• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What do you think a German / Russian Veteran soldier should look like?

Sovied veterans could wear few watches. I heard from lots of sources they enjoyed "confiscating" them during raid on Berlin. There is popular rumor behind famous photo of soldier setting up USSR flag on Reichstach - he had watches on both hands and soviet censors decided to erase them :)

I heard that story too, maybe there is some truth behind it:rolleyes:

Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
That body armor looks very uncomfortable to wear, and I'm wondering what good it would've done in street fighting where the most common range is 50 meters or less - at which range a 9x19mm Parabellum will most likely punch through it. Also against their own PPSH it would be even worse, as the 7.62x25mm Tokarev round actually possessed a slightly better penetration capability than the 9x19mm.

Also I should add that by 1942 onwards the Germans were issuing 9x19mm S.m.E. ammunition on a large scale, which seated a 9mm bullet with a mild steel core, instead of the std. lead core, for increased penetration performance. Now with this ammunition an MP40 would rip through body armour like the above at pretty much any practical range, I don't even think 200 m would've been a safe range.

LOL... ok captain serious pants. Take a deep breath.

Its designed to stop shrapnel not bullets. Just like German helmets and flak jackets in Vietnam.

Besides we don't want a class running around invulnerable to bullets that would be too imbalanced.

Upvote 0
Besides changes showing the player being more hardened, such as aged uniforms & equipment, etc..... the characters face should have more age lines, dirt, facial hair and the sort.

But even better would be a system in the settings/controls that allows you to upload a front-on photo of your own face, note where the mouth, nose and eyes are in the photo and it makes a modified-aged facial texture based on your own features.....

.... Modified-Aged in that if your 14 years old or 23, whatever, it will make a similar facial texture similar to your own, but looking like you're in your late 30's to mid 40's.

But I don't know how easy it'd be to impliment such a system.

Upvote 0
Most of the German lads on the frontlines weren't in their mid-40's :)

Also the Reichstag watch business is no rumor, here is the original print. In the edited version more smoke is added and the watch on the soldiers right wrist is gone.

Hell i'd probably be looting too if i was being shot at everyday.
reichstagflag.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most of the German lads on the frontlines weren't in their mid-40's :)

Also the Reichstag watch business is no rumor, here is the original print. In the edited version more smoke is added and the watch on the soldiers right wrist is gone.

Hell i'd probably be looting too if i was being shot at everyday.
reichstagflag.jpg

Maybe they were obsessive about the time? :D

Upvote 0
There isn't enough distance between the head and helmet to cause any damage. The person isn't wearing a parachute strapped to his head.

If you're close enough for pressure from an explosion to snap your neck, you're close enough to get riddled with shrapnel. You die or are incapacitated either way.

No one actually unhinges their helmet strap for "safety reasons".

agreed that the pressure thing is pretty ridiculous. But if that actually was believed incorrectly back then, that could have been the reason some guys didn't wear straps.
Also, I've heard but can't confirm that (at least US) soldiers didn't wear chinstraps for fear of being sneaked up on- one can pull back the visor of a strapped helmet from behind, exposing the neck to a knife attack. an unstrapped helmet would just be pulled off

Upvote 0
LOL... ok captain serious pants. Take a deep breath.

Its designed to stop shrapnel not bullets. Just like German helmets and flak jackets in Vietnam.

Besides we don't want a class running around invulnerable to bullets that would be too imbalanced.

twopiecearmour1_350.jpg

Large shrapnel hole.

It's only proven use was against 9mm rounds at very long distances and protection from blasts and debris in urban combat. It was meant to be a bullet-proof vest, and did a poor job doing so.

I don't mean to be rude, but starting arguments based on an assumption isn't helpful to the discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lets be honest though, a glancing hit could conceivably be deflected by one of those plates, or a helmet for that matter. Not all impacts are at 90 degrees to the target. Additionally a bit of steel that lost some energy going through the plate might well fail to go through your rib, or skull in the case of a helmet. Just throwing that out there.

Upvote 0
agreed that the pressure thing is pretty ridiculous. But if that actually was believed incorrectly back then, that could have been the reason some guys didn't wear straps.
Also, I've heard but can't confirm that (at least US) soldiers didn't wear chinstraps for fear of being sneaked up on- one can pull back the visor of a strapped helmet from behind, exposing the neck to a knife attack. an unstrapped helmet would just be pulled off

Well, after some thinking (yep. can do that) i must agree. That's pretty stupid idea. Still, what you've written about US troops seems pretty reasonable.

