• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Has it really been five years? :(

Conscript

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005
England
I can't believe that it's been five years since the World Trade Centre attack. I remember that day vividly, standing in my living room, paralysed with shock, staring at the TV, mouth agape, as I watched the towers fall.

I just wanted to take a moment to express my condolences for those who died in these horrific attacks and give the forum a thread in which people can pay their respects.

Please, don't turn this into a political/religious/conspiracy flamewar. Leave that for some other time, if you must.

Rest in peace, all those who died,
Conscript.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Victims of American Airlines Flight 11
Victims of American Airlines Flight 77
Victims of United Airlines Flight 175
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Victims of United Airlines Flight 93
Victims of Pentagon
Victims of World Trade Centre
[/FONT]

September 11th Related Articles

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shattered - Ground Zero images
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Portraits of Grief - Glimpses of some of the victims
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]September 11th: 5 years on - BBC

All links courtesy of Overclockers.co.uk Forums
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I still remember what I was doing that day, too. I was working on a red Dodge Neon when I heard what was happening.

I remember hearing about the first plane and thinking "some moron small-plane pilot who wanted to fly between the towers screwed up." Then I heard about the second plane, and knew that it wasn't an accident....

I remember how everything got VERY quiet really quickly. Everything in the shop stopped. Most of the customers who had appointments (and these were typically scheduled a week or two out) didn't even show up. I think they forgot. Someone at work broke out a little portable TV and we wound up glued to that ****er all day long. We didn't do a hell of a lot of work, it just didn't seem to matter.

I remember one customer, who somehow was totally clueless about what was going on coming in to pick up his car. Everybody was in the office, and he tried joking about it, which was kinda the wrong thing to do... He asked what was going on, and since the second tower had just fallen, I told him that and got a blank look... So I explained what was going on, he turned as white as the rest of us probably were and got just as confused as we all were.

I can imagine that not long after, he got as angry as the rest of us were.

I don't know how it was in your areas, but I do remember a LOT of anger where I was. Everybody was shocked at what happened, but we were VERY pissed off.

I still remember how the radio stations dropped music for what seemed like a week, TV stations all turning into (basically) CNN for what seemed like the same amount of time. No planes in the sky at all, it was so creepy. It seemed like blasphemy when I heard music on the radio again, and saw sitcoms back on the TV...

I also remember the gas stations jacking their prices up to $5/gallon for about an hour, until a message from the Attorney General (who is now the Governor: I was still in Michigan) told them they'd get hit with a $50K fine for every gallon sold as punishment for price fixing and opportunism.

What a day it was... I still get choked up when I think back on it sometimes.

My suggestion for Ground Zero (which they haven't done ANYTHING with, which pisses me off to no end): rebuild it. Rebuild it all. Exactly how it was. That's the most fitting way of remembering I can think of - a statement that we won't let anything change us.

Upvote 0
Yeah i remember, i was chatting on IRC when it happened, and a guy broke the news, all of us thought he was just making it up, so he kept telling us to turn on our TV's.

I did, just when they started showing photage of the second plane hitting, it was all very surreal, i had to check out a few channels reporting the same before i wanted to belive it.

I think you can guess how the rest of my day panned out, glued to the TV, trying to make sence of it all, wondering how this would change all of our futures..

Upvote 0
I remember when it happened, as it was my first day of school down in NC. I moved from Virginia 10 days before all of this happened, my house was about 5 minutes away from the Pentagon if you went on a car. We were sitting in my science class, it was already almost noon, when the principal came on the intercom and told us what happened. I remember alot of people didn't believe it, and some kids even laughed at it... it all felt very strange.

Upvote 0
I was at work when it happened. I remember watching the towers fall over the computer monitor. Then, we heard all the planes were grounded. Our company produces cell cultures for the diagnosis of viruses. The cultures have a shelf life of a week so hospitals and reference labs order them twice a week. We ship them overnight. Well, when this happened, we couldn't ship anything. We rented two vans. One van went to Atlanta then up the east coast. My friend and I drove 70 miles to Columbus, then Indianapolis, then St. Louis, then Chicago, up the Michagan and finally home. We did this in 24 hours round trip. We were much smaller then. There would be no way to do this with our current customer base.

