• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Question For Mappers.

THEDDLE

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
I was just thinking. Hey the new wave is coming up soon. That should be fun to enter in. I was thinking of all the mappers that would enter their piece of art. The next thing that came to my mind was I wonder how many will stop mapping after their may be no benefit in it for them any more. Should be interesting. I have started doing this for the fun not the contest. So I will be around. I bet you we loose some though.

I thought I would start another thread anyways. Forums are kinda dead today. I like being able to read something between my beta builds. LOL.

my builds can take quite some time especially if its a path rebuild (about 15mins) so i play plants vs zombies. its easy to play and theres no slowdown while KFed is busy so i find it very handy. Although it is worring when steam says that you've spent 6 hours on it you know how long you've been waiting just on rebuilding :eek:

As for the mapping i'll still be here but i'll have to cut my hours dedicated to it in half because i'm getting desperate for a job and really need the money.

Yeah i'm sure that there's a few here just for the competition so i have no doubt they will disappear until the next event.

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

True true. I read the forums and the updates on technology. Of course I have had a bottle of whiskey next to me for a few days and decided to take a few hits. LOL. So I am feeling pretty good. About ready for bed. However I always say just one more build. LOL. Trying to make a decent lighter version of Abandoned Base. Which has hardly had any comments on. I have redone the dark one already. May tweak some more. Plus I have another map with basic structures already made for my next map. Anyways I am rambeling. Blah Blah Blah. LOL. My next map may be mostly unique to me however I will still a couple of mapping buddies stuff to help out. Since the map is based off a COD 4 map. I figured why not. Its not original anyways. LOL

SCREEN BLURY. WHISKEY OR TIRED HUMMMMMM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh yes i know that feel, just one more rebuild, i'll just move that light over, oh i know i'll add a door here and see how the zombies react.

mmm bed time / food time etc, still not done, just tweak this a little more and then sleep - ahhh but i won't be able to sleep without at least TRYING it out.

2hours later. that was awesome but i need to change this.

The next day:

:(:(:(:(:( dead :(:(:(:(:(

Upvote 0
Well THEDDLE for myself I feel im only just getting started :D and I am still quite excited about what there gonna through at us next.

The new BETA setup proves to me that there is still more planned for KF and with how things have gone both with the devs and community content looks like my disc space is just gonna keep on filling.

So new game after comp? na just gonna get a spare harddrive :p

Filthy.

Upvote 0
I definately agree to that.

mm today i fancy fighting zombies on a beach - i'll go make that then. or i've never fought zombies in a fish tank before. i'll go make that.

It's great to play you're own custom map but theres definately something in the whole making of it process.

PS, can someone make really awesome bots so i can play my crappy looking maps with someone :p.

The HumanAI would be great if it just had a sit/follow command. oh and a hand over your money button so i can buy them all new guns

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

Well THEDDLE for myself I feel im only just getting started :D and I am still quite excited about what there gonna through at us next.

The new BETA setup proves to me that there is still more planned for KF and with how things have gone both with the devs and community content looks like my disc space is just gonna keep on filling.

So new game after comp? na just gonna get a spare harddrive :p

Filthy.

Hope your right. Of course I would feel positive if I just won all that mulla and prizes.

I think ill enter, just to see what happens. Theres no way i will win anything, wave one maps were 100x better than mine so im guessing wave 2 they will be 300x better.

I know mine will be that much better then Silo or even more. LOL.

AVP. I have an idea for a fun one. I just need to learn how to do skin textures to redo the trader herself. ;) Until I get it I will work on my own knowledge.

Upvote 0
i have a feeling most will just fade away ;-) mostly the project arretha guys, waterworks guy; the type that just shows up during the competition, wins big then goes off to do other things. then you have the weekenders, who cant really map but see the competition as a way to get easy money, then last minute they realize they have no chance in hell and just fade into obscurity.

id be pretty damn surprised if project arretha guys stay, and waterworks guy stays (maybe they will if they read this XD, just to prove me wrong XD)... so far this post has been really negative but i cheer for guys like arramus, justfilth, kyben, fel, and shinobi. they are diamonds in the rough.

Upvote 0
yea im staying, in fact i already have a new map in progress, Its gonna be a Perkable Mission map, dex has played it, so has eddle. so far, its pretty good, fun and hard. lol sometimes we die on wave 1

I have a feeling too that mappers are gonna leave, because their only desire to map is for money, not for fun. Isn't that why we map guys? for fun?

Upvote 0
I'd still be mapping right now, even after my KF-Monastery went kerplooie, if I weren't in school. Trying to graduate and I have so much crap to do, I can't really pour myself into epic 8 hour map-making like I did before. I want to get around to making a small defense style map....but that will have to wait until I have the time and piece of mind to work on it.

Upvote 0
I plan to do 1 more after the competition. Since most maps won't win, I kinda feel sorry for anyone who created maps just in the hope of winning the competition. You can probably expect to see a decline in the real big effort maps, but most people who enjoy mapping will still do it I wager.

ill still do it, i want to get better and better.

Upvote 0
I think there are a core group of mappers here, that are gaining experience and learning as they are going. Some will leave but more will come and try their hand at it.

I have been so busy with my map for Mare Nostrum, that I havent been too active on my Killing Floor ones for a wee while. The main thing is though, that with every map I learn a little more, which means that the next time I do something it is easier and quicker to get a better result.

Upvote 0
i have a feeling most will just fade away ;-) mostly the project arretha guys, waterworks guy; the type that just shows up during the competition, wins big then goes off to do other things. then you have the weekenders, who cant really map but see the competition as a way to get easy money, then last minute they realize they have no chance in hell and just fade into obscurity.

id be pretty damn surprised if project arretha guys stay, and waterworks guy stays (maybe they will if they read this XD, just to prove me wrong XD)... so far this post has been really negative but i cheer for guys like arramus, justfilth, kyben, fel, and shinobi. they are diamonds in the rough.

And ?
The goal for Tripwire with this contest is to have a max of map. I think that TW is the big winner in this story.
And there were 47 mappers for this first wave, so don't focus just on "the waterworks guy" pls. ;)
I think that everybody make a map for fun. But that's obvious that a lot of this 47 people had a little hope to win something by making something fun ... otherwise why TW make a contest with prize ?
Prices are components of the equation. That's it.

Upvote 0