• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Keep on Crashing...

Karunashi

Dec 14, 2010
Alright so it has been a while since I played this game so I am not sure if this is a problem that everyone is going through but I'm keep crashing. The Christmas maps keep giving off lap spikes and this game seems to crash on me in the middle of the game whenever it feels like it. I think I did whatever I was asked to in the stickies for the most part but I am still experiencing problems so I was hoping you could provide me with a fix or let me know when the next update is.

The following quote is what I got for my error. I am actually running on Windows 7 Ultimate 86x but I had to make this game run on XP just so it could run (one of the fixes I found online to get this game working...).
Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3415 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (1036)

CreateTexture failed(8007000E).

History: FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UCanvas::DrawActor <- UCanvas::execDrawActor <- (AA12AutoShotgun kf-manor.AA12AutoShotgun @ Function KFmod.KFWeapon.RenderOverlays : 0101) <- UObject::processEvent <- (HUDKillingFloor kf-manor.HUDKillingFloor, Function Engine.HUD.PostRenderActors) <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Manor <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I also get this error

Code:

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2000 MHz with 2046MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (6099)

History: FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- FStaticMeshBatchList::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-EvilSantasLair.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Evil Santas Lair <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
Only on the new christmas map. Other maps work fine. What I noticed is that KF continues to consume free memory until it hits the capacity which then the game crashes.

Reactions: leondres
Upvote 0
So is there a reason why no moderators are coming here and posting what the problem is? I keep seeing so many problems, enough to see this thread off the 1st page when I posted it yesterday...? Not sure what to say but I still paid the full price for this game when it first came out -and- got some skin packs just to support it so I really am expecting a better answer/response from the forums. I have checked the link provided by the 1st poster and it doesn't say much.

I need a fix or this will never be resolved :/

Reactions: leondres
Upvote 0
So is there a reason why no moderators are coming here and posting what the problem is? I keep seeing so many problems, enough to see this thread off the 1st page when I posted it yesterday...? Not sure what to say but I still paid the full price for this game when it first came out -and- got some skin packs just to support it so I really am expecting a better answer/response from the forums. I have checked the link provided by the 1st poster and it doesn't say much.

I need a fix or this will never be resolved :/

No, it seems no one wants to come forth and say there's a pretty significant problem. Here's a link to my comments and what I have tried to do to fix the problems.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48365

It may help you play SLIGHTLY as I can actually get the game to load, sometimes, other times it locks my entire computer and im forced to restart, and still other times it will play fine and then freeze.

Ever since this update its been hell, and ya i know how you feel, I played full price when killing floor first came out as well because I loved it, still do, but no one seems to get this isn't a problem with a simple fix. We just have to wait and see, which is honestly just making me mad. Never had an issue with the game before this EVIL update.....

Upvote 0
For the lagging, someone posted this over at the Steam forums which may or may not help - if you have set your precaching off, they found that it ran smoothly setting it back on.

Code:
1) Find your KillingFloor.ini file located in the steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor/system folder (hint it looks like a notpad icon with a cog)
2) Change the values listed below:

under [ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem]
Change UsePrecache=False to UsePrecache=True

and under [Engine.LevelInfo]
Change bNeverPrecache=True to bNeverPrecache=False

and under [Engine.NullRenderDevice]
Change UsePrecaching=False to UsePrecaching=True

and under [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]

and under [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]

and under [OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]

and under [PixoDrv.PixoRenderDevice]
For the crashing, which is a totally different error message to your one leondres, so please stop crossposting, Bitdefender 2010 has been shown to cause an issue, so try disabling that temporarily if you have it, or you can try disabling the desktop composition feature in the compatibility options that you've already found from enabling XP mode - I'm not sure why you would need that on. Other ideas are make sure everything is up to date driver-wise, and try changing your Steam server download location and validating your game cache. The createtexturefailed error is typically a caused by a corrupt file or overheating - or something unrelated, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did a full reinstall (red/led the entire thing, deleted the entire folder beforehand). Sometimes, I can load the winter map, but most of the time, the game consumes all my memory slowly and crashes when it tries to load the map. Oddly enough, it does get to the lobby for a split second (I can hear the music/sounds as well) but KF black screens and continues to consume RAM.

Precache is also on (was by default)

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing lag spikes since the update. AT first, I thought it was me and lowered my video settings. That didn't work. I thought it was the new map since that's where I've noticed it and I've been playing exclusively on that map since the map, so I tried another map. Didn't fix it.

Now, I'm at a loss for what to do. What did Tripwire do to cause this?

Upvote 0
I'm having exact same problem. Always nice to crash when ur at 10/10 on a map you haven't finished.

Also for some weird reason the specs on my pc is wrong.
My cpu is not at 2.720 it's at 2.67 also i have 8 gig ram not 4.
Running all settings on high and no lag and this crash occurs on all maps.

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2720 MHz with 4095MB RAM

History: FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UCanvas::DrawActor <- UCanvas::execDrawActor <- (AK47AssaultRifle kf-crash.AK47AssaultRifle @ Function KFmod.KFWeapon.RenderOverlays : 0101) <- UObject::processEvent <- (HUDKillingFloor kf-crash.HUDKillingFloor, Function Engine.HUD.PostRenderActors) <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Crash <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well when I tried to do whatever Morello asked me to from the Steam Forums post, it was already changed (assuming I did this like a month ago because that was the last time I played this game). And well I went with your second solution of verifying the game and fixing any corrupt spots. I didn't have to delete anything and it looked like steam did everything. After it was done I tried and it seems to have far less lag for me and I can actually play a full round (Played a full normal wave, long game on a server at wave 1). It was pretty fun and I think I fixed the problem thanks to Morello and the links he has provided me.

