• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

grenade nerfage aka more realistic grenade throwing

This is a good idea too. Only problem is you'll see a bunch of grenades being tossed around at the beginning of the map and almost none at all towards the end.

Every player could get his grenade pool reset per cap to stop that. But generally as long as the pool is managed solely by someone himself and not shared with random individuals people will learn to conserve.

Upvote 0
Even though I am a staunch opposer of nade spam, I don't believe nerfing grenades is the solution.

Yes the fuses should be slightly randomized, because it is realistic since wartime grenade production was not as precise as today, it was a case of quantity over quality. I would even go so far as to claim that a very small number of grenades should be duds, as this is also realistic.

But I simply can't support the idea that nades should be made less deadly. ROOST was pretty accurate in the lethality of nades, as they SHOULD be.

The only way to lessen nade spam is through map design. By not having so many chokepoints around capzones, and by allowing players the ability to first spot their enemies at distances beyond nade range, you encourage the use of more fire and maneuver tactics, at least until players advance into throwing distance... At which point it's party time:eek:

Upvote 0
Most guys are misunderstanding my point here. In the OP I wasn't talking about nadespam at all. I'm talking about players who use nades as their main weapon. And no, if you use them as your main weapon you don't spam them. You use them cleverly and cook them so good, that no enemy will stand a chance in fights on mid to closer ranges.
Nerfage in terms of that people, who found out how good grenades really are, can't use them as a main weapon anymore.

It's not that much of a matter with the stielhandgranate but definitely is with the F1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I think grenades shouldn't be made less lethal if anything perhaps more lethal.

But there should be things that go slightly against its usage.

- Longer time to switch weapon and get a grenade ready, and a longer time to switch back.
- Slightly random fuse time, within a realistic probability curve.
- Free aim with throwing the grenades, people should be able to train to throw well rather than automatically throw well.
- Some system that makes it that makes grenades a bit more rare and less disposable. Like say limiting total grenades someone has till the next cap zone is capped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I think grenades should be made less lethal if anything perhaps more lethal.

eeeehhhh :p

But there should be things that go slightly against its usage.

- Longer time to switch weapon and get a grenade ready, and a longer time to switch back.
- Free aim with throwing the grenades, people should be able to train to throw well rather than automatically throw well.
- Some system that makes it that makes grenades a bit more rare and less disposable. Like say limiting total grenades someone has till the next cap zone is capped.
I agree with pretty much all of that, especially the first 3. Should remove most of the "oh there's a guy, I better throw a nade instead of shoot him" type of behavior.

Upvote 0
Nade reduction

Nade reduction

Just my opinion here:

1-Nadespam is by far the worst problem in OST. I absolutely hate it. Not only do people cook nades like the OP says, but half the people are retarded and rely on nothing but nades. They spawn they throw nades randomly into the air regardless of where they are at, they likely die in 5 seconds, then respawn to repeat process. Can I get an amen?

2-The main fix is to limit nades. Zhitmoir Revenge had assault troopers with nades only...great idea! That just cut out appx 10-15 rifleman x 2 nades = 20 - 30 nades less in each combat area. That is the main answer.

Take the origional Zhitmoir: If Russia captured that 1st cap choke point, I could throw anywhere between 2-100 nades b/c i just pick up tyhose that have fallen. I've honestly wracked up 10 straight kills on that one spot. Thats one example when there are many more. Instead of trying to fix so many things that are not ever going to be realistic (fear of early nade explosion) just limit the damn things. If you make fuses randomly shorter your just going to see endless retards killing themselves a lot more.

Upvote 0
The nades in RO1 drive me nuts right now. It seems easier for people to kill you with nades than to use their weapon. It would be nice to only have two nades at the start of each game and then only one after a re spawn. If you die before using them both then that will teach me to be more careful, but I do hope this will be fixed in RO2. I also hope you can raise the weapon faster to aim. :confused:

Upvote 0
Without going into specifics, I think I can get away with saying that grenades, while more realistically powerful, are much harder to effectively spam. In fact, if you don't use them the way they were meant to be used, you could be in for a nasty surprise.

Guess the song for a free :IS2:
Been there, done that, tossed around,
I'm havin' fun don't put me down
I'll never let you blast me off my spot
I won't let you throw again,
the bullets I have tried to send,
my Nagants shot's just not goin' in

Burnin' panzers map to map,
I'll break away from something more,
For I know not to nade
if it is cheap
been there, done that, messed around,
I'm havin' fun, don't put me down
I'll never let you blow me from my feet

This time, Germans, I'll be
Greeenade proooof.
This time, Germans, I'll be
Greeenade proooof.

I won't let you turn around,
and tell me now, I'm much too proud
to go suggest a fixing
when its broke

Do do do your spamming nades
come out to play when next games out?
There's certains things that're better left well fixed.
tick tick tick tick on the watch,
countdown's too short for me to stop,
enemies, your time is running out

I don't actually feel this way, but when a really annoying song is in my head, I find that turning the lyrics into something like this is slightly less annoying :p So what song?

So to disturb your discussion, but I didn't know where to post it, and I feel this may help others with the misfortune of having said song in their head...and its kinda related :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seriously mate, that is a godawful excuse for "music".

agreed; why do you think I hate having it stuck in my head? :rolleyes:
I don't usually switch lyrics around naturally if the song is actually good.

As for the crappy video, just imagine her being the Wilso-babe in Danzig and suddenly it goes from unbearable to watch to hilarious and unbearable to watch :p

Upvote 0

I agree with these points above,

However I don't really agree with grenades being made more lethal, they had a good enough kill radius in RO....

if they are made more lethal, have the splash damage variable because there are rare accounts of grenades going off next to people and surviving unharmed in WWII.

Upvote 0
Free aim would help with the exact landing of grenades. i was thinking a cone for throwing but free aim would be better since you can get better over time.

Another problem was the jump throwing. Other then the fact that it wasn't that realistic it seemed to double the distance you could throw. Maybe making it so you can't jump once you pull the ping would help or just make it so it doesn't go farther when you do jump.

As for making them more lethal. I am for it if the damage is modeled correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0