• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MGs a bit underperforming?

One thing I shall add is that a lot of people seem to be referring back to RO1 as a time when MG's were massively powerful. This must be some kind of fantasy RO I never played. Cos in RO1 it was hilariously easy to pick off MG's as a rifleman. It was only in DH that I found MG's start to dominate a bit, and that was only due to the huge suppression effect in DH. And even then they certainly weren't gods of the battlefield!

In RO1, an MG was always at a risk from popup riflemen. It's still pretty much the same now. Sure some things have changed (zoom, bullet penetration), but overall it's very much the same.

Upvote 0
One thing I shall add is that a lot of people seem to be referring back to RO1 as a time when MG's were massively powerful. This must be some kind of fantasy RO I never played. Cos in RO1 it was hilariously easy to pick off MG's as a rifleman. It was only in DH that I found MG's start to dominate a bit, and that was only due to the huge suppression effect in DH. And even then they certainly weren't gods of the battlefield!

In RO1, an MG was always at a risk from popup riflemen. It's still pretty much the same now. Sure some things have changed (zoom, bullet penetration), but overall it's very much the same.

Less Recoil + different (older) damage model = more kills

At least for me.

Upvote 0
Mg-34 with tracer bullets - YouTube

here it is a video that let see how the mg is really more stable of the ingame one. Having that kind (the game one) of machinegun would have been crazy in the war, it was the main fire of a team, with the purpose of beeing able to control a zone hundreds of meters away.

Control a zone is meaning placing enough bullets to let the enemy get pinned or avoid to move in that area: if i place less bullets with an mg than seven rifleman shooting in the same time i would give a rifle also to the mg soldiers and the two that were bringing the ammo. That WAS NOT in the reality: the rifleman actually were not the one firing alot, were the ones moving alot for flanking the enemy and shoot at short (less than 500 meters) distancies.
The recoil of the mg is not storical for me. Then everything could be personal, but give me a reason to think that the german army was using that kind of weapon to make the main fire...

Upvote 0
MG's should have a tracerless option, they are a dead give away. Also as has been stated the recoil effects (climbing should be much less pronounced) perhaps as you move up the levels and get more "experienced" with the gun the recoil may drop, but as it stands it climbs far too much.

Tracers are a giveaway? You are using a MACHINE GUN, Are the loud rapid bangs not good enough giveaway?

Upvote 0
Realistic MGs were strongpoints that were supposed to block the enemy in obvious spots. The MGs at the beaches of normandy were mostls in bunkers or fox holes that allowed a view of the area and they were very easy to spot and sitting in obvious places.

Do you know the difference between defence and offence? Do you know the difference between a heavy support MG and a squad automatic weapon/light machine gun? It seems not.

You are talking about only ONE small aspect of machine gun employment, and it is not even the aspect that we as players ever actually use, except one specific way - the fixed MG's mounted on tripods. THOSE are heavy machine guns being used for supporting fire.

What you are running around with is a light machine gun used to provide more firepower for an infantry unit. It's not used the way you seem to think. If you try to set up somewhere and dominate an area, unless you are so damn good that you never miss, even when widely separated enemies are all shooting at you, then you will die, rapidly and often. Even if you are good enough to shoot every person you can see before they can shoot you, sooner or later arty or a nade will end your run.

In this game, and every FPS actually, you are NOT a heavy support MG. You are a squad automatic weapon that is meant to move with and closely cover the rest of your unit. If you set up somewhere for more than a minute or two, then you are no longer covering your unit because they have moved on or are dead. That means you did NOT do you job, no matter how many enemy you killed.

The same goes for defensive stances. Being stationary is a death sentence. You must keep moving. Never firing from one place for more than a few bursts because if you have set yourself up somewhere where you can shoot people, then you can be shot, and there is always someone you didn't see. The key is to never let the enemy know where you are, unless they are about to die. Once they know where you are (because you fired, or someone spotted you) displace or die. It's that simple.

MGs should not have to hide from a few riflemen.

Yes, they should. Do you know why every man in an infantry platoon is taught to use and be proficient with the MG? Because gunners die. They are the prime target on the battlefield, even more so than officers, because they are killing machines.