I will attempt this again on Santa's Evil Lair after I eat and see if it has any problems. Wish me Luck :D

Upvote 0
Another Error

Another Error

Updating!
Okay so this time it didn't happen early into the game but it just simply crashed while I was buying my items lol...

History: FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- USkeletalMeshInstance::Render <- FDynamicActor::Render <- FActorSceneNode::Render <- UCanvas::DrawActor <- UCanvas::execDrawActor <- (BoomStick KF-Meow.BoomStick @ Function KFmod.KFWeapon.RenderOverlays : 0101) <- UObject::processEvent <- (HUDKillingFloor KF-Meow.HUDKillingFloor, Function Engine.HUD.PostRenderActors) <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Meow <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
I crash on level switching. This has never happened prior to the Christmas update so clearly something changed.

It doesn't matter what level I was playing before or how long I was in the game, it just crashes every single time so far.

I've re-verified my files, no go.

That said, my friend does not crash when they level switch. I don't want to re-download the entire game and re-configure all my settings.

Edit: Apparently 256mb cache crashes things now. Just lowered it to 128mb and switched just fine.

Edit2: Judged too soon, crashed again but only just a bit after loading the next level.

Edit3: Disabling the audio precaching stopped the crashes so far.

I doubt you need the crash report, but here it is anyway.

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 3558 MHz with 4095MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (6590)

History: FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Departed <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free
Another error that comes up is a C++ runtime one. "Asked to terminate in blah blah"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update: I find it that I crash randomly on even the maps that used to be good in the past before this update. I think it is the Christmas map that crashes a lot more frequently though and has a lot more lag spike issues than other maps. I am only going to guess the map makers for that map were either half-assing it or something went wrong in the process to encounter such a problem and not even find it when they test-run it (I hope they test-run their products before the release public updates...)

Anyways I can only hope Tripwire is taking into account of all these influx of errors/technical errors that we're running into. It just seems odd that I can run games like black ops and other new games on full settings without a problem but this game seems to have a problem with things~

Anyways crashes are more often from custom/newer maps and the older maps have less likely chance of crashing for my case, and if I do crash it's from random instances like entering the shop and buying an item or changing a perk, things that just crash on me when I think the map is stable lol.

Upvote 0
I crash on level switching. This has never happened prior to the Christmas update so clearly something changed.

It doesn't matter what level I was playing before or how long I was in the game, it just crashes every single time so far.

I've re-verified my files, no go.

That said, my friend does not crash when they level switch. I don't want to re-download the entire game and re-configure all my settings.

Edit: Apparently 256mb cache crashes things now. Just lowered it to 128mb and switched just fine.

Edit2: Judged too soon, crashed again but only just a bit after loading the next level.

Edit3: Disabling the audio precaching stopped the crashes so far.

I doubt you need the crash report, but here it is anyway.

Another error that comes up is a C++ runtime one. "Asked to terminate in blah blah"

Have the exact same problem CreateTexture and 1-2 times c++ runtime thing

I tried to verify game cache. After that I deleted ini file, then tried to delete system folder. After that I deleted all local content through steam, went into steamapps and deleted all KF.cfg's and then into common and the entire KF folder. Reinstalled kf. Still crashd, tried to up my precache from standard 32 to 128 still crashing.

I'm at odds what to do here? Please devs... I'm working my *** off for achievements here and I crash at wave 9 when I got scar, ak, body armor, grenades all full ammo and we're sooo winning it.

Sucks *** like hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why does this game require more space when I have 50 GB on the main one and like 1 terabyte on my other harddisk...?

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 00000000 524288 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 524288*1 <- TArray<< <- TLazyArray::Load <- FStaticTexture::GetTextureData <- KillingFloorHUD.MainMenu.kf_menu_scrake2 <- FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- FCanvasUtil::Flush <- UCanvas::DrawTile <- UCanvas::DrawTileScaleBound <- GUIImage::Draw <- (GUIImage Package.GUIImage) <- UGUIMultiComponent::DrawControls <- (KFMainMenu Package.KFMainMenu) <- GUIMultiComponent::Draw <- (KFMainMenu Package.KFMainMenu) <- GUIPage::Draw <- (KFMainMenu Package.KFMainMenu) <- GUIController::NativePostRender <- UInteractionMaster::MasterProcessPostRender <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
I've tried most of the fixes suggested by morello. Every time a new problem arises.

I just reinstalled kf and set standard settings and avoided bad santa skin for a while it was ok.

Now still create texture problem.
Still "ran out of virtual memory" I only have one hard drive and its in 1 partition (C) with over 240 gigs of space left.
I also got some funny crash called "runtime error" with microsoft c++ library and it shows a path to my killingfloor.exe

And once in a while I join a server where my ping is perfectly fine but the game is choppy and laggy even if I go from highest settings to lowest and turn off all unnecessary programs.

My pcs specs are:
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, P55, Socket-1156
4xDDR3, ATX, GbLAN, 4phase power, PCI-Ex(2.0)x16
Intel Core? i5 Quad Processor i5-750
Quad Core, 2.66Ghz, Socket 1156, 8MB, 95W
Silver Power PSU, 600W 120mm fan +
SeaSonic 6P PCI-E to 8P PCI-E adapter
Western Digital Caviar

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another Error!

Another Error!

Another Error

History: FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetSimpleMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- FCanvasUtil::Flush <- UCanvas::DrawTile <- AHudBase::DrawSpriteWidget <- AHudBase::execDrawSpriteWidget <- (HUDKillingFloor kf-departed.HUDKillingFloor @ Function KFmod.HUDKillingFloor.DrawHudPassA : 0036) <- UObject::processEvent <- (HUDKillingFloor kf-departed.HUDKillingFloor, Function KFmod.HUDKillingFloor.PostRender) <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-Departed <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0