• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Way too many controls

(RIP)Zeus

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 13, 2011
I played RO years ago when it first came out. I just couldn't get the hang of the controls then and that's why I stopped playing. I was hoping this release would be different but it seems there are just as many. Semicolon for this... shift control for that...mouse wheel for this...etc. I've been playing the EA Battlefield series since their first FPS where the controls are simple and straightforward so I guess I'm spoiled. Maybe the devs could consider (if possible) cutting down on the amount of keys and combinations needed to play. It especially makes it difficult in MP. With that said, I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of the texture maps and assets but I haven't yet had any performance issues running it on high.

Reactions: Cyper
I played RO years ago when it first came out. I just couldn't get the hang of the controls then and that's why I stopped playing. I was hoping this release would be different but it seems there are just as many. Semicolon for this... shift control for that...mouse wheel for this...etc. I've been playing the EA Battlefield series since their first FPS where the controls are simple and straightforward so I guess I'm spoiled. Maybe the devs could consider (if possible) cutting down on the amount of keys and combinations needed to play. It especially makes it difficult in MP. With that said, I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of the texture maps and assets but I haven't yet had any performance issues running it on high.

Uhh ever played a flight sim? This is how PC games should be...lots of controls and buttons. Games with less are usually designed for a console.

Upvote 0
You want fewer buttons? don't use some of the functions. Because the only way to have fewer buttons is to sacrifice functionality, at least until technology that can interpret your thoughts goes to the consumer level in the gaming industry. That's probably a little ways off, maybe not so far as I'd think. But for this game, in a way it's completely your choice since keybindings are customizable. Just unbind all the functions you feel are unnecessary and play the game with the kind of basic controls you have in BF (eyeroll). On the other hand if you feel they are all necessary, then I'm sorry to say, you need buttons for them, there's little getting around that. If you didn't expect this level of functionality, I'm sorry to say you're in the wrong franchise and should've known better since you quit RO1 for the same reason. I hope that isn't rude.

I personally like all my functions. I like being able to lean. I like being able to sprint. I like being able to crouch. I like being able to run while crouching. I like being able to go prone. I like being able to cover. I like being able to switch fire modes. I like being able to underhand toss grenades. I like being able to do all the things they've allowed us to do in this game. And given all this functionality, the keybinding strategy is actually pretty streamlined. I've only had to change 3 bindings to make it easier for me to deftly access all the functions in the game (changed the map to f1 and the squad and team voip channels push to talk to extra mouse buttons). That's a rare low number of key rebindings for me. I'm usually having to reorganize a lot of keys to be able to play a game intuitively. It may even be, as mentioned, too streamlined for some people, but for me I'm not as annoyed by the overlapping bindings as I thought I'd be.

P.S. it also helps to post in the appropriate forum. This is the Ostfront forum. You're complaining about "this release" so you must be talking about HOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
I can only help but think this just might be trolling.

If you are serious then just do yourself a favour. Unbind your lean keys, your prone key, your use key, and your cover key, and you are basically at a BF level of control. Personally I really like the freedom to actually change stance, and I wish this game did not force me to use its horrid multi binds.

( well not 100% true, I do like the multi bind to check magazine or reload, that one works most of the time, the cover multi bind makes me want to pull my hair out )

Upvote 0