Here is why in the real world MG's need to hide just like they do in this game: The proper way for riflemen to deal with an MG is to disperse widely. Then, when the gun starts firing at someone, everyone else pops up and takes a shot. When the gun moves to another person, they stop shooting and every one else takes a shot. and so on. The MG is always shooting at someone who is hiding (and suppressed), while everyone else is shooting at the MG. Sooner or later the MG loses.

That is why you don't stay in one place for too long. Once the riflemen have you pinpointed, they can use this method to kill you quickly and easily. By moving around after every few bursts, maybe 5 or so metres at a time, you make it harder for those popup riflemen to kill you because they always have to keep finding your new position, and they do it by having one or more of them die.

And RO1 had it working well. MGs dominated open spaces even though they were not well hidden because standing riflemen could not simply shoot them unsupported after stopping fo a second.

If there are standing riflemen able to shoot you, and you die, it's NOT because they were able to stop and get a shot... it's because you didn't kill them. Why not? It's EASY to kill a standing man in the open with an MG. How bad are you with the gun? No wonder you die so much.

That is why the game "suppression" effect is dumb and should be removed. It teaches bad machine gun habits. You NEVER shoot to miss. Nothing is more "suppressed" than "dead". If you are not able to easily kill anything that is capable of aiming at you and taking a shot, then you are in the wrong place. You need to find cover that provides a narrower field of view but more protection from enemy who aren't directly in front of your gun. Get behind a hole some distance, and move side to side to aim, rather than hiding at the hole where everyone from one side of the battlefield to the other can see you. That is how you stay alive.

As for the zoom.
I can judge distance really well in RO2. And zoom is not a good solution.

You can? Without the shift-zoom? Then you must suck at judging distance in real life because the in-game view is wrong. Real human eyes have a higher level of zoom than that. In fact, it's about the same level as the shift-zoom feature.. Which isn't a surprise seeing as that is exactly why it is there. Most people miss because they think people are further away than they are, and if they are adjusting for the fall of shot, will shoot too high.

See why shift-zoom is important on a realistic game with realistic ballistics? Without realistic vision, everything gets screwed up.

Depth of field blur would be a good one. Becuase all that happens if you focus your eyes on something in the distance is that your eyes adjust the contrast on a far spot.

See, you are criticising something you don't even understand. You think the "realistic eyes" are being zoomed in to become "unrealistic eyes". The FACT is that is totally the OPPOSITE of what is happening. When you are running around at the normal game zoom, you have UNREALISTIC level of zoom. only by shift-zooming do you get a REALISTIC zoom level.

It has nothing at all to do with focus or the eyes zooming when you aim or any of that crap. Nothing at all. The normal FOV is too wide to give the proper zoom level, so when you hold shift they narrow the field of view to give you the realistic zoom level. It's that simple.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. You can't seem to separate "reality" from "how other games do it". You don't even know what the features you are criticising are for or why they are there. You clearly don't know correct small unit tactics, and have no idea at all about what a machine gun is and what it is for.

Maybe you should go and do some reading before you try to argue with people about stuff you clearly do not understand.

And about the whole blitzkrieg argument. It fails.

As if you could tell.

The term described mobile tank warfare and was a strategic doctrine.

Yes, it was. It was an example of manoeuvre warfare, which is a way of fighting a war by using rapid movement to confuse the enemy and keep him unbalanced and unprepared for what is happening.

You do realise that the definition has nothing to do with the size of the unit or units involved nor the weapons they are carrying, right? When the SAS stormed the Iranian Embassy, they used the exact same strategy. By attacking from multiple points simultaneously, and rapidly moving through the building without stopping, they made sure the terrorists were so confused as to what was happening, they didn't even have a chance to kill the hostages.

The concept is exactly the same as using rapid tank thrusts to burst through enemy lines and rapidly fan out in his rear, disrupting his movements and causing massive confusion. What you are doing is the same, how you are doing it is different.

It's pretty straight forward. Armchair generals usually think strategy is the "big plan" and tactics are the "small plan". They are wrong. Strategy is the plan, tactics are the method.

