• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO Community State

Im starting to have my doubts about TWI...:(if they announced what they were doing (not asking for any screenshots or trailers etc just a paragraph maybe), i would enjoy RO alot more knowing that there is something better to come from this company rather than thinking that this time next year RO servers will be dead, an announcement will not stop me from playing RO.

Maybe one day TWI are going to have to break into the run and gun crosshair and console games to survive as a company, or to 'sellout' some may say, depending on how well they do on sales, im not sure how much they get from a copy of RO.
Im starting to think they are going to make something alot different from WW2... but if not then its gonna be a ****-hot WW2 game.

Upvote 0
I think your attitude is half the problem I'm afraid :( Games are for everybody, not just people who you think deserve them because they play your way and think like you.

'less Sophisticated gamers' eh?

Sophisticated gamers are not prejudiced :rolleyes:

You're going the wrong direction clanger, but I appreciate, in a sense, your defensive posture. Being prejudiced is making judgements before you know anything about the subject, but in this case, trust me, I know what I'm going on about. If you enjoy the experience you get on a 50, then by all means ..Have fun on the 50's. But ask yourself when the interest in RO piqued and then began to fall off - low and behold it was right around the time when 50's and 24/7's claimed their grip. New content (AHz pack, various mods) doesn't even hold attention because the population can't escape the 50 person Danzig face blasting slop (dont get me wrong, I like Danzig as long as it isnt clogged up with 50 deathmatching people).

If you dont have the historical reference points to refer back to, like a lot of the longtime members here do, then you might have a hard time seeing where we are coming from. Yeah, I totally feel the 50's attract a less sophisticated gamer - there isnt much thinking required for that type of gameplay. It's manic spraying body after body where killing becomes the sole focus. No tactics, no timing, no communication, no focus, no room to breathe. I'm with the vets who are looking for a certain quality of gameplay - If I cant find it, then I dont play.. shouldnt be any sweat for you, you'll play anything right?

(yeah, Krieg plays best with 32 max ..even though it is long in distance, the breadth isnt so wide as to accomodate 50 people imo.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The future of RO is that there are no more updates coming out, except for mods.
So, are we all happy to play again?:p

Pretty much that. What's there to ask about the future of RO? The game is as it is and it won't change. The player base is decreasing, that's just how it goes. Many new fish in the water.

I got a feeling the people asking for game 2 are those who think game 2 is RO2... maybe it isn't? I also think that TWI should not announce ANYTHING until they've really got something to show for. Once you made an announcement there has to be steady progress and then a release. If it's too early and you have to redesign core concepts, drag out development people will lose interest. Show us something when you're ready.

Upvote 0
I like playing with 50 players, but I also agree thay they are the reason of the downfall...

having all the community concentrated always in the same servers really hurts, specially when the admins of those servers don't upload new maps and new stuff, they just use the stock ones and its always the same. with less players for each server, there would be a higher number of pupulated servers and there would be much more choice, also mappers would be more encouraged to create more stuff, I think there were more maps for the Mod than for Ostfront, with a much smaller community

right now the crappy servers holds the monopoly in public play

stock maps only servers
24/7 servers
and super-ultra-huge tank maps server

the question now is, is there annything we can do about it?

Upvote 0
People just want something fresh, I guess. Games like TF2 and CoD4 have given us just that.

So I hope that TW will give us something fresh soon. :)

I also think that TWI should not announce ANYTHING until they've really got something to show for. Once you made an announcement there has to be steady progress and then a release. If it's too early and you have to redesign core concepts, drag out development people will lose interest. Show us something when you're ready.

True, but for a lot of games, there is quite a lot of time between the announcement and the release. Like a year+, usually. Assuming we get an announcement at the end of the year (BIG assumption of course), the game might not be released before winter of 2009. But TW is a small developer so I guess we need to be patient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've just come back to RO for a while. I enjoy the 50 player servers, despite the limited map choice. It is hard to find populated servers with any amazing maps in rotation. Yea, Zhitomir is great, and Stalingrad is fun, but, wheres the 'Riga Docks', 'Kriegstadt', or 'Road to Orel'? I'd love to see them on a populated 50 player server, but, 32 player would do me just the same. I personally can't see how an announcement of game 2 would bring back any players - despite the fact that I'd like to know - but I'm happy to wait. I'm *hoping* DH will revive RO for a bit, but, after seeing how everybody else's hard work (minionworks' AWESOME pack, which I downloaded only to find not one populated server playing, as I was about 2 weeks too late, CC's mod which I've yet to play, and MN's excellent mod which I'm guessing is pretty much empty nowadays) has not kept the servers full, so don't see how DH will be any different :( Its a terrible shame, because DH is awesome, and a lot of hard work has been put into it - but hey, I never know, it could bring an influx of new/old players to the game (which I seriously hope it does) :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Think about it, what real motivation does an announcement of the title of the next game really do.
It actually does have a positive effect on the near future of RO for the following reason:

Many players, especially those in clans, like to pick one game and stick with it for the long haul, sometimes 3-4 years. The community experience is nearly as important as the gaming experience. Getting settled into the community of a game is an investment, and those players won't want to do that for another game if TW is going to come out with their next release anytime soon.

