want my teamates hanging back making sure their K/D ratio doesn't drop.

Reactions: SS-Kommando
Upvote 0
A nice thing about Red Ochestra is that there is no K/D ratio in the screen that show the score.

I don't understand if in RO:2 there is or there isn't K/D ratio.
In my opinion is a bad thing, because a lot of perople don't think about the team and the goals but think about K/D ratio... as happens on Battlefiled Bad compnay 2.

Upvote 0
Again, you are assuming that a player is hiding in the cap and doesn't get a kill. You can be firing (in the case of Zhitomir) down a hall and missing, yet keeping a few players from advancing into an area. Remember, not all attackers will just blindly rush an area to get shot.
I am not assuming anything. I just stated what I observed in several years of playing RO.
It seems you are missing the point. How can you shoot down the hallway and hence block it - which is totally fine - when hiding in one of the small side rooms in the komsomol apps from my previous example?

Isn't it better to try and make it less bad to die inside an objective. If it could be possible to be rewarded for the cap even after you have died, then people could be more encoruaged to do the tactically right thing to do while trying to get as high score as possible. Exactly how, I dunno. But I bet it is a good start to look at it from that angle instead =).

Mhh, wouldn't my idea to give +5 points (not kills) when killing enemys inside the cap a solution to it? Easier to get 10 points by killing 2 enemies inside the capzone, than capping itself :)

[QUOTE=M

Upvote 0
I am not assuming anything. I just stated what I observed in several years of playing RO.
It seems you are missing the point. How can you shoot down the hallway and hence block it - which is totally fine - when hiding in one of the small side rooms in the komsomol apps from my previous example?

Ughhh.... Fine. All players just enter the capzone and hide. That is all I ever do and all I ever see others do. The only time any fighting goes on is when two players on opposing teams try to hide in the same room. No one ever tries to actually fight in the capzone and sometimes end up with no kills. Happy? :troll:

Sounds silly, huh? :p

My point is it would be unfair to eliminate points for players who just happen to get no kills while contributing.

Upvote 0
Ughhh.... Fine. All players just enter the capzone and hide. That is all I ever do and all I ever see others do. The only time any fighting goes on is when two players on opposing teams try to hide in the same room. No one ever tries to actually fight in the capzone and sometimes end up with no kills. Happy? :troll:

Sounds silly, huh? :p
Silly? Sounds like a normal round of public play to me.
Nah, what I actually said is that "many" guys play like that. And not too often, it totally messes up the whole team.

My point is it would be unfair to eliminate points for players who just happen to get no kills while contributing.

Contributing what? Holding the uber important toilet room? Also why do you twist the words in my mouth? I never said I want to have cap points removed, I just said I want guys rewarded who actually do something in a capzone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Re: capping in the corner of the zone

Re: capping in the corner of the zone

I've got an idea to discourage hiding in the corner of the zone and capping. Instead of a binary in the zone out of the zone, have three levels of zone capping power. The closer you are to the core of the cap zone the quicker your team is able to cap. It still requires you to have more teammates in the zone than the other team, but once the bar starts moving then the closer you are to the center the more influence your character has on speeding up the process. So if your entire team is huddled up outside of a building where the zone just happens to extend then it will take a long time to cap. But if your entire team is in the building and the enemies are the ones hanging out on the outside then the countdown will go faster. Also, say you decide on three levels of the cap zone, then once your team gets it people who were capping in zone one get 12 points, zone two get 10 and zone three get 8.

Upvote 0
Silly? Sounds like a normal round of public play to me.
Nah, what I actually said is that "many" guys play like that. And not too often, it totally messes up the whole team.

Contributing what? Holding the uber important toilet room? Also why do you twist the words in my mouth? I never said I want to have cap points removed, I just said I want guys rewarded who actually do something in a capzone.

Well forgive me if you said "no kills no cap" as that sounds as if you mean that if you don't score any kills while in the capzone that you shouldn't get the points for capping it, especially when you say that the game is all about making kills. It makes it sound as if you feel the players in the capzone that don't score a kill, whether they are on the toilet ( :p ) or firing at the enemy and not having any luck, don't deserve the points. :D

Upvote 0
Well forgive me if you said "no kills no cap" as that sounds as if you mean that if you don't score any kills while in the capzone that you shouldn't get the points for capping it, especially when you say that the game is all about making kills. It makes it sound as if you feel the players in the capzone that don't score a kill, whether they are on the toilet ( :p ) or firing at the enemy and not having any luck, don't deserve the points. :D

"No kills no cap" as in a team can't capture something without making kills at all. I thought I made myself clear enough when I also said "no kills, lose cap" regarding the defending team.

Not for people who face enemies of equal skill ^^.
Yeah but who said capturing an objective is easy against guys of equal skill? :p

I like the idea, M

Last edited:
Upvote 0