I agree with {YBBS}Sage. Rebuild it.

Upvote 0
I was actually just getting back from having a few drinks with friends, it was late night moving to early morning here you see. Came in the door switched the TV on and then saw that every channel was running a live feed from CNN where they were talking about some sort of plane accident. Then I saw the footage of the second plane comming in and hitting the tower and I thought **** that's no accident, I thought terrorists straight away.

I was pretty shocked, like I always had thought that something like that was bound to happen on US soil one day, just never thought it would in my lifetime. I woke everyone up and we all sat there watching in disbelief right through until morning.

The next day was one of the weirdest days in my life, everywhere people were all walking around quietly looking distressed, there was this incredibly somber atmosphere almost anywhere you went, like a funeral.

Upvote 0
I remember the day. I was playing Fallout 2 and felt for a snack. I went to kitchen and I took some dates, potato chips and chocolate. Then pops yelled: "Son, c'mere!" Towers were going down in TV and I said: "That's some really crappy special GFX. What movie is that?" Most of the people next day in school were kinda distracted: "It was the bortherhood of NOD!" "It was the americans themselves!" "It was chinese!"

Upvote 0
I had been unemployed for two days before it happened. So I was just getting up to start looking for a new job. I flipped on the tv right after the second plane hit. I couldn't believe it. It almost felt like a horror movie I couldn't get away from. I stayed glued to the tv the entire day. I forgot about my job search. I remember when the Pentegon got hit. Then I started wondering what else they were going to attack. I was afraid that this was going to be an all day attack. I knew we were at war with someone, knowing things would never be the same.

One thing I never understood was when the first tower started to fall. I knew it was going down from the first extra puffs of smoke coming out of that middle floor. It seemed to take the reporters so long to realize it. That the tower was gone before they even mentioned it had started to fall.

Upvote 0
I was in Biology class in high school. A teacher from the adjacent class came in and told our teacher, we then all watched instead of dissecting the frog...terrible day, forever etched in my memory.

I agree we need to remember, but I am with Jenova on the CNN thing. It is good to pay respects and mark the day, but to re-live it seems unneccessary. I can't stand seeing that footage...gives me the chills every time.

I also despise the commercialization of those events. I will never watch "United 93" or "World Trade Center" and I will especially not pay to see them. I think it is one of the sickest things to come out of Hollywood. Trying to make a buck off this.

Upvote 0
I remember it was during the first week of the first term at my new school (in my region we have 3 schools, one from 4-9, from 9-13 and from 13-16) and I walked in and all the TV's were on the news channel and my mum was kinda just staring at the TV in shock.

I was watching it when the 2nd plane hit, or when the first footage of the 2nd plane hitting was shown and it was unbelievable.

For the next year my english teacher mentioned something about it every single lesson 0_o

-=KnIfE=-

Upvote 0
I remember hearing it on the radio on the coach coming home from school, when I got home I had a look at the news on the telly.

It's not something that shocked me especially, I'm afraid (again meaning no disrespect to anybody). As far as I was concerned it was, after all, another terrorist attack. The surprise was that it was suicidal.

Upvote 0
I can imagine some people are relatively unaffected by the whole thing. Many of us Europeans are (unfortunately) rather too used to terrorist atrocities...

From my personal point of view, it was odd. I was back in the Finance districts in London and ended up watching the whole thing on the news feeds. I was also trying to contact friends over there (in vain, as the networks were clogged) as I had been working there a year earlier.

While it was shocking on the day, it wasn't until I saw a picture of Courtland Street subway station, which I used to travel through, where part was wrecked and part recognisable, that it hit home for me.

All in all, a very unpleasant day.

Upvote 0