However, things are getting pretty desperate in RO and, without any news, many likable players and forumers are deciding that it's time to jump ship. Like I said above, it takes time to get into a game community, so if there is nothing tangible on the horizon for RO, then might as well start on a new game sooner than later.

We need those old-timers and dedicated players to stay around because RO doesn't get that many new players, and those poor souls that it does get seem irresistibly attracted to those evil sirens, 24/7-Danzig and 24/7-Arad.

Upvote 0
Simply knowing if something that comes next will be of a game that will work for me will help me stay. And other guys. We're stretching really thin already and a bit of information can help people staying with a game longer, and in quite some cases an entire clan staying with a game longer. Once you **** to whatever next game you usually stay with it till it dies out.

Upvote 0
Well, I suppose I can chime in with my thoughts here. I suppose everyone has their reasons for staying, or leaving, or just not being around as much. I myself fall into that third category, as I am sure others do as well.

To put it simply, this is just a bad time of the year for me to play RO (or any computer game) much lately. A combination of factors has really cut into my gaming time. First and foremost is my son, I have had more custody of him (obviously I am divorced) since his mother's shift change at work allows me to see him much more; about five days a week. That is a great thing of course, I see him more but it cuts into gaming time. You see, along with that bonus time with him is all the driving around associated with bouncing him back and forth between houses. Then you add on the high school sports and matches, his other school activities, his Boy Scouts, the karate classes we attend, by the time we get home at night and make dinner, it is already getting late and I am usually either too burned out to play or I hang around with him. Add to that the games on the weekends, the good spring weather where the yard work beckons and just all the other misc things that pop up, and I am finding I have very little gaming time at all. I can't wait for his summer vacation just to calm things down a bit!!!

I am sure other players are busy with real life as well and have their own sorta story like mine. How those who work on the Mods can do what they do is just amazing.

But as far as RO is concerned....it is still my favorite and I wish I got a chance to play a couple of hours a night and on weekends. It is an older game and I can see some players moving on. That is just inevitable. As far as the other things, I can echo my thoughts as to what I see.

- Server browser: I have to spend the first 5 minutes or so of the game individually clicking servers to get an accurate player count or the correct map name that is actually running.
- A vast majority of players in (50 player) servers that are running maps that I have either gotten tired of playing or don't much care for. For the most part, the same 'stock' maps. Are those players there just for those maps, or just the number of players to shoot?
- Arad and the 5 bagillion versions of the same map. One or two version are enough, really. REALLY.
- 24/7 of any map, usually Danzig. I used to be like that with COD (Foy) until I tried a custom map server and then I wondered what the hell I was doing playing Foy all the time...same principle; get those players to try something different and they might like it!
- Lets face it, just about any map is running somewhere on some server, only the server is not occupied. Unfortunately for the reasons initially mentioned above, I don't want to spend all my gaming time trying to (unsuccessfully) seed a server.
- The lack of some good maps, or even just a variety of them running on servers that tend to be occupied. Tractorworks, Kriegstadt, Praizerplatz, or several other great maps are just too hard to find... not to mention that these would be best on the 50 player servers.
- That map voting bug (or whatever it is) that somehow allows individuals to place large numbers of votes for one map...

- I should say that ping doesn't affect my choices much unless it is well over 200. Luckily, I have gotten to be a decent shot with a rifle if I remember to lead my target by taking into account my ping....
------------------

When I look back on the list I wrote, for me it seems the one thing that stands out the most is map VARIETY. I am sure this is the same for lots of others like me out there. When I am not too busy to play, usually my gaming choices at night come down to:

A) The only occupied servers (8 or more players for me...) are running the same old maps again...and again...and again...ugh
B) Wow, there is at least one good map running that I haven't played lately.

A choice of "B" means I play at least a few rounds of RO and have a good time. A choice of "A" means I usually turn off my computer and watch reruns of "Family Guy". More often than I would like, the choice is "A".

Please, give us more map VARIETY on those always occupied servers!!!!

Upvote 0
Yup.. Totally agreed.
RO's decline has been since mid-last year.