Even a single soldier has a strategy to follow. He might be part of a unit that is doing nothing more than acting as a distraction, but his tactics would be the same as if he was in the final assault. Strategy and tactics are two different things, not the same thing on different scales.

10kg machine guns with supporing guys and ammo to carry, did not run from cover to cover.

Really? Do you know why they invented the bipod? The tripod is a much better system for providing long range sustained fire, so why use a bipod? Because they are light enough to run from cover to cover with when assaulting a position, and requiring minimal setup, while still providing a stable firing platform. Who would have thunk it?

They were usually well dug and fired from those positions.

See? No idea at all. You still can't tell the difference between a machine gun mounted on a heavy tripod with telescopic sights in fortified emplacments, and a machine gun with a bipod and iron sights carried by a soldier into battle.

They are two TOTALLY different roles. In game language, they are as different a class from the MG we play with as the sniper rifle is different from the normal rifle. Maybe that will help you to understand, seeing as your knowledge appears to come solely from gaming,

And in case you did not notice yet, you basically descrive how MG players in RO2 have to adapt into playing like a sniper to actually survive combat, and that is not what an MG is about.

Bahahah even YOU can see what you are describing is a different class of MG.

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
The whole MG argument seems to boil down to "someone shoots me from a direction I'm not expecting. MGs aren't good enough."

Yep, Real artists don't blame the brush.

It's funny, RO vets like to talk down to the casual shooters all the time,

That's because they THOUGHT they were playing a realistic game when they were playing RO1. TWI figured out they weren't and, seeing as how the fans all claimed to prefer realism, TWI made RO2 the most realistic FPS this side of ARMA2 (and it's only bested by ARMA2 because that is a complete simulation of warfare, rather than a single battle simulator).

The thing is, for many people if reaction times or strategy are important to win the game, they can't do it. They really have no idea about the strategic aspect of fighting battles like this, nor the proper way to deal with real world problems that show up in the game. They remember movies or games they have played, and think they understand how weapons are meant to be used, but they don't. All they REALLY have is the ability to be patient and wait for the perfect shot, or sneak into the perfect position... as long as these perfect positions have been pre-planned and laid out for them in advance. They have no idea how to put themselves into a "perfect position".

"There is a wall there? Then I will go hide behind it and shoot over the top of it. No one will see my head and shoulders like a beacon being illuminated by the muzzle flash. Oh no! I am in "the perfect position" (TM) so no one should be able to shoot me! I have an MG!!!111ONE. Even if I am busy firing at someone else, everyone on the battlefield, no matter where they are, will all hide from my menacing bark!"

LOL. Seriously, a lot of the RO old hands are just as moronic as the CoD fanboys, as far as I can tell. They just have different skill sets.

like they're used to sitting on a hill and shooting people with impunity for 20 minutes because the guys they're killing never have a prayer of hitting them at that range.

It's that bull**** "suppression" effect. It teaches bad habits and instills a false sense of confidence. RO1 gunners expect to be able to dominate a battlefield without killing a single person.

In the real world, if there is a machine gun spraying randomly all over the place, you would be happy. It would mean the gunner is a moron and suicidal. He will be easy to flank, or even to just pop up and shoot while he is busy spraying the trees. Real world suppression is about killing people, not scaring them.

Upvote 0
They remember movies or games they have played, and think they understand how weapons are meant to be used, but they don't. All they REALLY have is the ability to be patient and wait for the perfect shot, or sneak into the perfect position... as long as these perfect positions have been pre-planned and laid out for them in advance. They have no idea how to put themselves into a "perfect position".
There is only one truly portable FPS strategy that I've ever found, and that's flanking through cover. Nearly every single game embodies the premise, and nearly everyone who practices it performs better than those who don't. I don't see a lot of of flanking in RO2 by default. I see a lot of bunkering down, particularly by MGs. The *perfect position* if you will. Displacement, mother ****ers, do you speak it?!

