• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Future War Mod

Exact name is still unknown. We actually know very little so far, other than our general concept.

The story goes that sometime in the future (think about 100-200 years from now), the world is a very different place. Economic ruin plagues many nations on earth, while others have managed to advance their technology to the point of being able to sustain themselves at the least in a semi-prosperous state.

Here's where it all hits the fan - the future world is a world largely controlled by human intelligence, but artificial intelligence is invented and still very young when a powerful corporation/nation secretly creates an AI and weapons program that is self-sustaining and lose control of it to a very anti-human AI.

Yeah, I know it sounds generic. But we've still got a long way to go on the story.

So the war begins, and the AI manages to stage attacks from multiple manufacturing facilities around the globe. Which wouldn't be a problem for the highly advanced militaries of the future, except that the AI itself is a bit more advanced than anything they control (could even be alien in nature) AI-wise. And the production facilities it has can create veritable armies. So the objective of the war is primarily to destroy the AI's production facilities and actual "core" before the AI finds a way to destroy humanity, one way or another through its supreme intellect.

The first map we would be working on would include 64 players against AI-controlled enemies. Weapons, primarily projectile based but with some unique weapons as well, will be used by humans (though cybernetics may be somewhat possible for certain classes). The AI will have various unique forms of enemies for you to fight, ranging from walkers to cyborgs to tanks to anything you can imagine it might have. The players will have vehicles, and the first map and combined mode we make will have multiple objectives you can capture to reduce the AIs ability to reinforce from within the map (manufacturing facility destruction mainly, capturing of critical locations might also help).

The final objective would be to destroy the AI core. And this won't be easy, as the team would be limited to only a certain number of reinforcements (likely with a team-wide ticket system), and the AI would have an increasingly high number of units pouring in to defend as time passed, the number of which would not be changed based on captured objectives (those only affects things that are created from inside the actual playable area).

Oh, and the map itself would be a section of a future city.

Now, I already have two members on a team other than myself who have some experience in scripting and in level design. But we are in need of others that might want to help as well, and our design is still preliminary in nature...thus, the story and such can change. The main idea is that its set in the future, will utilize an injury system similar to the one Red Orchestra 2 itself will be using, and will have large objective-based combat against AI controlled enemies.

If anybody would be interested in joining the team, just send me a PM. Or if you just want to discuss the idea behind this. Concept art will be made once we have come up with some more concrete designs for weapons and vehicles, as well as AI enemies. And keep in mind that we would only be releasing one map and mode to start, to keep the work to a minimum (granted, the map will be somewhat huge and the AI coding will take a lot of work, and we'll also need custom models for a LOT of stuff).

And I'm aware that a lot of mods die off if they don't have anything concrete to show. I assure you this will not happen, and I am dedicated to making this a reality. We just need a good team (which I've started assembling), and a good idea, then a lot of hard work to make the idea into reality.

Aye, I'm the current mapper. Of course, we'll be calling in some more mappers but really, we're looking to create the core features at the moment. Placeholders and the like, then we're probably gonna be calling in more guys for heavier content creation towards the mods first release. We're in need of modellers, animators, 2D artists and programmers at the moment.

Upvote 0
Some advice, if I may. Drop your intended player count right back. 64 players is pretty rough on servers in Unreal, if you start throwing in AI, especially the number required to keep things challenging for 64 human players, you're going to find that servers just can't keep up and nor will many client PC's I suspect. From memory, even Killing Floor only has a maximum of 32 specimens spawned at any one time and that's in maps and servers designed for just 6 players. You may want to think about 16 players as a starting point and then raise/lower it based on real world performance if you manage to get a working build going.

Upvote 0
Some advice, if I may. Drop your intended player count right back. 64 players is pretty rough on servers in Unreal, if you start throwing in AI, especially the number required to keep things challenging for 64 human players, you're going to find that servers just can't keep up and nor will many client PC's I suspect. From memory, even Killing Floor only has a maximum of 32 specimens spawned at any one time and that's in maps and servers designed for just 6 players. You may want to think about 16 players as a starting point and then raise/lower it based on real world performance if you manage to get a working build going.

not only that, if you only get 100 ppl interested in regularly playing, spread over 2 or 3 servers your 64 player mod is going to look pretty empty.
A mod like 'the hidden' say can survive with just 40 odd ppl playing (i dont know the exact figures), because it's geared up for around half a dozen in a game.

Upvote 0
That is an issue that I thought we might run into. However, 64 was simply our base. We still are in planning stages largely, and 32 players might be a better number (for example).

Yes, filling up the server will still be an issue, but this mode is meant to be epic. If its too ambitious, we may decide to work on a different, smaller player-count mode instead first, but we still need to discuss these things and get the rest of our team together.

Thanks for your advice.

Upvote 0
That is an issue that I thought we might run into. However, 64 was simply our base. We still are in planning stages largely, and 32 players might be a better number (for example).

Yes, filling up the server will still be an issue, but this mode is meant to be epic. If its too ambitious, we may decide to work on a different, smaller player-count mode instead first, but we still need to discuss these things and get the rest of our team together.

Thanks for your advice.

This ^

It's best to start thinking big, but as long as we have our assets together when we want to aim "big" we can always make it a little smaller if needed. We're mainly focused on the creation of game assets at the moment but things like this are subject to change. Who knows, we may get our 64 players vs AI goal, and that may be reduced to 4 players vs AI in a totally different gametype for what we had planned. (It'd be interesting to expirement with what we can do with RO's features, just look at the cover system!)

Upvote 0