The server maps rotation has to be changed honestly. I logged in RO for the first time last night and saw:
DANZIG
DANZIG
DANZIG
ARAD
ARAD
DANZIG REMIX

We have A LOT of great maps out there but they don't even see the day of light due to the Server Admins who think it's best to have 2-3 map rotation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think this is a good discussion. I agree with a lot of the points expressed in this thread. The truly sad thing is I doubt any of the admins for these servers will read this or care.

I really have trouble playing anymore, as it's play small map with 50+ people, play one of the 24/7 servers or play with bots in the hopes that some people start to join the server. It really tends to aggravate me because this is the only game I really wish to play. I played alot the first year then had PC troubles fixed them and got back and now over the past 3-4 months this has been my biggest issue. I hope DH will bring a change and a bit of a refresh to this whole problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think TWI announcing there new game would have any positive effect. I think alot of people assume it is gonna be RO2 and if it's not? then what. Chances are you move to a more populated game. I hope it is RO2 but I think I would still purchase it since RO/TWI is one of the few games/Dev teams that offered unparalleled support from the day of release. I have also seen some posts complaining that they don't anymore, well that comes down to, Do you want to see a new game? or get continued support for this game? cause I doubt they can accomplish both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't think anyone should expect anything more from the devs as far as Ostfront goes.. but there's no reason the game should fizzle out like this at this point. It's still a kickass game, with kickass maps (when played at 32 max ;)) and a kickass player base; however a stalemate exists with admins not even Operation Supercharge can break through (heheh lookitup). I would think it could go strong until the next release, but not without places to play nor people to seed.

Upvote 0
History has shown that if TWI were to announce their next project the forums would be full of "release it now" , "when.." etc. etc.

Silence is golden.

One of the things that drew me to RO initially was it being about the only game out there with any semblance of realism and combined arms , all the other FPS being basically DoD/CS clones.

Unfortunately the majority of gamers like these types of games (look at the popularity of CoD4 for example. Pure run n gun ..no tactics,strategy or teamwork necessary) so this is where the market drives the developers.

Now there are quit a few options for those who prefer the slower more tactical game play that RO offered.

Top that of with the upcoming releases of Armed Assault 2 , Operation Flash Point 2 and the BF2 mod Project Reality and TWI has it's hands full trying to come up with a game that can compete at all levels.

Is going to be interesting to see what they come up with.

Upvote 0
- Server browser: I have to spend the first 5 minutes or so of the game individually clicking servers to get an accurate player count or the correct map name that is actually running.

QFT. If TWI only comes out with a single patch for RO -- *this* should be top priority. Its very annoying, for instance it causes the 'noempty' filter to fail completely. And, I refuse to use the Steam server browser, it is broken.

Upvote 0
Thought I'd join the fun..

Going back to Steven's original post (which I completely agree with) you could use my clan as a classic example. Ez25 was alive and kicking throughout the mod and continue to do so after the switch over to Ostfront (we lost a few players who didn't like Ostfront but gained some too, so meh). However, a small drip of players began leaving due to belief that RO isn't what it was and/or grew tired of it. This drip just carried on and on, and now we can barely stand, I mean, just a year and a half ago Borat had to rotate people in clan matches so everyone could play!

Until last christmas RO was the only game I played (oh alright, i played OFP and RTW too :p) but one day I just thought "It's time to move on" and now I play a variety of Source games, RTS's and other FPSes- I suppose it was because I needed something fresh after the last 4-5 years (wow, it's really been that long.:eek:)

Anyway, I'll stop drowning you lot in nostalgia and conclude with this: RO's community, while still being largely mature and responsible, is held back by a minority of idiots who own servers and employ 24/7 maps on 50 men servers (or whatever, you know what I'm getting at). I think most people participating in this thread will buy "Game 2" regardless of when it's announced but Steven does have a point in stating that an announcement could keep potential future gamers still interested in RO.

Jono.

Upvote 0
I am a casual pub player. Not hardcore but always willing to drop in for a hour of good play. Really seems like the only time to play these days in the middle of the day (EST) when the European servers are running. Other than that it is a wasteland.

Pity, a great game. So much better than COD or any of the games like it. But it really never caught on-even in its heyday the player base was never large compared to mass market console shooters.

Shows you what mass marketing and dumbing down will do. Simply put, most players out there were never ready for this game. Still, one of the best.

Upvote 0
Completely agree with Steven and Rez here, the reason why I don't play anymore are the 24/7 Arad/Danzig (Aradanzing :eek:) servers and of course, the 50 player servers; while they can still be fun, I preferred the 32 player limit since you could actually cooperate and make a difference. I've seen way too many 50 player games turn into a stalemate with reinforcements being the only deciding factor...

So, see you in the next game.

Upvote 0