• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stopping power

Zaqq

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2010
Ukraine
Stopping power. Weapons in RO2 doesn't have it. You are hit and no effect except bleeding or death. Seriously, after getting shot with 9 mm bullet from 10 m you should stop and cry "AAAAHH MY [body part]", not continue running like nothing happened.

Sorry if there already is such thread, I used search, but maybe not very thoroughly.

Stopping power. Weapons in RO2 doesn't have it. You are hit and no effect except bleeding or death. Seriously, after getting shot with 9 mm bullet from 10 m you should stop and cry "AAAAHH MY [body part]", not continue running like nothing happened.

Sorry if there already is such thread, I used search, but maybe not very thoroughly.

I don't know, I often hear my player scream in agony after being shot. Perhaps the physical reaction could be slightly more jarring.

Upvote 0
and again its called adrennaline most soldiers dont even recognize something has gone wrong before they bleed out
it can't be every time you are hit, I think

btw, it's called adrenaline :)

And I don't like if you are hit with a rifle and there is no chance to bandage wound, you stand and screen goes black. In 3rd person you can see an animation of death, but in 1st person you just stand and die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Placement

Placement

Its called shot placement. Just as in real life, you need to make sure you hit your opponents vitals if you wish to stop them immediately. Taking a 9mm round to the arm, shoulder, lower leg, etc is not going to immediately drop you in pain, especially as others said with such huge doses of adrenaline and such. Don't get me wrong, you would soon be in a great deal of hurt, but not so much as you couldn't deal with your assailant beforehand.

From what I've seen in the game, they have done a pretty good job of modeling this. 7.62x54r and 8mm seems to have the pronounced effect it should. A gut, groin, or thigh shot with these will often times be an outright kill. The pistol calibers almost always require chest or headshots to be immediately lethal.

Upvote 0
You're actually wrong, you're mistaking hollywood fantasy with realism. In the midst of battle you aren't even going to think about the shot. There's diaries from soldiers that were in the Somalian incident (Black Hawk Down) that wrote about how some of the Somalian insurgents were so fanatical that they'd take 1-2 5.56 rounds and continue, mortally wounded, as if nothing happened until they'd drop incapacitated or dead. Bullets generally travel through you, when you shoot ballistics gel it doesnt push the block back, it just goes into it.

Upvote 0
You're actually wrong, you're mistaking hollywood fantasy with realism. In the midst of battle you aren't even going to think about the shot. There's diaries from soldiers that were in the Somalian incident (Black Hawk Down) that wrote about how some of the Somalian insurgents were so fanatical that they'd take 1-2 5.56 rounds and continue, mortally wounded, as if nothing happened until they'd drop incapacitated or dead. Bullets generally travel through you, when you shoot ballistics gel it doesnt push the block back, it just goes into it.

This sums it up for me, i think in a real situation soldiers unless badly wounded will just try and carry on. 'Get the job done' mentality and being so focused.

Upvote 0
take 1-2 5.56 rounds and continue

That's why 5.56 is considered having low stopping power. It causes horrible wounds, but it doesn't "stop".

Bullets generally travel through you
Yeah, rifle bullets (Mosin rifle, Kar 98K bullets) will travel through body.

Pistol bullets from cartridges like 9x19 got stuck in body, "transmitting" a lot of kinetic energy, sometimes causing hydrostatic shock (last one is right maybe only for high-powered cartridges like 45 ACP afaik). They should stop you.

We already discussed that, please not again
where?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
610973a5c42da1521a0e04ba32b3.jpeg

Upvote 0
That's why 5.56 is considered having low stopping power. It causes horrible wounds, but it doesn't "stop".

Yeah, rifle bullets (Mosin rifle, Kar 98K bullets) will travel through body.

Oistol bullets from cartridges like 9x19 got stuck in body, "transmitting" a lot of kinetic energy, sometimes causing hydrostatic shock (last one is right maybe only for high-powered cartridges like 45 ACP afaik). They should stop you.