"There is a wall there? Then I will go hide behind it and shoot over the top of it, haha!. No one will see my head and shoulders like a beacon being illuminated by the muzzle flash, haha!. Oh no! I am in "the perfect position" (TM) so no one should be able to shoot me, haha!! I have an MG!!!111ONE, haha!. Even if I am busy firing at someone else, everyone on the battlefield, no matter where they are, will all hide from my menacing bark, haha!!"
Now with 100% more Speed Racer.

It's just stupid to me. I played RO1 and died like a ***** all day, every day until I eventually put the game down. It's like RO1 vets are getting their just desserts after camping the same game for 5 years or w/e, and they don't like it. Give any of these guys two years on the same maps and they'd probably figure out where to sit for maximum ownage and minimum effort. But currently they're just learning sight lines like everyone else, and it pisses them off.

Upvote 0
I decided to spent today solely on MGs to find more insight on this issue, here are some thoughts:

Cool. Always better to talk from experience. The question is do you know how the MG SHOULD be used? If not then you can't really judge it.

]We really need points for suppressing

Seems not. Suppression in the real world is not about scaring people. Near misses do NOTHING to you in the real world. Especially if the MG keeps missing. If no one dies, people stop being afraid and start to get annoyed. Instead of trying to survive (because they aren't really dying) they start trying to get revenge.

So you get your points for suppression when you actually suppress them... that is, when you kill them. Shooting to miss is a losing tactic.

I did this for maybe a good 10 mins after which we managed to storm the building

Then the other team sucked. If I was on the other team and an MG was firing from one place for more than a few bursts, I would go hunting for him. He would be an easy kill. Still you must have set yourself up reasonably well, so you deserve credit for that - most guys who complain don't even do that.

They sit in the most obvious place, clearly visible from a wide swathe of the battlefield, and then complain when they get shot.

I didn't get a single kill (which was weird, as if I couldnt penetrate the outer walls after 200m+?)

Think about it for a second. You are talking about multi-story factory buildings built in the early part of the 20th century. These will be massive steal and brick/concrete constructions almost like bunkers. We are not talking about a modern steel frame glass building with flimsy "walls" here.

I'm sure I was worth a lot in the early stages of the fight by keeping the windows clear, but I was awarded in no way.

Wasn't knowing you helped your team reward enough? Wasn't the satisfaction of a good job reward enough? There aren't scoreboards on the battlefield, so why bother with them? Who are you trying to beat? Your own team?

Still, if you had actually hit something, instead of just randomly spraying rounds in their general direction, you would have got points. Next time stick to short aimed bursts and you will rack up kills like you won't believe.

I am usually in the top 5 of my team in terms of points and kills when I use the MG. It's actually pretty easy, if you know what you're doing. Get the gun into a cap zone and kill anything you can see from it. You get kill points AND team points like mad. Just don't be dumb about it. Once you fire they know where you are, and knowledge is power. Move, and you take away that power.

I don't know whether it's realistic or not, but the fact I can shoot a few good sized bursts at the guy

There is your problem. Only a machine gun mounted on a heavy tripod can fire "good sized bursts". You need to stick to three round bursts. The reason is simple: The MG fires so fast, that the third round is leaving the barrel just as the barrel begins to rise from the recoil. If you let go at that moment, it rapidly settles again because you are not adding in more energy to the climb. So a brief pause will allow the barrel to drop down again.

Imagine a man running straight at you 50m away. Aim at his knees and squeeze off three rounds. The first will hit his knees, the second will hit his abdomen/hips and the third will go high unless you compensate by pulling down a bit as you fire.

This means one burst will get two hits, and that is all you need to totally and permanently suppress him. If you actually aim each shot, rather than aiming the first shot and hoping the next few will hit somewhere nearby, you will kill quickly and cleanly and still be stable and ready for the next target you see.

If the first burst doesn't get him, let the barrel drop down to his knees again, and give him a second squirt. That should be enough. If not, then you need more practice with aiming.

As far as I know, MGs were mainly used with loooong bursts of fire

Which is wrong. Think about it. You are carrying a gun that is capable of firing in excess of 600 bullets a minute. Even if you and every man in your squad carried 4 belts of ammo, and you used them all, you'd have maybe three minutes of sustained fire to last until the next time you get resupplied, and that rarely happens in the middle of a battle.

