• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SS overnerfed?

It's not that he can't do it. I've been in plenty of survival situations using an SS where I and a berserker were the last ones alive. It's just that, in all of those situations, I've brought nothing to the table as an SS over a different perk.

A zerker, for instance, can scout better since he has katana. He can kite better since he has the speed and killing power to stay ahead of the hoard, and has a crossbow to kill following husks/sirens. Incidentally, he also has better survivability.

A support can scout ahead quite nicely, since his AA can handle adds very handily. He can also linger in the middle of the group, doling out huge burst damage should something go wrong. Always nice to have an oh-**** card keeping an eye on the caravan.

A commando can kite very well (though husks and sirens are a problem), since he can mow down followers before they can catch up to him. See, he has the same speed as a sharp, but since he has ammo, Rate of Fire, and doesn't completely depend on headshots to kill things, he can stem the tide before the zeds overwhelm him and the group.

A sharp shooter can do none of these things. Once he gets damaged and loses the little speed he has, he doesn't have the killing power to kite before enemies reach him, or the mowing power to scout ahead for adds. This is all due to head shot dependence, which is completely unreliable in running situations. Sad but true.

So yeah, please don't play the "Just because you suck doesn't mean the perk is broken" card. If you have first hand experience that you believe warrants a differing opinion, I'd love to hear of it. Until that time comes, SS will remain, in my experienced eyes, an unworthy perk in running situations.

TL;DR - Head shots are really hard to hit reliably when kiting/scouting ahead. SS relies completely on head shots to kill anything (even crawlers). SS is therefor bad at run&gun compared to other perks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SS will remain, in my experienced eyes, an unworthy perk in running situations.

TL;DR - Head shots are really hard to hit reliably when kiting/scouting ahead. SS relies completely on head shots to kill anything (even crawlers). SS is therefor bad at run&gun compared to other perks.

Then do not run&gun.
How's that?

I do not even know what teams you keep playing with that you're always moving anyway.
Whenever I play a HoE game, the team usually tries to hold a position.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Husks aren't that bad, just aim for the "neck" (maybe a tad above)

Stunned Scrakes on the other hand, yeesh. They seem to have no head lol.

Yep husks at the neck.

Stunned scrakes, always on the neck, or right above their shoulder area. Regardless if its stunned just standing or its stunned having its head hanging, the key area is the neck. Otherwise, assuming you're alone and you got a handcannnon, shoot it a couple times, like 3-4 times (careful not to rage it), stun it with the xbow, and decap it with the handcannon.

Upvote 0
Only read the last page.
SS is fine, really. The handcannon still has a massive recoil reduction, and I use it for running headshots often at close/medium range. The thing is you shouldn't BE running as other people have said.

And if we're going to talk about inhuman skill in KF, if you stood in one spot and managed to land a headshot every second or so, you wouldn't have to run in the first place. Clearly that's not gonna happen though.

Upvote 0
You can run and gun with an SS. HC + LAR. There is nothing wrong with running and gunning. On some maps like biotics lab there isn't really anywhere to go, but on other maps like bedlam if you keep a decent pace you can constantly move and you will never get surrounded as long as you avoid certain rooms that are death traps. If your position is ever overrun and most of your team dies you have to run anyway.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm a fairly new player to KF and, as I always do, I chose the Sharpshooter class. Personally, I prefer to use my aiming skill to help out my team mates. I don't think the sharpshooter is too powerful or too nerfed, to me it is where it should be.

For example, in one of the last games I played on hard/suicidal (can't remember :eek:) my teammates where relying on me to take out the larger specimens. A support and berzerker covered one entrance, whilst a firebug and support covered the other. in the middle was a medic and myself; the medic is great to have around in case of pesky crawlers and stalkers. :)

My team mates would warn me when there was a scrake or husk and I would take them down. Fp's were usually more of a combined effort; xbow a couple times then they could take care of it with minimal damage. Sure, I would get next to no kills compared to the rest of the team, but I was definitely helping.

The Sharpshooter class is what it is; for the guy who likes to help out his team mates without getting all the glory. For me, it works great. Now, if only Killing Floor would actually start up again so I can kill some more... :(

Upvote 0
The only "Overnerf" with Sharpshooter is, IMO, the M14. I've heard that it can still be amazing...but I've NEVER seen it do good compared to the Crossbow since the patch. NEVER.

The ironsights are god awful, the laser sight is useless until specimens are closer than you'd like them to be, the recoil makes rapid fire unfeasable, and if you don't nail a headshot (Difficult with the iron sights), you're probably NOT going to kill your target.

Right now, it's just a terrible weapon in my eyes and though a lot of "1337" M14 gurus might disagree, I think the average player is gonna be near useless with it compared to the Crossbow.

The Lever Action almost outshines it, doing similar damage, having less recoil, far better ironsights, and much cheaper cost. To me, the M14 is a non-option for Sharpshooters and doesn't really fill much of a role these days.

Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0
The only "Overnerf" with Sharpshooter is, IMO, the M14. I've heard that it can still be amazing...but I've NEVER seen it do good compared to the Crossbow since the patch. NEVER.

The ironsights are god awful, the laser sight is useless until specimens are closer than you'd like them to be, the recoil makes rapid fire unfeasable, and if you don't nail a headshot (Difficult with the iron sights), you're probably NOT going to kill your target.

Right now, it's just a terrible weapon in my eyes and though a lot of "1337" M14 gurus might disagree, I think the average player is gonna be near useless with it compared to the Crossbow.

The Lever Action almost outshines it, doing similar damage, having less recoil, far better ironsights, and much cheaper cost. To me, the M14 is a non-option for Sharpshooters and doesn't really fill much of a role these days.

I would like M14 being buffed. Then I can use it when I play with random team. As 6lv ss, I really dont think it get high recoil... especially you compare it to the LAR. Rapid fire is very doable. But since most people cannot get use to the laser sight (not much people who dont spam REALLY USE this weapon, so no big supprise) it seems people would like M14 to be buffed...

Upvote 0
I feel the pain of the SS "balance". On hard and below ,his 9mm advantage is non existent because every class can use it just as effectively;commandos are even more effective than you. On HOE his power is further reduced by "balancing" his 9mm damage again. Bull****. All of weapons except the LAR have been "balanced" to Pea shooters. M14 should have more oomph in either power or hit effect. Even the Desert eagle got "balanced". No more 1 hit kills on crawlers. Its a damn Desert Eagle! Have you seen those thing in real life? Have you held one? That is not a pea shooter by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry about the rant. Just pisses me off.

From my experience to run and gun with the SS:

1. 9mm for trash
2. LAR for long range
3. M14 for close range and swarms. It has just enough power to get it done if you hs in rapid succession.

4. Hip firing is no longer a good tactic unless your consistent. You got stop and pop fast to keep on the go.

Don't even shoot at the FP. Not worth your time. You will get your team killed more often than not.

Reactions: Maktaka
Upvote 0
I feel the pain of the SS "balance". On hard and below ,his 9mm advantage is non existent because every class can use it just as effectively;commandos are even more effective than you. On HOE his power is further reduced by "balancing" his 9mm damage again. Bull****. All of weapons except the LAR have been "balanced" to Pea shooters. M14 should have more oomph in either power or hit effect. Even the Desert eagle got "balanced". No more 1 hit kills on crawlers. Its a damn Desert Eagle! Have you seen those thing in real life? Have you held one? That is not a pea shooter by any stretch of the imagination. Sorry about the rant. Just pisses me off.

From my experience to run and gun with the SS:

1. 9mm for trash
2. LAR for long range
3. M14 for close range and swarms. It has just enough power to get it done if you hs in rapid succession.

4. Hip firing is no longer a good tactic unless your consistent. You got stop and pop fast to keep on the go.

Don't even shoot at the FP. Not worth your time. You will get your team killed more often than not.

NO!! You ONLY need 4 hs from the xbow to kill an fleshpound. So it is very effective in killing the fleshpound!!!:troll:

Upvote 0
Hell are you talking about? 1 xbow headshot from any class takes out a siren or a husk.

We're probably just having a misunderstanding. I'm sure sharpshooters have a role in a turtle situation. If the team throws themselves into a corner and guns it out, yeah I'd take a *few* sharpshooters (1 is a joke) over other classes.

However, In ANY situation that requires the team to actually move while killing (90% of my HoE games), the SS becomes the most useless class in the game. He can't scout ahead of the team, because of his need for head shots; He can't kill the zeds the team is kiting because of his painfully slow speed (and again head shots).

Basically, everyone changed SS into this pure head shot cast. That's fine and all, until you actually have to MOVE. Whoops, testers made a tinsy mistake there.

Play SS like one would play Counter Strike, stick and move. Run, stop for a second to fire off a quick headshot, move again.

A marksman class is bound to be more stationary then any other anyway. That's in keeping with the role.

All I'm gonna say is pre-beta Sharpshooter was my most hated perk... post beta its a strong contender for 1 of my favourites :)

My thoughts exactly.

Upvote 0
I just really wanna know what the crap the M14s big draw is? The recoil prevents rapid-enough fire for me to take down bigger stuff, you have to headshot almost all small stuff for a kill (Even crawlers/stalkers, IIRC!) and it's more expensive than the Crossbow.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the weapon itself better than the Crossbow. I love my semi-auto guns! But the terrible ironsights, recoil, bb-gun-esque bodyshot damage, and sizeable weight make it pretty much a crappier version of the Lever Action, which is probably my favorite gun in the entire game.

The only way I've had the M14 not be a joke lately is to combo it with the LAR and use the LAR for anything sizable or that requires aim. I have to reserve the M14 for close range laser-sight headshot spammage (Which I can do better WITH penetrating hits using the Crossbow!).

If someone knows this gun's strength, please tell me. I really WANT to like this gun and figure out how to own with it, but right now, it's seeming to be inferior in every way to the Crossbow.

Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0