• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fire & Maneuver Realism Mod

@Raptor341

I would definitely welcome someone who can help me program this. In terms of weapons, that is map-based, so I won't touch that. I explain some of that in my OP. I'll add my Ventrilo up at the top so people can get on and stop by, feel free to join and we can discuss the mod.

@CraigslistHooker

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. You get your morale back by regrouping with your squad, if there are only a few of you left, then naturally you should be scared and you won't fight back well. However, I could make an exception where I can make a cornered animal type of behavior. If you're the last one alive, maybe I can program it so that you don't suffer from such bad suppression, that should make for some pretty epic last man stands.

@Spindle and Nezzer

I think I understand the point you're trying to make. If you want to argue against the medic class, go ahead and do so. Just keep in mind that while I can probably add a medic class without much trouble, the mappers and server owners will decide ultimately whether to have the class available or not, since it's a map specific setting. So me adding it wouldn't necessarily force it down people's throats. But please, present your arguments against a medic class, I'm interested in hearing what you have to say.

@Filo90

It's already a feature.

Upvote 0
I like all the proposed stuff

except

dont reduce the base jog speed, that would be going too far in my opinion

also, dont nerf bayonets too much, its the pistol whip that is the most op

Ill keep both things in mind. But jogging speed is definitely a deterrent to run and gun, so I need to test this out and see how much it impacts gameplay.

Upvote 0
My thought on Suppression it should be like this.

1) Suppression is really a simulated fear of the person, so the effects should be simulate how a person is feeling under a set of circumstances.

2) Suppression should be only on incoming fire not on friendly fire

3) Suppression should be scaled and a slower recover scale. What I mean by this is if there is an mg firing your direction but the rounds are landing 10 metres away. They it should increase your sway and recoil a little. If you were standing looking over a wall, and the rounds whizzed by your head by a cm or two, then you should get the blur then for a short amount of time. But then slowly reduce back to just sway and recoil. So the blur and that is only at 100% suppressed but between 0 and 80% you just have sway issues.

4) Suppression should also happen from other weapons include rifles, if they miss you so you can hear the crack, then you should be suppressed momentarily.

5)Suppression should also be doubled if you are already wounded, in other words you do not want to get hit again.

6) Suppression while sprinting should not happen until you sprint is out (this is because your adrenaline has kick in and you are running to a better spot so your fear had not kicked in until your puffed.

7) Suppression should be linked to fatigue, if you are under suppression your fatigue should be higher to similar the effect of fear and stress. the body does not like running under those conditions.

8) If not in line of sight (so effectively in cover) suppression should not be as high as LOS suppression

Upvote 0
@ KAIZER SOSA, LugNut, MrGoat, Tairos

Thanks guys

@ViViD

I updated the OP to better explain this.

The mod will take advantage of all the features RO2 currently has that may be toned down to the point where some are not as noticeable. They are there however. These engine features can effectively be translated into different effects that occur during fear;

Flinching (The engine simulates this with aim-snapping)
Shakiness (this can be simulated with increased recoil and sway and increased heart rate)
Tunnel Vision (This can be achieved with FOV/Zooming reduced and increasing Depth of Field causing the sides to blur out)
Desperation (This is a tougher one but can be reproduced with double vision and color desaturation, which the engine offers us)

Now, that is the order in which you're going to get suppressed, so you will start with flinching first, then as you progress, you will become more shaky, and eventually tunnel vision will come very soon after, and desperation is tricky here.

I would prefer to reserve desperation more for people who lone-wolf. This only happen if you are heavily suppressed and by yourself. Hopefully I can mod it so that you will never get into this range if you stick with your squad. All of the previous things mentioned will still be present when having high morale, but will also increase when lone-wolfing (low morale).

As to your ideas;

1.) Described above

2.) I will definitely try and implement this but I think it's already there.

3.) Described above

4.) They already do, the problem is that 1 soldier shooting a bolt-action at you won't suppress you, but if 4-5 bolt-action rifles shot at you, you would be suppressed in the current stock RO2.

5.) Good suggestion, I will add it

6.) This I can't guarantee, but provided you're close to your squad, it shouldn't be a problem.

7.) Fatigue will have a larger impact in general, this is one of those things, although not explicitly mentioned.

8.) Can't guarantee you that one, can't even say it's possible. I don't know if the engine can check for such a thing. However, this could definitely be one of those challenges I can take up once a lot of the features have been implemented and I have experience with the RO2 SDK.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Almost everything about proposed features seems very good, except the following point:

- Zooming will be decreased, but some zooming will be present to simulate focusing

Zooming is needed to extend the combat at realistic ranges. Rifles are effective up to about 500m, HMGs even more. In real life you can easily see a man at 500-600m.

But in game, at this distance, a man, in unzoomed view, will probably be less than one pixel. That's why we need the zoomed view: to simulate the human eye's detail (although at the loss of field of view).

This will be more important if bigger maps will be delivered.

The whole medic/bandaging thing seems to be redundant: if the wound is more than a simple scratch, the soldier will be anyway out of combat for at least some hours, with or without medical help.

EDIT: I would also add better simulated recoil for bipod-mounted LMGs, the barrel should not move upwards as much as it is now. Now recoil seems to be the same for rifles LMGs.

Maraz

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zooming is needed to extend the combat at realistic ranges. Rifles are effective up to about 500m, HMGs even more. In real life you can easily see a man at 500-600m.

You can see out to that distance and your weapon can kill out to that range but studies on combat effectiveness have consistently shown that your average rifleman was not effective at all at hitting targets at that range in combat. Getting tagged consistently by a rifleman at ranges past 300m shouldn't really be happening much and making it a hard shot in the game will help reflect this.

Upvote 0
This MOD is like a dream: it's all I wanted in RO2 except the medic class and the "zoom nerf".

I'm a software developer (C#, java and php) but I've never worked with game's SDK (that's still incomplete, is not it?).

I would like to help you when the final SDK is released since I want not to lose time with SDK's bugs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@FoulOleRon

Yes, this is an important statement about combat effectiveness. Weapon sway will be made so that even at 300 m, shots will be damn hard. As it is in RO2 right now, 200m shots are not that complicated at all. Hell, I got a 180m kill with my MP40, ain't that a *****.

@6S.Maraz

Grazie mille per le recomendazione per

Upvote 0