• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mysterious picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its clearly a bloat and the butcher knife only looks too thin and long because its in a "wrong" angle. A bloat santa and elf clot. However, Im puzzled by that drill arm there, because the figure it belongs to is clearly a siren looking at the feet, legs and the arm on the waist...

But of course they might be fooling us with the black-n-white picture and its something else entirely.

The one on the left could be a fleshpound...

Upvote 0
A "skin" is a flat 2 dimensional texture. So if they were "reskins" then their silhouettes in that image would look exactly the same as the zeds in game now.

erm... not really :

skinning.jpg

By skin I think we mean a new mesh with the same skin as a fleshpound (which are the bones and weights in 3ds max). A texture is a 2d flat image that applies to the model with UV mapping..

srry.. :( didnt mean to be a wiseguy or something...

Upvote 0
If i understand correctly, Re-skin = re-texture of an existing model. By looking at the silhouettes of the teaser pic, it's painfully obvious there's more than a simple re-skin going on.

Re-Skinning is getting a different mesh (model) and copying the weights / envelopes and animation sets of an existing model onto it. The term skin is a bit wrong when referring to just applying new textures / GFX to existing models.

Many over here have said the same thing about the Brute beeing a re-skin of the Fleshpound, which isnt the case at all. Many dont understand the pain ive had with doing all the custom weights and envelopes. Its one of the most time-consuming tasks of game modelling. After that applying new animation sets in combination with those of the FP and adjusting them wasnt easy too. Srry...had to be said...wrong topic for it I know.

So If they imported a new model but kept the animation sets / weights (even sounds) of the fleshpound the same, it technically can be called a re-skin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Guess I see it more in terms of professional usage and not gaming wise. Dunno.

If you look at the picture I posted the "skin" modifier refers to bones and weights on the model...not textures, and when you work with 3ds max you kinda stop using the term skin when referring to textures...cous its kinda confusing.

Anyway, lets just say there's 2 ways of interpetation of this term. :) So Sammers was right if he was talking in professional terms. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.