Bullets DO stop you. If a bullet causes enough damage to completely incapacitate you, you 'die'. If a bullet shot through your arm or something without hitting something important, than you may barely notice it and carry on.

A lot of soldiers in history have actually died, not because they were shot, but because they didn't notice they had been shot. They continued fighting, vaguely aware of some 'minor discomfort' if anything, all the while bleeding out from a critical wound. "Hey, you know you're bleeding" is a question that is often answered with a fair bit of confusion. Had they stopped right after being hit and gotten bandaged then they could have been saved.

I've had more than a few friends not notice just how badly they've hurt themselves while doing something stupid.

Upvote 0

Well that's just not true. You clearly are not knowledgable in terminal ballistics.

I wish I could elaborate but I usually do that every other day, telling people that there are TONS of scenarios in which even a 9mm bullet at point blank range will fail to incapacitate. Infact, a 9mm bullet failing to incapacitate is not a big surprise, but to you it might be. I only used that since that's what you mentioned.

Infact it's very common for people to not even notice they're shot for quite a few seconds and even up to minutes. Much more common than Hollywood has led you to believe. And even when they do notice it, it doesn't necesarily mean they're out of the fight.

In thousands of recorded shooting statistics, both 9mm and .45 ACP FMJ rounds have a ~60% chance to stop in a single shot to the torso. That means that almost 1/2 people shot in the torso with said rounds are NOT incapacitated. That's a lot. The statistic also doesn't take into account how many times they were shot after; some of those people would have been shot twice, some twenty times. I kid you not.

Horrible wounds are stoppers. 5.56mm at short range is very reliable, it's when the velocity gets to around ~2600 fps that it's stopping power is reduced, but a vital organ hit is still a vital organ hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaqq
Upvote 0
I believe you. But "Bullets DO stop you." - depends on bullet. As I said pistol bullets should cause hard kick after hit; rifle bullets have way better penetration and velocity so they can hit "something without hitting something important" and you "may barely notice it and carry on".

I read about people who were shot many times with pistol bullets without any "stops". But it was due to the low damage too, not only because of not noticing these shots.

Horrible wounds are stoppers. 5.56mm at short range is very reliable, it's when the velocity gets to around ~2600 fps that it's stopping power is reduced, but a vital organ hit is still a vital organ hit.
Yes. But you can "not notice" it for some time, I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe you. But "Bullets DO stop you." - depends on bullet. As I said pistol bullets should cause hard kick after hit; rifle bullets have way better penetration and velocity so they can hit "something without hitting something important" and you "may barely notice it and carry on".

Pistol bullets do not cause any more kick on their target than Rifle bullets. That makes no sense. Rifles produce more energy and thus will deliver more momentum to the target. Rifle bullets will penetrate much more tissue but that too is because they produce higher energy.

But even then, as even the Mythbusters proved, a .50 BMG is barely going to move you back an inch. This is a far cry from Rambo.

I believe that conservation of momentum dictates that the maximum amount of movement the target is going to recieve is the same as that of the recoil the shooter is getting. Of course the target won't even recieve near the maximum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Panzer Jager '43, your information makes sense, huge one. But I wish you (eh, I don't mean you, Panzer Jager '43 :) ) can feel stopping power at least sometimes.

Pistol bullets do not cause any more kick on their target than Rifle bullets. That makes no sense. Rifles produce more energy and thus will deliver more momentum to the target.
They have bigger caliber :IS2:

Upvote 0
On a randomly related note, I'll try to remember to post the article about duelers who were stabbed in the heart, and continued to fight. Interesting read, I just need to remember to track it down.

Random tidbit: the heart wall can actually be pierced in a few places, and remain 'intact' and working due to its own pressure while pumping causing the wound to naturally close.

As far as I remember, no one actually survived more than a day or two.

Upvote 0