• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ramble on tanks, armor and other stuff...

Please use ONE decent model as the basis for your calculations and do not throw random internet opinions into the mix. Consistency and reproducibility in a game are important, depending on a lottery to win a match is neither motivating nor satisfying.

There are enough modders out there which will "fix" your penetration system anyway.

/rant

From all the new info I have learnt in this topic, I don't think we have a lot of google historians discussing here, and after all the OP was about this very thing, incredibly nerve-braking maths. I don't see any people going off topic.

Imagine showcasing a game to your friends that has the fluidity and accessibility of CoD but its mechanisms are nearing a sim, I don't think they would say "Naaaah not another WW2 game" ;)

Upvote 0
Are you saying that they do not know that by now and are not able to implement a better system without you?

Oh wow, flame much? :rolleyes:

It just happens to be "interesting" to discuss things like this for me and other people and I've seen Alan post on various websites like Tank Net regarding similar things.

Don't you think Alan exactly knew that there would be a discussion on this topic when he posted details that no normal guy would know or care for? And guess what Alan's response would have been if I would have had that damned report at hand? I don't think he would have flamed me for "nitpicking". :rolleyes:

PS: Alan, could it be that the Brits used a Poldi for their tests?
This would at last somewhat explain the vast discrepancy in data since a poldi doesn't apply the sustained pressure a bench Brinell test does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Btw, lack of consistency in terms of hardness doesn't say anything about the quality of the plates themselves. So that's another factor that comes into play.
No - but it does have implications on quality control being very poor, which makes the quality of the plate pretty suspect too, as it suggests that the steel was poorly made and, potentially, shortcuts taken on plate rolling and who knows what else. But conjecture is always fun!

That Kummersdorf set of reports would be useful material...

Edit: yes, it was a Poldi test, which is why they give a range of results in their tests on the plate. They were aware of the inaccuracy, so giae a spread of results.

Reactions: Ralfst3r
Upvote 0
And cold temperatures would affect the malleability even more. Can we please not go totally nuts and random because certain experts think they know it better yet again?

Care to clarify why fairly polite discussion about subject that is somewhat debatable due multiple sources and occasionally lack of consistency needs such lovely combobreaker? :p

Upvote 0
Care to clarify why fairly polite discussion about subject that is somewhat debatable due multiple sources and occasionally lack of consistency needs such lovely combobreaker? :p
Cause there is a genuine fear that some in the community believes that Alan is going to rush into the TWI offices and declare that the currant project must be scraped and a totally new code devised....and We haven't even debated about the German armour yet....All i can say is...If Lemon or Alan see a red dot on their shirts one day...Duck and roll;):D.....personally I find this stuff fascinating and good for debate...even if It means a 2015 release date;)
(For those not up to speed, the 2015 thing is a joke....not a good one, but one all the same).
Keep debating Gentlemen, I for one love this kind of Historical debate:)

Upvote 0
Cause there is a genuine fear that some in the community believes that Alan is going to rush into the TWI offices and declare that the currant project must be scraped and a totally new code devised....and We haven't even debated about the German armour yet....All i can say is...If Lemon or Alan see a red dot on their shirts one day...Duck and roll;):D.....personally I find this stuff fascinating and good for debate...even if It means a 2015 release date;)
(For those not up to speed, the 2015 thing is a joke....not a good one, but one all the same).
Keep debating Gentlemen, I for one love this kind of Historical debate:)

Actually, the maths behind it is both simple and complex. It's "rather easy" to implement a basic penetration system that'll generally do well at calculating theoretical numbers. Where the system itself get's complex is the point when you start implementing things like variations in the armour and round quality, shattering, spalling, APHE bursting charges, effect of different angles and hardnesses of armour and it's effect on different rounds etc.

