• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Japanesse army??

Deathsai said:
I hate trying to understand Japanese small arms weapons. Couldn't they give them names or something? Ariskas and Nambus are the only two I know...after that, it is all "Type this, type that."

Yes, the Japanese system is a bit confusing. They didn't use it for small arms only, but for almost every kind of military equipment, ranging from guns and vehicles to radars, aircraft, even ships. I'll try to explain their system, hope it helps:

The system is based on the last two digits of the year the given weapon / equipment type was commissioned for service. However, traditional Japanese calendar is different from ours - it counts years like the ours does, but it's "biased". Japanese year 2600 is equal to our 1940. Therefore, "Type 100" means that the submachinegun was approved for service in 1940. Another weapon approved in 1939 would be "Type 99". If approved in 1941, it would be "Type 1"

There is a difference between Japanese Army and Japanese Navy - a Navy weapon commissioned in 1940 would be "Type 0" instead of 100. This is how the famous Japanese "Zero" fighter was born.

Upvote 0
HSCN-II-gd1944 said:
But actually, the japs didn't have many new weapons to add. They have no SMG or AT weapons, and only have 2 kinds of tanks( Type 94 & Type 97). Maybe you can add 1 or 2 types of MGs and their type38 rifle.

yea thats what i was thinking of about their guns and tanks.many used bolt-action rifles and their tanks weren't that good and advanced. so overall i give putting the japanese army into the game a thumbs down

Upvote 0
Mikhail Kalashnikov said:
say, what did the chinese use against the japs and against each other? mostly captured japanese guns probably, me thinks.
China can make its own weapons since early in the 20th century, we have severial type of rifles modelled on the German rifles from Mauser M1888 to M1898, even to K98K, and these were the main weapons the Chinese army use in the WWII against the japs.

And during the civil wars before the japanese invasion of our country, we also bought many weapons from Germans, Russians, Japs, and some other Euro countries. We have several German weapon equipped divisions with German rifles and granades and even their famous Flak18 AA guns and some Sd.Kfz222s. Also, we have some troops equipped by the Mosin-Nagants. The MGs mostly Bren & ZB26.

Of course, the japanese guns captured made an important part of weapon supply, especially for the Chinese Red Army lead by the Communist party, for they didn't have any industry at that moment. The industies were in the hands of nationalists. And for that reason, the japs Type 38 rifle and its bayonet became famous among Chinese people, you can ask anyone in China, he will know it. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mikhail Kalashnikov said:
say, what did the chinese use against the japs and against each other? mostly captured japanese guns probably, me thinks.

I can show you some photos.

Chinese german weapon equipped divisions,this is the elite:

360818473.jpg

3522115931058223.jpg

3593613015610811.jpg

7785213202579760.jpg

3642715116493611.jpg

6390114144677807.jpg

2107417029702909.jpg

2707711572745984.jpg

Upvote 0
It would hardly for a fun balanced game. Russians with millions of ppsh's, some of the best tanks around, especially in the 1945 attack. Japans army was equiped for the most part with weapons and tanks on par with ww1! Their pistols as noted above were so poor officers often prefered a katana over them. Their machineguns were also rather well.. lacklustre. And they didn't exactly use many smgs, and they werent exactly good ones either. And then comes the worse.. the tanks. The most numerous Japanese tank was the ha-go, a light tank. It was underpowered, it was woefully undergunned. It had gaps in the armour that small arms could shoot through and the turret could be jammed with a knife. Concerning armour it had 12-6mm of armour... that's the same amount of armour as the British Mk1 tank had.... the first ever operational tank (first used in 1916).

Now... who exactly wants to play Japan? :p

Upvote 0
LordKhaine said:
Now... who exactly wants to play Japan? :p

.....me? I think it would be interesting to at least have a go. The Japanese have a rather eclectic choice of weapons:

Arisaka Type 38, Type 38 carbine, Type 38 Cavalry carbine
Arisaka Type 97 sniper
Arisaka Type 99, Type 99 Paratroop rifle, Type 99 Navy special,Type 99 long rifle
Arisaka Type 99 sniper
Nambu 14th year pistol
Type 94 pistol (the pistol holding the title of 'worst gun ever made')
Type 44 Carbine
Type 1 Carcano (I think these were more Navy or Training items......)
Type 100 SMG and it's folding stock paratroop version
Type 11 LMG
Type 92 LMG
Type 96 LMG
Type 99 LMG

I've even seen pictures of a Type 92 aircraft MG mounted on a tripod.....

Tanks:
Type 89 Chi Ro
Type 92
Type 94
Type 95 Ha Go
Type 97 Chi Ha
Type 97 Te Ke

I think it would be interesting to see them there. However, Japan's scuffles with the USSR are very minor in the scope of things, this kind of thing I would prefer to see in a mod rather as something the dev's would take time to do.

....unless the devs plan to branch out into the Pacific....cause then a chunk of the groundwork is done, and I want my Smelly mark 3, thanks!

Upvote 0