• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic "tactical shooter" on the horizon : Ground Branch

Arkham Asylum and ME2 both have largely traditional gameplay. One is a beat em up with stealth mechanics and the other is a streamlined action rpg. Nothing crazy there. ARMA2 on the other hand is a good example with a history that seems to parallel Ground Branch as both devs came from old realism classics. Does anyone know how BIS originally got funding for ARMA whereas Blackfoot is sorta dead in the water?

The original Flashpoint was in a time where innovation and more complex games where popular. Ever since 2007-2008, games have been getting dumber IMO. I think this is the reason.

Still you'd think that John who formerly worked on Rainbow 6 and whatnot would have helped him get some funding... I remember reading that they tried to work out deals with a few big publishers. None where interested in funding/publishing such a game.

Two examples -> Arkham Asylum & Mass Effect 2. But yeah both of them probably had a HUGE budget, so it doesn't count.

I have not played the other game, but ME2 looks pretty comparable to the few editor screen shots for Ground Branch...

Though it is hard to compare in the first place. ME2's graphics don't look that realistic due to the unrealistic setting, lighting, environments and whatnot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the past few years have proven that the old formula great graphics = great success doesn't work (anymore). Compare the disappointing UT3 to e.g. Portal or L4D.

As long as you don't make the game butt-ugly OR graphics is your main selling point, you can't do that much wrong imo. I would've easily looked past OFP2's sub-par visuals if the game had been good.

Upvote 0
I think the past few years have proven that the old formula great graphics = great success doesn't work (anymore). Compare the disappointing UT3 to e.g. Portal or L4D.

Both Portal and L4D have good graphics. Most of the best selling games also sport great graphics. Great graphics don't necessarily mean great success but they almost definitely mean not a complete failure. And more than that, add great graphics plus proven gameplay (even if generic) and you have a hit. It's just that great gameplay also seems to be recognized more these days with cheaper indie games getting proper coverage.

Upvote 0
Gentlemen, let the fapping commence!

GB4.jpg

BFS_WarehouseGuys01.jpg

And apparently there is more to come on april the 16th! :cool:

Upvote 0
Well, it IS a step forward in any case. If the project is completed; the game gets released and sells reasonably - it could mean that more games will follow.

At least Sonedecker did promise us Sky Gods even though it has been postponed in to oblivion. :(

It is good to know that Tripwire Interactive isn't the only tactical shooter developer in an arcade style dominated world.

Upvote 0
Sky Gods isnt postponed, it has been cancelled.
It turned out it wouldn't work out, so they simply continued on with development of Ground Branch.

I don't know what is coming on the 16th, but if this post: [url]http://www.blackfootstudios.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5665[/URL] is any indication, I think we might be in for a treat.
No playable stuff we've been told, but who knows what they'll have to show and/or announce? :)

Upvote 0
A very Conservative post count Mr Decker.

Not sure if that is supposed to be negative towards me or just an observation, but yeah, its Sonedecker. :)

I don't post much on any boards these days, outside the BlackFoot one to be honest. But, when a member of ours mentions posts in other forums I like to monitor them to make sure correct information is being discussed. So here I thought I'd pop in and say 'thanks' to a friend.

Upvote 0