Look here for an easy to use calculator that needs only a few inputs on the geometry, hardness and density of the penetrator and the same for the armour.
http://www.longrods.ch/

The real problem is the difference in data available to feed into the system. For instance, every major nation used different quality ammunition for their penetration tests, had different criteria as to what a successful penetration actually is, used different hardness targets, different target angles, etc.

Now all this theoretical data has to be analysed and "evened" in order to get somewhat accurate results. And this was done the combat accounts start rolling in. And then you find a test that will throw over half of the other tests you based your data on. Alan's job definitely isn't easy. ;)

tl;dr version: All Data has to be "evened" out and interpreted, resulting in EVERY penetration system with real world data being different and possibly being incorrect. The only way to make the system more realistic is by matching the results of your system to other systems and RL tests and then adjusting the data accordingly.

If your system says that a tank can't be penetrated by a specific round at a very low distance while another system says that it can be penetrated at over 9 miles, there's something wrong with either one or both of the systems or the data that was fed into them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...currant...must be scraped

GIS for "currant scrape:"

Grilled+Lamb+Chops+in+Red+Currant+and+Rosemary+Sauce.jpg

Reactions: Welshie
Upvote 0
Actually, the maths behind it is both simple and complex. It's "rather easy" to implement a basic penetration system that'll generally do well at calculating theoretical numbers. Where the system itself get's complex is the point when you start implementing things like variations in the armour and round quality, shattering, spalling, APHE bursting charges, effect of different angles and hardnesses of armour and it's effect on different rounds etc.

Look here for an easy to use calculator that needs only a few inputs on the geometry, hardness and density of the penetrator and the same for the armour.
[url]http://www.longrods.ch/[/URL]

The real problem is the difference in data available to feed into the system. For instance, every major nation used different quality ammunition for their penetration tests, had different criteria as to what a successful penetration actually is, used different hardness targets, different target angles, etc.

Now all this theoretical data has to be analysed and "evened" in order to get somewhat accurate results. And this was done the combat accounts start rolling in. And then you find a test that will throw over half of the other tests you based your data on. Alan's job definitely isn't easy. ;)

tl;dr version: All Data has to be "evened" out and interpreted, resulting in EVERY penetration system with real world data being different and possibly being incorrect. The only way to make the system more realistic is by matching the results of your system to other systems and RL tests and then adjusting the data accordingly.

If your system says that a tank can't be penetrated by a specific round at a very low distance while another system says that it can be penetrated at over 9 miles, there's something wrong with either one or both of the systems or the data that was fed into them.

Now, to be completely fair - a very well reasoned and sensible post, Lemon :)

I guessed the link was Willi Odermatt - I am SO looking forward to the day when we do modern tank combat! The amount of research post-WWII is HUGE in comparison to pre-1945. People forget that most of the armor penetration mechanisms active during the war years were just about obsolete at the end of the war, as all sides were shifting to APCR/HVAP/APDS - particularly APDS, which went on to become APFSDS and gave us all the modern long-rod penetrators (see Odermatt...).

Correct: "normalising" what data you can find is a ***** - see the debates above as just one example. The different measurement techniques don't help. And all the variables when you take that to the battlefield.

On top of that, everyone makes one key mistake: they assume the numbers are "absolute". A penetration figure given on a German datenblatt of 93mm at 1000m/30 degrees - what exactly does that actually MEAN?

The Germans did their measurements by firing at a test plate, lowering the muzzle velocity until they JUST got 5 rounds in a row to penetrate, giving them a "limit velocity". One single number. From that one single number, they would then interpolate, using their own tables (which disagree, for example, with US equivalents on slope effects) what the "penetration" would be at certain ranges/angles. In game, there are a number of possible results for an impact, based off a probablistic bell curve:
  • Off the bottom end of the curve - below the 1st percentile - guaranteed failure.
  • Off the top end (over about 98th percentile) - guaranteed penetration
  • In between - generates a probability off that bell curve... random chance against that probability number
I hear some people say "but that is a problem for competitive play - it isn't KNOWN". Well - tough. That is a good model of the real world - and, if you know what you are doing, you'll be making shots at the top end of that curve, quite deliberately. But there will be plenty of shots where you have "a chance" of succeeding - your call - take the shot, or don't! That is what they had to do on the battlefield. 75mm Pzgr.39, good flank shot on a T-34, 600m - you're going to penetrate, so pick your spot for maximum damage. Other shots - harder :)

