• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Gamer never before seen footage tomorrow..Plus a question about game.

Merkin666

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
[url]http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/08/PAXposterFINAL21.jpg[/URL]

I hope they have a video up online of this.

Also I have a weird question about the game. I was just playingRO1 for the first time in a year or so and I was wondering why its one of the only FPS games I have played where when you turn your body your gun turns first.

It doesn't bother me but I couldn't think of any reason why they did this, its kind of awkward when your not used to it. The only thing I can think of is they did this to prevent people front "shooting from the hip" as they call it in other FPS games where you don't look down the scope and just fire at the center of the screen instead. RO of course has no crosshair on screen so is this just another way besides no crosshairs to force people to aim realistically?.... which slows the pace of firefights to a realistic level because everyone actually has to raise the gun and aim first..Kind of a ingenious little design technique if its intentional I was thinking.

Reactions: Makino and Centory
Its called "free aim" and it was in RO1 too, you can lower the amount it does it. The reason for it is so your gun isn't latched to your eye balls (camera)

No one walks around looking at one point and having their rifle glued in that direction. If you see an enemy your going to turn your rifle and shoot him. Its a more organic system.

Reactions: Pandev
Upvote 0
Its called "free aim" and it was in RO1 too, you can lower the amount it does it. The reason for it is so your gun isn't latched to your eye balls (camera)

No one walks around looking at one point and having their rifle glued in that direction. If you see an enemy your going to turn your rifle and shoot him. Its a more organic system.

yes you can put it that way too.... lol

Upvote 0
I love how quickly things come up when you leave yourself out of the loop. I thought PAX Prime was still a few days away...

Well, I'm quite certain the only things I know I'm interested in coming out of PAX is RO2 as well as Smite, the interview I saw from Gamescom caught my interest, and they said they'll be revealing gameplay footage at PAX, so I'll be interested to see that as well as even more (hopefully not recorded with a camera) RO2 videos coming out while we wait for the DDE beta...

EDIT: The only other game I can remember (I'm pretty sure ARMA II has it is some form as well) that has any kind of free aim was Resistance and Liberation, and I absolutely loved the free-aim feature in it. There was just something about being able to aim and move your rifle around the screen without the camera moving right away that felt, well, right...

After playing a lot of RnL, I went back to ROOST for a bit. I realized that it was quite disorienting for me to aim in Ostfront, as your camera locks to the center of the screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cause it's way more natural andrealistic movement. People here, complaining about everything, prayed to remove that feature cause they cant aim in the middle of the screen.

But I' ll give you a precious tip anyway: " a skilled rifleman can shoot unsighted with that system anyway without any difficulty ;) "

Upvote 0
Cause it's way more natural andrealistic movement. People here, complaining about everything, prayed to remove that feature cause they cant aim in the middle of the screen.

But I' ll give you a precious tip anyway: " a skilled rifleman can shoot unsighted with that system anyway without any difficulty ;) "

i think you have a total misconception of how "those people" played this game competievly for the last 6 years. Rifles had a edge over smgs due to the "deadcenterhipshotexploit" ( yeah right we argued that to DEATH allready ) and TWI confirmed it as a bug...yet we had to adopt to that situation and some peeps got really good at beign hipshoot monkeys...heck sometimes you had the feel that their whole playstyle evolved around that.

Next thing was the "popup bug" wich got resolved due to some community patch applied to the servers used for competitive play. ( and prevented mgs from aiming DOWN when deployed on windows)

Iam by no way saying that people should be blamed for useing the engine to their advantage.Heck ..i had moments hwere hipshooting was just the right thing to do...but no..in RO:HOES...we get another beast to conquer...something diffrent to learn..wich is great...:IS2: there is way more options now...way more ways to be mean to each other and way more tactical approaches on things...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In game I can shoot from the hip and hit within a 2'x2' square from 20' away with a rifle. It takes getting used to, but once you learn how to use free-aim to your advantage, it definitely helps with the immersion. When you have a chance encounter with an enemy and you're 10 feet away from one another, it's exciting when you and your enemy are scrambling around trying desperately to land a shot.

Upvote 0
PAXposterFINAL21.jpg

"The cure for Call Of Duty"
Hahaha :D

Reactions: NoxNoctum
Upvote 0
free aim prevent kidnoobs coming directly from cod to put a point in the middle with some pencil and shoot people from great distances without particular difficulty to aim

i think you have a total misconception of how "those people" played this game competievly for the last 6 years. Rifles had a edge over smgs due to the "deadcenterhipshotexploit" ( yeah right we argued that to DEATH allready ) and TWI confirmed it as a bug...yet we had to adopt to that situation and some peeps got really good at beign hipshoot monkeys...heck sometimes you had the feel that their whole playstyle evolved around that.

Next thing was the "popup bug" wich got resolved due to some community patch applied to the servers used for competitive play. ( and prevented mgs from aiming DOWN when deployed on windows)

Iam by no way saying that people should be blamed for useing the engine to their advantage.Heck ..i had moments hwere hipshooting was just the right thing to do...but no..in RO:HOES...we get another beast to conquer...something diffrent to learn..wich is great...:IS2: there is way more options now...way more ways to be mean to each other and way more tactical approaches on things...

I've been active in competitive scene

Last edited:
Upvote 0
free aim prevent kidnoobs coming directly from cod to put a point in the middle with some pencil and shoot people from great distances without particular difficulty to aim

as i said..you dont seem to know the exploits that came with RO: OST ...it was easy to deadcenter shots because all you had/have to do is was fast taping the sprint button and your gun was dead center...:rolleyes: You could "fast reload..meaning you can skip the reload animation on sniper rifels ( and others imo ) to shoot faster..stuff like that...thats all things people find out when the game is out and played alot for 6 years..thats NORMAL...i dont say its fine but thats how it is.

It is ofc beatable ..we had to adopt...and as i said..i hope things like that lay past us...( eventho with the gained popularity there might be another bees nest in form of more elaborated cheats rather than engine exploits )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
as i said..you dont seem to know the exploits that came with RO: OST ...it was easy to deadcenter shots because all you had/have to do is was fast taping the sprint button and your gun was dead center...:rolleyes:

It is ofc beatable ..we had to adopt...and as i said..i hope things like that lay past us...( eventho with the gained popularity there might be another bees nest in form of more elaborated cheats rather than engine exploits )

you are talking about OST once again, i was talking about FREE AIM in general...

Upvote 0
Warishell, I didnt know you can lower the amount of free aim thats cool.

But I still wonder if this was put in place to make it harder for people to aim at the middle of the screen from the hip...or just to make it look more real. Im thinking about this from a design standpoint, a seemingly small thing like this has a big impact on how people play the game. It changes the whole non scoped aiming system people are used to..just point at the middle of the screen and shoot.

Upvote 0