Upvote 0
They didn't primarily put bread in the breadbag, you know. :p

the Breadbag is incredible practical to have stuff in.
A screwdriver, sewing stuff, some chocolate, a drinking cup, ebits burner, can opener and lots of other neat little things =)

What I dont understand is, why did the Germans have metal studs on their boots and a rattly gas-cannister which basically prevented any form of silent movement what so ever. Serious disadvantage to the average landser if you ask me, the later war shoe-variant with rubber soles much more preferable if you ask me.

Sturm

Speaking of experience.. It is impossible to move quietly in the german kit :3 Toss in a box of MG ammo and you are sounding like Stomp playing. (90s band making music with garbage lids) bootstuds slip on hard surfaces (running on asphalt and cobblestone is just.. suicide, you just slide around) gasmaskcan and water can bang together.. If they should make RO realistic the sound of rushing germans should be "rattlerattlerattlerattle".

Upvote 0
The most critical factor in the Germans keeping the jackboot with it's nails was because of a critical lack of rubber in Germany. All of the rubber the Germans had went towards things like wheels etc. They simply couldn't afford to change the boots out to have a more modern heel.

Also remember that the German jackboot was an 1800's footwear, quite an old design, but was retained because it was very durable, didn't utilize rubber and of course iconic to the image of a German soldier.

Upvote 0
The most critical factor in the Germans keeping the jackboot with it's nails was because of a critical lack of rubber in Germany. All of the rubber the Germans had went towards things like wheels etc. They simply couldn't afford to change the boots out to have a more modern heel.

It's not just lack of rubber, it's increases potential lifespan of a shoe\boot and being cheaper in some ways when you can just replace hobnails and heel several times before you need to replace the actual sole\get a new boot. Try doing the same with a rubber shoe. Ask a local cobbler if you want even more insight about it.

(Obviously rubber is a better base for a sole but we'll ignore that stuff for now.)

For the record, there are hobnails in the low boots too. They're incredibly comfortable (honestly I hike in them on occasion), but they're just as loud as the jackboots.

Not if you're planning to keep them on your feet during cold temperatures for extended period of times or having to wear the extended period of time while engaging in movement you would expect in a firefight. Then it becomes obvious how they tend to be rough for heels and kneels while making sure your feet are potentially more cold or "worn out" unless you resort to footrag-sock\doublerag\doublesock combination, which is only practical during winter. There's a reason soldiers pried them off on their own at times despite technically damaging army property.

Upvote 0
Good information on the German boots guys, cheers.

Kind of makes me wonder, if it real life, gamers that are obsessed with playing as the Germans, whether they would indeed want to be a German knowing they literally can't move without making too much noise, and are actually restricted in movement to surfaces so that you won't fall over whilst running. Thinking about it, I woulod take the British Battledress and trimmings anyday over the German kit.

Sturm

Upvote 0
Speaking of experience.. It is ipossible to move quietly in the german kit :3 Toss in a box of MG ammo and you are sounding like Stomp playing. (90s band making music with garbage lids) bootstuds slip on hard surfaces (running on asphalt and cobblestone is just.. suicide, you just slide around) gasmaskcan and water can bang together.. If they should make RO realistic the sound of rushing germans should be "rattlerattlerattlerattle".

Speaking of experience it is perfectly possible. You have to know how to attach fieldgear together. One can write, maybe not book, but article about ways of doing it. I'd say, knowing the ways of attaching fieldgear, so it would not make any noise, was a must in Heer and WSS. In my reenactment group it's a must.
Another thing is, when you go for a patrol or some kind of mission done by squads in size of Trupp or Gruppe you are equipped in "combat mode" - no need to take canteen, Zeltbahn, sometimes you don't need a shovel or gas mask can. Of course it's hard to not make rattle when you take your part in full assault or strategic advance and you have to carry all your personal fieldgear, MG ammo boxes and belts, spare barrels, granades, Panzerfausts, Schiessbechers with grenades, mines etc. etc. But In that case you dont have to keep such low profile.

Upvote 0