• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Territory, Countdown, or Firefight?

Territory, Countdown, or Firefight?

• Territory

Votes: 231 75.2%
  • Countdown

Votes: 132 43.0%
  • Firefight

Votes: 44 14.3%

• Total voters
Territory will be the main one I play, but I really like the look of Countdown, there is a tension you get in a single life gametype which you just don't get in respawn gametypes. I always though "SD" for RO would work really well, particularly for clan matches, and this is basically it.

I won't touch the Firefight gametype though, TDM just doesn't interest me I prefer to have an objective to fight over.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind, this is a pretty biased poll. Most people on these boards play ROOST, and that's all about Territory mode. Of course people here like Territory, or else they wouldn't play ROOST.

That said, I hear there won't be any class or weapon limits in Firefight. Seems like a good way to get my hands on a scoped rifle and get some practice in, but it doesn't sound like my kind of game.

Upvote 0
So, the class menu will look like this?

Assault-0
Semi-Auto Rifleman-0
Rifleman-0
Machine-Gunner-0
Squad Leader-0
Sniper-32

I think snipers only could be "cod unrealistic" fun, why do people seem to think there is only one way to play the game? Why do people have to play the game as a sim instead of a way to relax and have some dumb fun?

I think there'd be more assaults than snipers personally ;p

Upvote 0
I think I would play all 3. I do like the original game mode. I do like playing World of Tanks and CS, 1 life per round so the other game mode is fine for me. I also like TDM as well. Especially since they said there are no class or weapon limits in it. So you get to play around with all the shiny guns :D.

Upvote 0
I think snipers only could be "cod unrealistic" fun, why do people seem to think there is only one way to play the game? Why do people have to play the game as a sim instead of a way to relax and have some dumb fun?

I think there'd be more assaults than snipers personally ;p

It would depend on the map but historically it will be all of one or the other :p

Upvote 0
Keep in mind, this is a pretty biased poll. Most people on these boards play ROOST, and that's all about Territory mode. Of course people here like Territory, or else they wouldn't play ROOST.

I think most of us vote for what we expect we'll play most often, but that doesen't mean we won't be playing the others too.

I was actually pretty interested in Firefight, as a more casual jump-in-for-a-quick-round sort of mode, i felt that sounded like a good addition.
But now that we know there wont be any class/weapon restrictions, i seriously doubt i'll play it online, unless there are servers that run mutators to add the restrictions back in.

Countdown also sounds fun, i'm not usually a fan of 1-life gametypes, but it sounds like Countdown wont have that long and annoying downtime if you get shot at the beginning of a round, so i'll definately give that a fair go.

And i will most definately get some of my freinds in on some coop play, that's a given.

Upvote 0
What made me interested in Firefight the most, is the spawn system. So it won't be like everyone running randomly like headless chicken, as it sounded at first when one heard "Team deathmatch".

How is the spawn system going to be? Will there still be a front or will you spawn all over the map? I haven't heard anything specific about the spawn system myself.

Upvote 0
How is the spawn system going to be? Will there still be a front or will you spawn all over the map? I haven't heard anything specific about the spawn system myself.

They say that you'll spawn close to other team mates. It plays like pockets of resistance.

The good thing about this as I said before, is that you'll end up fighting for advantageous positions that would probably not make much sense in Territory mode. It would give the game some variety, as in Territories, you always fight a map in similar ways, because is oriented to take certain objectives.

Picture Germans trying to take control of the Russian sniper building across the river in Danzig. Thats the kind of different situation I'm expecting from this mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pectus
Upvote 0
They say that you'll spawn close to other team mates. It plays like pockets of resistance.

The good thing about this as I said before, is that you'll end up fighting for advantageous positions that would probably not make much sense in Territory mode. It would give the game some variety, as in Territories, you always fight a map in similar ways, because is oriented to take certain objectives.

Picture Germans trying to take control of the Russian sniper building across the river in Danzig. Thats the kind of different situation I'm expecting from this mode.
Yep, this is exactly what you and I were discussing together over Steam.

If anyone has ever played Team Deathmatch in CoD1, you might remember how it played. It was the best team deathmatch mode I have ever played in any game because there weren't fixed spawns. Instead, you always spawned in an area around your teammates, so as a result the game actually played out in a quasi-objective style mode where both teams fought over positions on the map. When a position was overrun, the spawns shifted to another part of the map and the battle started again.

The wonderful thing about the system was that you really felt like you were playing as a team with others and it gave the maps wonderful variety because you were always fighting over different positions and never really played the same exact way twice. Also, CoD1's system rarely resulted in tons of BS spawn kills like what happens in all of the CoD's afterwards. I think Infinity Ward had something magical and didn't even realize it.

I'm thinking this is how it will feel to play Firefight in RO2 with the spawning system, so I'm rather excited.

So now for the suggestions that I think the devs should listen to:

Me and Fedorov were brainstorming that it would be great if TWI would KEEP the weapon restrictions and the squad system in Firefight. You would still spawn near teammates, but they would be your squad mates. Weapons would be restricted per squad, which would still maintain realistic weapon numbers and keep everyone from running around spamming SMGs or snipers. Plus, it would be really fun to be in a squad with your friends in a team death match mode, with a squad leader giving orders and stuff.

So in other words, you keep the great things about RO's other modes while getting the accessible, fast paced action of Team Deathmatch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, you'd only have to worry about that one guy in the field turning into a whole fireteam if that guy is a squad leader.
Which is why I don't think people should spawn on the squad leader but the region of where the majority of squad members are. Squad leaders wouldn't be the main spawn in Firefight, but would still be able to give orders to their squad mates.

Upvote 0
If anyone has ever played Team Deathmatch in CoD1, you might remember how it played. It was the best team deathmatch mode I have ever played in any game because there weren't fixed spawns. Instead, you always spawned in an area around your teammates, so as a result the game actually played out in a quasi-objective style mode where both teams fought over positions on the map. When a position was overrun, the spawns shifted to another part of the map and the battle started again.

The wonderful thing about the system was that you really felt like you were playing as a team with others and it gave the maps wonderful variety because you were always fighting over different positions and never really played the same exact way twice.
This is why I like TDM modes more than objective modes in games that have asymmetrical maps, players don't fight over some abstract objective to gain an abstract advantage, they fight over areas that give them a real advantage over beating the enemy team.

Reactions: Major Liability
Upvote 0