But Lemon is right - getting what data there is into line and then into the game is hard. The math, given all the variables, is evil. Then compare against the real world... adjust until it "feels" right in as many situations as possible. Oh - then wait for the modders to change it all around :)

Upvote 0
On top of that, everyone makes one key mistake: they assume the numbers are "absolute". A penetration figure given on a German datenblatt of 93mm at 1000m/30 degrees - what exactly does that actually MEAN?
There's a saying:

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.
:)

For instance, one possible reason for the difference in penetration data given for the KwK 40 L/48 could be "hotter" ammunition. Basically, when the Germans introduced the L/48 they also (logically) increased the amount of propellant in the case, giving the L/48 something like 20mm more penetration than the L/43. During field use they realised that the higher pressure resulted in extraction problems of the case which led them to reduce the propellant charge until they reached good reliability again. Unfortunately this brought down propellant charge levels down to a point where the L/48 only had a neglectably higher penetration than the L/43 version. The "hotter" ammunition was, in rapidly decreasing numbers, available until something like late 1943.

Now, there are some discussions if some of the higher penetration numbers allotted to the L/48 actually belong to the "hotter" ammo.

We'll probably never know, and all this stuff is pure and hard speculation.

People simply have to understand that there is no "TEH TRUTH!!!1" (well, there probably was, but the opportunity to find it has long passed) which is exactly why there's always so many discussion about things like this. After all, everybody interprets data differently and therefore will always come to different conclusions and will have different opinions on things. But this is exactly why discussions on this subject are so incredibly important, since it gives you different data, interpretations and opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shockingly, we're agreeing :p

Not on the distance the PzGr. 39 should be able to take out the T-34's glacis. :p

Overall, Bird&Livingston present some really good reasoning (and have done extensive research on the subject we're discussing here), although their results seem to be a bit "extreme".

Have you seen the early 1942 statistics of T-34's taken out by different calibres?
Get's to show that the KwK 39 was surprisingly effective (and also that it was the most common German gun at that time).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not on the distance the PzGr. 39 should be able to take out the T-34's glacis. :p

Overall, Bird&Livingston present some really good reasoning (and have done extensive research on the subject we're discussing here), although their results seem to be a bit "extreme".

Have you seen the early 1942 statistics of T-34's taken out by different calibres?
Get's to show that the KwK 39 was surprisingly effective (and also that it was the most common German gun at that time).
I like stats - show me the stats!

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
Yes, I know it's battlefield.ru *shruggs* but the statistics are directly taken from a sovet report written in late 1942 talking about damages to soviet tanks in the operations of mid 1942. I've seen the same (full, not cut down as on bf.ru) report pop up on Tank Net and some other websites for instance, so it's definitely real.

http://battlefield.ru/en/documents/80-armor-and-equipment/428-soviet-tanks-vulnerability.html

And we all know that battlefield.ru is definitely pro-soviet, but those statistics don't smell too fishy to me.

One interesting thing to note is that at the time of that report the majority of 75mm hits would have to be attributed to the 7,5cm KwK 37. Also gets to show how incredibly vulnerable the T-34 was concerning the Flak 36.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That website would be helpful if the cannon, type of round, distance and plate penetrated would be listed in there. Without that it is really just a s.w.a.g.

The Flak 36 hits could be hits from Skoda 37mm guns using a mix of German and Czech ammo, couldn't they? Probably not, but since there is no real data available, it is just pure hard speculation. :)

Reactions: jalex3 and LemoN
Upvote 0