• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Observations on Current Attitudes

I've seen that lately too. I stopped playing RO for about a year (Didn't have broadband in my new house) and when I returned I was disappointed. One of the things that made me love this game was the team work and the mature attitude of most players. Sadly is common to see players simply ignoring any command from the SL or any other player, calling noob (with the F***k word every 3 sentences) anytime to any player.

By the way, I

Upvote 0
I have one request.
Every now and then I end up on a server where the one guy moans non-stop, Will this guy please get a life and enjoy the game ...
My online AKA is 'BoB'.. so you'll know who I am :)
Don't mix the same IP with my Kid who also plays on the same PC (for the moment)
Have you tried "muting" his text chat and/or VOIP? You do know you can do that, right? Though it doesn't always work and you have to keep doing it every map, when it does work it is a real sanity saver when playing with those that can't seem to get a grasp on life.

Upvote 0
I've seen a bit of this, but far less than in any other game I play. Just a few days ago I was in one of the 24/7 Danzigs (not by choice; it was the only server populated enough to warrant joining which pinged under 300) and this kid was stirring the pot, with 2 or 3 guys fighting back. Eventually he left and everyone had a good laugh about it, but it was rather irritating while he was going at it as half the team were spending more time standing around typing than actually fighting. I've also seen a lot of edgy political discussion, but to be fair it's only coming from very few players who I've seen carry on with the same crap ever since I've been playing RO. Most of the community seems alright.

Swearing never has bothered me and never will, either. I find the very notion that swear words should be offensive ridiculous as they're just words at that, so I really don't care - in fact, I swear quite a bit myself and always have (usually just using them as intensifiers though, rarely in a deliberately aggressive/offensive manner).

Upvote 0
Have you tried "muting" his text chat and/or VOIP? You do know you can do that, right?
Actually No.. but I'll use this in future - thanks
With regard to swearing... it's not called for and there are younger people playing. I work in an (film) industry of 'swearers' and I'm always telling them to speak properly.. Sometimes I hear nothing but garbage coming from the mouths of 'trash'.. say no more !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With regard to swearing... it's not called for and there are younger people playing. I work in an (film) industry of 'swearers' and I'm always telling them to speak properly.. Sometimes I hear nothing but garbage coming from the mouths of 'trash'.. say no more !!
This game is rated M for Mature.

Upvote 0

To be plainly honest, kids shouldn't even be playing a violent game like RO. It's odd how you seem to think swearing is unacceptable, yet amputated limbs and gore is fine. Yes, there's no need to type profanity into the chat or yell it across VoIP, but it happens, get over it. Given the fact that this game was rated 16+ in the UK alone, I really don't think anyone unfamiliar with swear words should even be playing the game. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I've laid off RO for a bit (delving into the world of Second Life and all that mess), and upon my return to the Eastern Front I've noticed somewhat of a shift in the attitudes and, more noticeably, the language used by players online.

I'm not one to be squeamish about off-color remarks and the like, but when I log on to a server and am immediately asaulted by "G-D this" and "F-YOU" and the like I have to wonder at the caliber of players we have on board now. 'Back in the day' I could hit any server at any time of day and be greeted by a very welcome bit of mature gameplay, without the slightest nod to crude language with the exception of a mild expletive every now and then (usually preceded by violent death in the field). Now it's almost like a number of RO servers are populated entirely by players who throw curses and insults about like they were nothing.

I've got nothing against good-natured taunting of enemy forces on occasion, but when it's a constant drone of accusations of homosexuality on both sides, and stories of relations with one's mom or sisters (or fathers, for that matter), it just gets to the point where one wants to disable Voice comms altogether and lose a vital part of RO, team interaction.

Another item that goes along with this is the current fashion for race-baiting, especially for those players who identify themselves (true or not) as being anything other than lily-white. I've done this myself- given myself a 'gangsta' screen name and 'talked the talk' on Voice, just to see what would happen. Predictably: I was immediately assailed as being a 'dumb N***er' and the like. On another occasion I chanced to log on and listen to a Jewish player be browbeaten for nothing more than being Jewish (I made a point of observing his gameplay and listening to his Voice comms in-game, and he was anything but antagonistic about it).

One of the big areas of concern to the group of players I had the good fortune to lead was a potential for RO to draw in the wannabe White Power crowd, as it is one of the few outlets for them to 'be' (even virtually) one of Germany's Finest. OTOH, there are also the Reds, who are just as virally anti- whatever and take every opportunity to German-bash just because of that nation's history.

