• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

broken computer, power supply?

Jono

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
Soo straight to it then. I left my computer in storage for 3 months over summer and when I came to reboot it, well it didn't start. All the fans are turning including CPU and PSU but the latter is slower than usual I think. Mobo light is on but GFX fan isn't turning so I assume its not getting power.

Anyway I tested the GFX in my friends computer and its fine. I replaced one of the power cables but it still doesn't work so I think the PSU has gone.

Specs;
PSU- 450w Resus
GFX- GTX 260 superclocked evga nvidia
Mobo- Intel P55 something.. Can't remember off the top of my head

Does it look like the PSU has gone and a bigger question: I can only afford to spend around 50 pounds so can you recommend any good value PSUs?

This problem is being a *****.

Here are my full specs btw:

Mobo: Intel DP55WB bulk
GFX:GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked 896MB DDR3
RAM: Kingston HyperX XMP 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz

The power supply had gone haywire. I had a tech come round and test it and he said that it was giving out erratic voltages. So I replaced the power supply with an Antec 550w. Is this compatible? (link: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-118-AN)

Anyway I hooked it all up and the fans turn for a second then stop. Then they turn after 5 secs and stop again. This just goes on. Either the PSU was a bad buy and its not right (although i unplugged everything else and just had the RAM and mobo connected but still the same result) or the motherboard was fried when the old PSU went bye bye.

Before I fork out a bundle of cash for a mobo i just wanted to run this past you lot. Any ideas?

Oh and finally, if Im going to replace the mobo, considering my specs what would you recommend on a budget?

Upvote 0
I have no idea how to test mobo functionality...
You can't in all practicality, without having another motherboard handy. It sounds to me like the motherboard has either become defective, or as was suggested earlier its BIOS needs resetting. The system powering up and then down, and repeating, typically points to incorrect clock speeds - most motherboards these days will auto-correct these after a few failures however. Does your graphics card fan now spin or not? The only other thing to check is that you have connected all the power cables correctly, making sure you have plugged in the large motherboard cable, the small CPU cable, and the cable to your graphics card, and to re-seat all the components.

Upvote 0
Did a memory stick come partially loose. I had a system do what you said yours is doing. I reseated the memory, and it worked fine. It's worth a look at any rate. Also, if you have multiple sticks, you can try using one at a time as a bad stick can cause it too.

I had this happen on a laptop the other day. I had to completely remove the memory and then re-insert it, but then it booted right up.

Upvote 0
Cheers for the help btw, I'll buy you all internet beers :D

Anyway back to the problem.

So I reseated everything (not the CPU though), reconnected all the power cables: large motherboard cable, the small motherboard cable (I assume this is the CPU cable), the two to the graphics card, Hard drive, DVD rewriter.. But still the same.

The fans turn, the graphics card's fan still does nothing though, for a second then stop for about five and try again.

So essentially with the new power supply, not only is the GFX card not responding but i now have this endless bootup cycle. I really don't know what to do. Are we sure that the PSU I linked earlier is adequate for my computer? If not I can only think that the mobo has gone.

Oh and there hasn't been one beep since all of this started. Apart from the fans turning it doesn't emit any warning signs whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Actually now you say it. There was a burning smell and I tried to find it (by awkwardly sniffing around the inside the computer) but it wasn't the PSU. I guess it was the mobo but at the time the smell was so brief that I gave it little importance.

Considering my specs, what mobo do you recommend? Should I just get the same one again?

Upvote 0