• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New class - medic

I would like to see medic class implemented. Current 2-second-bandage system just encourages solo gameplay. Dedicated medic class would bring more teamplay and realism especially on respawnless servers. You could drag and/or carry the wounded to a safe spot and then administer treatment. This is how medic is implemented in stock ArmA": Operation Arrowhead:

Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead - Medic Training [ 5870 - 1920x1080 Very High ] - YouTube

And if running speed would be limited about 20% this would be even better.

If such measures won't satisfy CoD-ized crowd how about making those options fully configurable for server admins?

Last edited:
I do not think that a medic class would appeal to the style of game-play that attracts this particular player-base. In an "attempt to be ultra realistic" game such as Arma 2, it makes a bit more sense.

I'm obviously speaking for myself when I say it wouldn't be a fun class to play in RO:2. If you're going to be administering triage, you're going to have to be somewhere safe which pretty much means the spawn areas (where you're not exactly safe). Otherwise you're going to be a constant sitting target. Unless of course, you have a squad of men around you to watch your back in the thick of combat. But then that's taking up resources for capping the objectives (which is the point of the game).

Whilst I do not have anything against a medic class in general, I just don't see it gelling well in the RO style of game.

Upvote 0
Medic doesn't appeal to people? Are you new to games?

Such a class is extremely desirable by many players. Realistic and none realistic games. But throwing realism out of the window. The Medic class would of added so much depth to this game and allow you to do more with the wounding system already in place.

Damaged arms? More gun sway. Harder to aim. You can bandage and stop yourself from bleeding but a Medic can do one better! Reducing the affect of the damage done to you. Legs? Reduced speed/less sprinting bar. Medic saves the day again.

-

Medic is the only real class which makes a difference from all the soldiers currently on the battlefield. The current classes are more "Weapon assignments" than "roles on the battlefield". A squad leader is just a riflemen with some smokes. An MG is just a riflemen with an MG. A SMG guy is just a riflemen with an SMG. Everyones just a riflemen with a different weapon. Everyone acts in the same way. You'll get your SMG campers. Your rifle campers. Your MG campers. Your SL campers. You'll get your SMG/MG/Rifle/SMG rushers.

Theres no real difference on how they play. Just the weapon they use.

Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
I hate that we used to mock the idea of medics because they were unrealistic and inappropriate for a game like RO. The exact argument being this

"If you need a medic to stop you from dying and bandage you, then you are combat ineffective and count as 'dead' for game purposes. If you take a hit that you can continue fighting with then you don't need a medic"

The real solution will be to remove 'bandaging' I think, I have given it a fair go now in the beta, i didn't want to judge any RO2 feature without trying it but it is just inappropriate.

Upvote 0