Where is this all leading us? Will RO one day be investigated as a 'virtual training ground for extremists'? Will individual server admins be sued for knowingly hosting games in which hate speech (from all quarters) is routinely condoned? Will individual PLAYERS be hauled in for 'communication of threats', even those in a virtual setting? The way the state of the world is heading, none of these would surprise me a bit.

In closing, I urge each and every one of you RO players- especially you veterans who should know better- to WATCH WHAT YOU SAY out there, both in general commentary as well as to each other regardless of what side you are on. For a new player logging on, such language can be a harsh- and quite unnecessary- introduction (not to mention if Mom or Dad is taking a look at what Little Johnny got for Christmas). For older players such as myself, it's just a sad commentary on the passing of what used to be probably the most professional and 'gentlemanly' game in play.

I first played Red Orch in May 2006 and ended in May 2007 or there abouts. During that time I saw many, many cycles of changes as waves of people left and new groups came on and as old timers returned. About Sept. 2006 through Nov. there developed a good deal in the games about which you complain. By Dec. 2007 it had vanished for the most part. It was back again some time around early Spring 2007. I ignored most of it - if I didn't like what a guy was saying or the music he was forcing us to listen to, I simply shot him.

What I found more interesting was how waves of old timers would either quit or be sucked up into clans - end up playing set clan wars and leaving the commons area. Their place would be filled with newbies who had to be retrained - I would get tired of having to train them and quit for a month. When I first started I used a myriad of trick tactics and enjoyed running circles around my enemies. But within a few weeks everyone would catch on to these tricks and skin me alive. Then after a month of being gone, I'd return and find the players easy to trick again with my old tricks. But in Dec. 2006 someone must have chased all the old timers back into the game for Christmas cause suddenly just about everyone I was playing was using my old tricks and more. They were shooting panzerfausts in quick draw snap shots at their maximum range dead on target! I loved that month! I was fighting with and against hired killers and assassins - all very shrewd!

But when I returned in Feb. 2007 the whole place was alive with newbies! By April 2007 I returned again to even worse newbies. I quit playing about that time once and for all. (just my observations and opinions)

Upvote 0
The strangest thing I've ever seen in a game of RO was someone who took the username "AngryNigga," joined the Axis, and started killing his own teammates while using voice commands to repeatedly shout "Grenade!" If anybody told him to stop, or TK'd him back, he accused them of committing a "hate crime" and called them racists.

I figure he must have been some kind of neo-nazi provocateur. Either that, or just plain disturbed.

During my very first week (possibly first day) of gameplay I encountered a player who took on the name of Islam's profit (all CAPS). He joined the Russians and was tk'ing everyone. Very much like this guy above, he constantly accused us of hate crime whenever we told him to stop or tk'ed back, followed by his most prevalent statement: "f*** France" (?) (only rarely changing "France" to Russia, other allies, etc.) Throughout the next couple of weeks I kept seeing him on other servers, sometimes taking on a different but similar name, until I figure he must have gotten banned from every server on the list. Worst of all, this was before there was a TK limit, so he would often finish maps with a score of -20 or so.

Luckily, this was the only person I met like this for my first few months of gameplay, with everyone else being very curteous and encouraging of the new guy, so my introduction to RO wasn't scarred (too badly).

I don't know if it makes any difference but I started after Christmas of 2006, so the beginning of 2007.

Upvote 0
I have played RO since the mod days and have seen the community come and go. I have never seen a game that had individuals try to be PC like in RO. The community to me as a whole are really great people. I have never had a bad time on public servers. In fact I enjoy public servers just as much as playing against organized groups. This game enables people to enjoy different game types. There are idiots on both sides of the political spectrum that love to cause problems on these forums. Most are imature and want to dictate their views to the community. However one has to remember that RO has such a unique gameplay that it takes new people time to adjust. Teamwork comes with experience. Try not to judge people over that. They might be new and need a helping hand. Overall the RO community is great and I have seen nothing but great people having a good time playing the best FPS out there. Remember to have patience with the new guys and verbally abuising people is never right. I try to treat people the way I would want to be treated. Have fun guys with a great game and try keep your political views out. Its just a game and when it comes down to it we are all the same, no matter what country you come from or religion you are. Look forward to seeing you on the virtual battlefield.

Upvote 0