• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Error] Multi Coloured Orbs

BigPickle51

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2011
Hey all sorry if this has been brought up before but i couldnt find anything about the orb format that i have.

Anyhow, basically since the last update, I have noticed multi coloured orbs flickering in and out on my screen. At first it appeared random but i noticed over time it seemed the it was following almost a visual axis like a joystick has when you caliberate it, and they appear on my screen as i move the camera around.
Having this really put me off playing RO2 beta so i decided to have a go on another steam game, to my suprise they are there too! I must state that they seem not to appear with non steam games.

This apparent oddity leads me to believe that it may not be the games code changes but the visual basic update we recieved too that has somehow effected the games on this platform.

I have uninstalled my GPU drivers to make sure they wernt the issue and the orbs are still there.

So, do we have any idea when it will be corrected?
Also what exactly was the visual basic update that came with the games update? as id rather unistall from control pannel and wait till the next game update so i can play the rest of my games properly.

Regards
Bp

I have got a video of the orbs flickering on my screen, remember this only started with the update that had the visual ++ stuff with it.

sparkles.avi - YouTube

I really would like this to be taken seriously, and for someone offical to get back to me to help me solve it as it seems to effect all of my steam games.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab6pA1pnIn0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have got a video of the orbs flickering on my screen, remember this only started with the update that had the visual ++ stuff with it.

sparkles.avi - YouTube
I really would like this to be taken seriously, and for someone offical to get back to me to help me solve it as it seems to effect all of my steam games.

That's very strange. They are all red and blue (except when suppressed) so maybe you have "3d display" enabled on your settings? My suggestion is to uninstall your display drivers, then reinstall. Make sure during reinstall you UNCHECK the "3d vision" or whatever it's called.

Upvote 0
To be honest that looks like artefacting, which if it is means your GPU is on the way out, I had a similar problem with my 4870, some time it would run fine, then I would get a similar thing, it just got gradually worse and worse until I had to replace it with a 6870.

I would suggest getting a program that allows you to monitor the GPU for temperature and usage, and to check the fans are running correctly. MSI Afterburner is a good program for this, get it here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/-MSI-Afterburner-2.2.0-Beta-7-download-2781.html

or you could use GPU-Z which also will allow you to keep a record of what is going on, get that here

http://downloads.guru3d.com/GPU-Z-0.5.5-download-2779.html

Install one of these then run some heavy benching software such as 3dmark or furmark, see what happens and what is going on with your GPU. I know you will still feel it is the software because the problem started after the update but that is likely to just be coincidence, it is not affecting me or others, and these test will help you find out for sure one way or the other

Upvote 0
To be honest I love my 6870, its a mid range card now, but its about 40 - 50% faster than my old 4870 (512mb) and runs all my games relatively smoothly (the exception being this game lol, but that's a coding optimization error that will hopefully be fixed)

I have always preferred ATI cards, had less problems with them, but then you will get others who same the same about Nvidia

I would get the 6870 over the 6850, but you will need to be quick, the 6870 is out of production now and so there is limited stock around, I wouldn't touch the 560 *the 560 Ti is awesome but the standard 560 does not impress me that much. The Ti of course though comes with a price premium

Upvote 0
Thanks mate thats very helpful, I definately prefer ATI myself, same 4870 512mb :)
For me the real decision lay in wether to get the slightly older but overclocked 6850 or the newer and stock 6870.
But i think i was possibly going for the 6870 to be honest anyway. Thank you you have been a great help, oh also have you ever tested your card with any flight sims?

Upvote 0
No sorry flight sims are not really my cup of tea, I am more of an FPS or at a push 3rd person for games like Mass Effect, both 1 and 2 run flawlessly btw.

I have no problems with games like
MoH
Mass Effect 1 & 2
BF:BC 2
Crysis 1 & 2
Any CoD
Stalker 1 & 2
AvP
I have about 70+ games in my steam list and all run fine, this game gives me problems like many others, but that is not down to the graphics card just the coding and optimization

Upvote 0