• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire, have you guys thought about the xbox360?

I too own most of the consoles, but game mainly on PC and consider myself a PC gamer - and yes, I'm loving the 'acknowledgement' of the ill effects of the rise of console gaming on pc gaming - and i'm loving this forum even more for it :p

but alas, isn't that the way many things meet their doom? they get popular, they cater to the masses, and like everything else for the masses, they get lame

Upvote 0
I thing about consoles theres what 3 major ones, pretty much all of the games on those consoles can be played on pc. So why go out and purchase those 3 If your computer can handle them games :\

There are many that you can't play on PC and there are many that come out in PC versions that are just bad ports, with an interface that is only slightly modified from the console, rather than an interface designed for the PC. Look at Oblivion and Fallout 3. Those are console interfaces ported over virtually unchanged to the PC version and they feel very clumsy and clunky using them with a mouse.

Basically, my rule of thumb is: if it's obviously designed as a console game, I'll buy on a console. If it's designed as a PC game or the PC version is specially cutomized for PC, I'll buy it on the PC. I'll usually read reviews of multiplatform games to see if the PC version is good or if it's just a lame port. If it's the latter, I'll just get the game for the platform it was designed for (console, in that case).

As mentioned above, games are now a major, bilion-dollar industry up there with the movie industry (and with similar budgets to movies), so yeah, most games are designed to appeal to the widest possible audience, which means, for the most part, dumbing them down. Look at the Transformers movies--there's no artistic merit at all, but there are CGI robots, explosions and a certain hot actress, so they make lots of money, since lots of people like watching CGI robots, explosions and hot actresses even if there's no plot to speak of or anything to make you think. Games are going the same way. Much like independent films, only independent games usually try new and different things instead of trying to appeal to the broadest possible audience.

It's all about the bottom line now. It used to be gamers making games they'd like to play, but now it's big companies making games they think the largest demographic will like to play and the quality and innovation of games are suffering for it.

Upvote 0
It's all about the bottom line now. It used to be gamers making games they'd like to play, but now it's big companies making games they think the largest demographic will like to play and the quality and innovation of games are suffering for it.

No kidding. The series' I mentioned, specifically Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon went from games that even Clancy himself said could "only be properly simulated with the precision of a PC" for both the high-speed aiming and for the tactical assault planning with go-codes and such (Which was COMPLETELY removed from console versions as well...) to the point where they now have all entries in the series be 'Console Only' and hardly recognizable as a realistic game, let alone recognizable as a sequel to Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon...

The latest entries in the series (Rainbow Six: Los Vegas and Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter) are absolutely pathetic and make me ashamed to be a fan of the series. I just pray that Tripwire has the good sense not to do anything similar with RO or KF.

On another note, anyone who keeps advocating more "Realism" in KF or RO really should try Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, the last GOOD game in the series. It'll show you how challenging a game can be when it's pretty close to "Real life", but also how much fun it can be. It had somewhere around 50 guns, each similar, yet completely different. And, of course, each capable of killing in a single, well-placed shot. Fun stuff!

Upvote 0
On another note, anyone who keeps advocating more "Realism" in KF or RO really should try Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, the last GOOD game in the series. It'll show you how challenging a game can be when it's pretty close to "Real life", but also how much fun it can be. It had somewhere around 50 guns, each similar, yet completely different. And, of course, each capable of killing in a single, well-placed shot. Fun stuff!

Yeah, Raven Shield is the one I got into. Planning your route, coordinating multiple teams, go-codes, etc were all awesome.

I also advocate more realism in KF. I wish more things from RO would have carried over, like realistic magazine/ammo handling (instead of the nearly ubiquitous "magic-top-off" mechanic of most FPS games, including KF. Also, the pistols magically lock their slides back when reloading. This should only happen if you fire the last round. This has a gameplay affect also, since reloading a dry gun (ie: nothing in the chamber or magazine) is a little slower than reloading the gun before it's completely dry.

I don't get why they would remove some of the realism that's already there in RO. KF will probably always be a niche game, so why not embrace that and take the realism all the way?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind working w/ XNA. It has some nice audio management tools; would just be a matter of using them for a couple weeks and my job would be done. Everything else though is where things get far, far more complicated since there are very few things remaining that you can simply run the source through the dev tools.
Not completely ruling it out but there are more recent engines that offer better integration w/ XNA, like UE2X or UE3. I think that if KF were to make it to one of these more recent engines it fares a higher chance of finding it's way onto consoles.
(hint: get more ppl to buy kf to support it ;) )

Last edited:
Upvote 0