Even purely in terms of ammo consumption, you can NOT simply spray every bullet you have at nothing at all. You have to make every round count. Every round has evil intentions. You are a killing machine, not a cheap scare on an amusement park ride. You need to think "one round, one kill" just like the snipers, except you are hoping to get far more kills.

Of course that is not going to happen, but that is what you are TRYING to do, ALWAYS. You never think "close enough should be good enough". If they are not dead they are not suppressed regardless of game mechanics, it's that simple.

All this said, MG34's semi-auto is frigging awesome, but it feels like something else than machinegunning at this point.

And yet the real gun had the same feature. Consider that. Maybe your understanding of how to use an MG is wrong?

This is indeed a funny one. Instead of being able to set up a strongpoint, in RO2 you pretty much have to set it up at an ambush point to avoid dying very fast.

Same for the real world. If you were a Taliban, and you set up an MG and started shooting at an American base, how long would you expect to live? It's counted in seconds, I can tell you that much.

WWII wasn't much different. Both sides had artillery and airpower, armour and naval gunfire support. Static warfare ended in WWI. Sitting across a field from an enemy and taking pot shots at him ended the second the squad radio was issued and allowed the front line infantry commander to call in artillery.

Why do you think they limit arty in game? Because no one would last long if they could fire as much arty as the real world does.

Changing places is pretty much mandatory every few respawn waves. The rifleman you just killed twice in a row almost straight outta spawn is gonna dedicate this life just to take you down. If he knows exactly which window you are on, you are pretty much as good as dead.

As I said above, you at least know enough to be able to survive for awhile. That's pretty rare it seems. I would not be hanging around that long though. If the other team is using teamwork too, it's not the guy you just killed you have to worry about... it's his mates.

But yea, it seems to depend alot on your team as well as the opposing team whether or not you can be succesful with the MG.

No, that's how YOU can be successful with the MG. If you really know what you are doing you can solo with it. I do it all the time. Top 5 usually. The key is that what you are doing is what everyone should be doing AT LEAST. But the good gunners should be better than that.

(MGers already lose out on my cap-based team points and end up lower on scores)

Why does everyone assume that how they do with the gun is how everyone does with the gun? I own up with it. You don't. We're not playing with different guns, so how come I do so much better than you? Clearly it has something to do with what you are doing, rather than the class itself.

Upvote 0
KarmakaneNZ brings the pain again. They should pay him to lecture on this subject at colleges. :D

I wonder how many people still even think the MG34 has a lot of recoil?

They remember movies or games they have played, and think they understand how weapons are meant to be used, but they don't. All they REALLY have is the ability to be patient and wait for the perfect shot, or sneak into the perfect position... as long as these perfect positions have been pre-planned and laid out for them in advance.

Yup. They've watched the movies and played the games and really think they're experts because they watch Saving Private Ryan, and Black Hawk Down 7 days a week! I bet they even read all those cute little paperbacks they saw in Barnes and Nobles about "zomg Wehrmacht this" and "Mahreeen corp" that.

All of this really just extends from the attitude people have that learning is little more than the effort or quantity of reading/watching you do. All the research in the world is totally useless unless you *understand* the mechanics or concepts of what you're trying to study. That's why schools test you on what you've learned.

Upvote 0
For the irony in RedOctober map I've found a place with sandbags perfect for a MG BUT I could not place it there...

I found one place on station that was a perfect camping spot for an MG. I was there so long and got so many kills I got nervous and left because I assumed the whole enemy team was gunning for me by then.

All I did was lie on a pile of pipes beside an overturned train. Because it looked like somewhere that was too exposed, people must have assumed I couldn't be there. Maybe the lighting and shadows were just right, maybe the colours around me made me blend in, I'm not too sure.

The point is, the perfect place is rarely where you would expect. In fact it never is. That's what makes it perfect. If you're running around and thinking "that looks like the perfect place for an MG", then the enemy is too.

You're far better off looking for the place no one would try to set up an MG. That will be perfect.

Upvote 0