• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROLadder.net's new clothes

Smokey, we actually have had a betting system for years at roladder.net.
Well, its not perfect but it works. ;)

For the new site we're aiming for a betting system that is similiar to bets in real life. Although its not sure yet if this will be at the very first version of the site we're definitly implement it as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
Besides this we would like to introduce our new partner XstreamGaming.net. They will support RO:Ladder with their Gameservers in upcoming competitions and events.

this sounds like a very good idea and am glad to see that it's being pursued.....i always believed that if it was possible, the best solution for matches would be for all to be played on official servers.

although one thing concerns me....at first glance XstreamGaming appears to only offer a small amount of gameservers and they are all located in the UK (assuming other Euro locations).

perhaps they do offer various US locations, but if they don't then how do you plan on addressing sever hosting issues for NA and intercon matches?

Upvote 0
this sounds like a very good idea and am glad to see that it's being pursued.....i always believed that if it was possible, the best solution for matches would be for all to be played on official servers.

although one thing concerns me....at first glance XstreamGaming appears to only offer a small amount of gameservers and they are all located in the UK (assuming other Euro locations).

perhaps they do offer various US locations, but if they don't then how do you plan on addressing sever hosting issues for NA and intercon matches?

Now I could be wrong here (aka my guess at this point is as good as yours). But it hasn't been stated that, said server will be the only server the matches will be played on.

So at this point it isn't known whether the sponsored server will be used like the one for Roost (aka clans without a server can book it and then utilize it), or that all matches will be played forcefully on that one server.

Although closed down servers bring distinct advantages by making it difficult for clans to meddle with them. Most matches happen at the same time and same day, requiring a big amount of servers to be able to full fill to the needs of the community (especially when you need multiple servers all over the world). Next to that at all times someone should be available to help people, with issues (unless everybody got server Admin access).

The servers in the ROleague gave me a lot of headaches as often when issues occurred nobody online had the access to fix relatively easy things (like changing the maps in the voting list, making it impossible to play a certain map). Together with matches having to be rescheduled as the servers were busy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The servers in the ROleague gave me a lot of headaches as often when issues occurred nobody online had the access to fix relatively easy things (like changing the maps in the voting list, making it impossible to play a certain map). Together with matches having to be rescheduled as the servers were busy.

mind you, they gave me (and others) plenty of headaches as well!! :mad::D the concept itself was good, it's just that there were too many issues that prevented the concept from fully developing, unfortunately since most of those issues were beyond the control of server admins and team leaders. hoping that TW implements more userfriendly server administration (and better gametypes suited for clan v. clan matches), it's still within the realm of possibility to set up official servers with an automated booking system, but that's just something to perhaps look at further down the road as like you said, nothing has really been discussed about matchservers...

i guess my point would be more like, ok say XtreamGaming lends x amount of servers to ROLadder to be used for matches etc....from what i see, all those servers will be EU based. my suggestion would be that if no NA server locations could be provided by Xtream or another sponsor, then possibly reserve said donated/sponsored servers for intercon matches only.....that way not to favor players from one part of the global community over others ;)

oh, but back to the main thing, the updates are looking good. interested to see where things are going leading up to RO2's release :)

Upvote 0
Often the community is divided into opposing camps when it comes to the question what communication tool someone should use to arrange clanwars. Some prefer IRC, some prefer PM's and others Steamchat. We thought a lot about how to make the communication easier so that registering at several clan websites or idle countless hours at IRC channels will be something from the past.
That's where our new seamless integrated website chat comes into line. With the new page we introduce an embedded XMPP chat where you don't have to register somekind of an extra account. It is possible to use groupchats for multi-user communication or just talk to one of your friends instead. For internal communication clans are free to create their own private channel or special rooms for clanleaders to arrange matches much faster. The point is that you can also use one of the external client programs (eg. Pidgin) that allows you to get connected with MSN, ICQ, IRC and of course our new RO:Ladder chat with only one program to start.

RO:Ladder - less organizing, more playing!

Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0
Smokey, we actually have had a betting system for years at roladder.net.
Well, its not perfect but it works. ;)

It's broken and dumb :p

Please consider having 1 bet per match, Where the winner at the end of a betting season is simply the one with the most correct bets. Having multiple credits doesnt make sense, everyone at the top gave credits to thier clanmates to bet for them to beat the betting limit. Then it's no longer about who wins but who has the most betting smurf accounts to bet 10billion on insomnis vs ROnoobs.

Upvote 0
As silly as it might be it was a clear success, so considering that it is supposedly so silly it can only get better ;). Things do not need to be perfect to be enjoyed.

I'm not saying it wasn't fun. I enjoy the added game within a game feel that the betting allows. But it really could be improved. As it is now, it's just silly, imo. Hence my post.

Reactions: smokeythebear
Upvote 0
Just some feedback about the logo.

You'd maybe want to tone the brightness of the ADDER.NET part down just a little bit to match with the orange first letters. Currently the ADDER.NET part stands out a bit too much in my opinion.

that has kinda bugged me as well....it just looks like "ADDER.NET". actually the main "logo" graphic (the r, backwards L and second L) combined with the text portions continue to puzzle me as they just aren't very attractive........although graphics are things that could always be changed, whereas the site shell and coding on the other hand is really what's really important, and obviously that's all looking pretty good so far.

Upvote 0