• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Future of Free-Aim and the Semi Automatic Hipshot

The backend of the free-aim system was rewritten completely from the mod. It handles quite a bit differently. The free-aim area is easily 2x as big as it was before. Free-aim speeds have been tweaked per weapon type, so smaller weapons can move around the free-aim area fairly quickly, and larger weapons move around much slower. Its a bit more difficult to fire from the hip, but probably not enough to appease the poeple that beleive in the mythical "20 meter free-aim 1 bullet headshot from the hip with an MP40" stuff :) As mentioned above the whole system works differently, but I am sure over time skilled players will learn to hipshoot well again, and I have no problem with that.

Upvote 0
Ramm, Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Game looks awesome...I'm excited to play and I've been spreading the word.

Congratz to the team...its come a long way.

Also, just to clarify....when i mean hipshooting....I don't me with an automatic like the mp40 or the ppsh41. I mean with a bolt action rifle and a Semi-Automatic rifle. Real men hip with Rifles.

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
The backend of the free-aim system was rewritten completely from the mod. It handles quite a bit differently. The free-aim area is easily 2x as big as it was before. Free-aim speeds have been tweaked per weapon type, so smaller weapons can move around the free-aim area fairly quickly, and larger weapons move around much slower. Its a bit more difficult to fire from the hip, but probably not enough to appease the poeple that beleive in the mythical "20 meter free-aim 1 bullet headshot from the hip with an MP40" stuff :) As mentioned above the whole system works differently, but I am sure over time skilled players will learn to hipshoot well again, and I have no problem with that.
Holy ****, that is awesome :D. I would like to know if the slower turning is just basically a sensitivity reduction, or actually coded to work against high sensitivity.

Upvote 0
Post Free-aim it was easier then ****. Infact it was almost a joke.

Pre Free-aim it became harder to do, but with the ppsh41 and the mp40, you don't need to be pinpoint accurate just in the general area of.

Hopefully, this will be fun and enjoying to learn and employ. I can't wait. I'm gitty like a school girl.

I personally detest the Momentum system in the MOD. Sure momentum existed in real life, but as a real life actor i can feel its effect on me and I know how to compensate for it. In the game, its just something that suprises you. There need to be a meter or something that lets you know how much energy you have built up in a certain direction.

Upvote 0
-Semperfi-Snowden said:
I personally detest the Momentum system in the MOD. Sure momentum existed in real life, but as a real life actor i can feel its effect on me and I know how to compensate for it. In the game, its just something that suprises you. There need to be a meter or something that lets you know how much energy you have built up in a certain direction.

Just like real life, you compensate for momentum. You stop pressing the forward key before you want to stop. Simple as that. I've adjusted, and I'm sure that the old pre-momentum motion would feel "fake" to me.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Just like real life, you compensate for momentum. You stop pressing the forward key before you want to stop. Simple as that. I've adjusted, and I'm sure that the old pre-momentum motion would feel "fake" to me.

Yes, but in real life...I know exactly how to compensate everytime moving in any direction expecially backward. This isn't the case in RO. Its a realistic feature, but badly transported to the video world. Much like Wind Direction and precipitation effects on bullet trajectory and weapon shot out of hand.

Upvote 0
-Semperfi-Snowden said:
Yes, but in real life...I know exactly how to compensate everytime moving in any direction expecially backward.
This isn't the case in RO.
play more and it becomes second nature pretty quickly just like it dus IRL.

i've played a mod that had a far harsher momentum system then RO and i could handle it quite eazaly after i got use to it.
at the moment i dont even notice RO's momentum system at all really.

the momentum system btw is not there for you, the mover, but for the guy aiming at you.
its there so you cant do a sigzag without suffering from momentum giving the guy aiming at you time to adjust his aim accordingly just like he would do IRL.

(btw in light of that... will we get "changing direction" animations? a guy chancing from a left straff into a right straff is pretty obvious IRL but in the mod its not... at all. or a stopping animation where the guy leans back to stop a fast run/sprint
would be great but probably wishfull thinking.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0