• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Votekick System

{Cap-Down}

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2006
Surrey, England
Just got inspired by that "AFKing" thread.

When somones constantly TKing or going AFK it really gets on my nerves. And there's nothing you can do as when you place a vote to kick them either people ignore it or reply "you can kick in RO?!?!?!".

I suggest having a CS type kicking system where a screen pops up in the right with the persons name when an initial votekick is placed against them.

This would probably prompt people to look at the scores and say oh he's a tker or ask "why?" to which you'll say he's afk.

Seconded! Any vote system needs to be intuitive, like the mapvoting currently is.

As another example, the HL2 mod Dystopia has two kinds of voting systems: a very Source-like vote menu for map voting, which just gives the options, and a Yes/No vote system that pops up in case someone suggests to kick a player or change a map or anything that can be either answered by "yes" or "no". It also shows how many yes-answers are needed before it's taken into effect. It also has page up bound to Yes and page down bound to No, so a new player immediately sees what is needed of him to affect the voting process.

Upvote 0
I STRONGLY support this thread!

The Enemy Territory system is also another good example of a successful working vote system, it even includes vote's for server options and even some admin commands. It even has an automatic TK counter that imedately asks the victim if they want to file a complaint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would do many sordid and unsavory things to see a better kick vote system implemented, but hopefully I won't have to. The current system is clumsy at best, and 99% of players I see don't even know it's there. All we're looking for is some immersion and fun, and one TKer can ruin it for dozens of people. It ought to be EASY to kick a TKer, not some obscure option buried 3 menus deep. Anyway, it's just a session ban, a warning really, leave the real bans to the admins. There are some silly servers/maps where TKs are just kinda part of the fun (skijump anyone?), so I think kick voting should be easy and left up to whoever is currently playing. Cross the line and you're gone for now, but to err is human, etc...

Upvote 0
Band Aid , bubble gum and duct tape fix would be to allow Key Binding for it, instead of having to dig into the GAME CONTROLS to find the thing...and..whoops...blinding yourself totally during Battle.

Where we have as default '*' for map voting...something like the / (slash) key as default to call up the Kick Vote.

Upvote 0
Always an iffy subject.

I do agree that votekicking should be easier to do, not buried so many pages in the configuration menu after hitting escape.

However, I am reminded of this abuse, which I saw for the first time a few days ago. On an 'unnamed' server that was running Enemy at the Gates, a group from a clan (5 or 6 guys) were in there spouting off. After I was on for about 5 minutes, they got together and placed votekicks against a certain player until he was kicked. They then left the server and immediately rejoined to repeat the process, votekick, leave server and rejoin. I have no idea why they ganged up on those few individuals. After kicking a third player, they all left and didn't return. :confused:

So, it can be abused and because of that one incident, I see why some servers have votekicking disabled.

Upvote 0
Always an iffy subject.

I do agree that votekicking should be easier to do, not buried so many pages in the configuration menu after hitting escape.

However, I am reminded of this abuse, which I saw for the first time a few days ago. On an 'unnamed' server that was running Enemy at the Gates, a group from a clan (5 or 6 guys) were in there spouting off. After I was on for about 5 minutes, they got together and placed votekicks against a certain player until he was kicked. They then left the server and immediately rejoined to repeat the process, votekick, leave server and rejoin. I have no idea why they ganged up on those few individuals. After kicking a third player, they all left and didn't return. :confused:

So, it can be abused and because of that one incident, I see why some servers have votekicking disabled.

Exactly... so you see, there is no real substitute for an ADMIN.

AFAIK, I saw similar abuses from a group of Clammers, (aren't they supposed to know better?) All they managed to do was get the Vote Kick thing turned off. Oh, they are/were banned from our servers..

It seems there is always a few boneheads who will try to destroy the fun of others. Sickos. :cool:

Upvote 0

And this is true, but it is also unavoidable.

Besically all you can do when somthing like this happens is leave the server, which is the same solution that players in other games do when they get in a server where there is rampant vote-kicking abuse. It basically shows that the server isn't admined well and isn't even worth your time playing on.

When I used to play Enemy Territory, there was a short time I experienced early on where some people tried to abuse the vote-kicking system, but it didn't last long because most people left the server after they found out that anybody could be kicked for no reason. In essence the bad servers were left empty, and the safe, fair, and admined servers thrived and multiplied.

In your example these players are taking advantage of a system that almost no one knows how to use, so they were safe from other players using it against them. If a simplier and more obvious system was in place, somthing that anyone and everyone can use, then they wouldn't have that advantage anymore, and they could have been kicked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just got inspired by that "AFKing" thread.

When somones constantly TKing or going AFK it really gets on my nerves. And there's nothing you can do as when you place a vote to kick them either people ignore it or reply "you can kick in RO?!?!?!".

I suggest having a CS type kicking system where a screen pops up in the right with the persons name when an initial votekick is placed against them.

This would probably prompt people to look at the scores and say oh he's a tker or ask "why?" to which you'll say he's afk.

Yup, a system that is a simple button selection in the class selection screen for example would be easy and actually used. Perhaps even the option to type a reason that appears as a message something like, "Slyder73 has placed a votekick against XXXXX for teamkilling". The "For teamkilling" part would be the message I enter.

It should also be required that ONLY the team on which the player is on needs to vote, not both teams. Getting the other team to help you vote of a player is impossible now, and counter-productive to their efforts, which is why they think it's great when the enemy has a bad player or two and rarely help in the voting. (When they can figure it out)

It also needs to be a session kick, not a plain kick. The one single time I"ve ever seen the votekick work, the person just rejoined. Needless to say a second votekick didn't happen, it was hard enough the first time.

Upvote 0
I think a voting system similar to Quake 3 Team Arena - or Urban Terror - should be introduced.

Voting should be easy.
It could and will be used by ****tards to improve their ego but that is still way better than seeing tkers being able to do what they want if their is not adming pressent.

Upvote 0
I pull up this thread because it's just happened again.
Implement it in any way you like but PLEASE GIVE PLAYERS A USABLE WAY to get rid of this plague !!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe that one only person can decide if 20/30 players can carry on playing or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!

One only nerd is enough to kill a whole game, or even a complete series of games, and we are totally helpless.
I know better server settings can give some result (not enough anyway IMHO), but don't forget that server admins are often unaware about this aspect.

DEVs, please help the community !!! Give us a way to get rid of those TK jokers !!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.
On the other side, you can be SL in KonigsPlatz, playing at best and being on top of your team roster, and kicked just because the rookies of your team run in the arty.
At the end, I think kick must in some way be linked to overall score, and made session-permanent if a consistent number of players vote for it (with an intuitive mechanism).

Upvote 0