• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DLC and updates idea.

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
I had an idea about DLCs that vaguely explained in another thread.
I want to go deeper into that idea and further develop it.

So, we really don't know how the single player will be... but we can speculate that they are gonna be challenges within the multiplayer maps. Some scripts, enemy placements, objectives, etc...

The idea is that TWI could offer regular FREE multiplayer map packs, keeping the game alive, and at the same time release paid DLC versions of those maps, adapted with challenges for single player.

This way you have DLCs that don't split the community, that people won't feel forced to buy, and at the same time, keep the game supported. Its win-win.

In my opinion, there should be no DLCs whatsoever, an expansion.. perhaps, but given the fact there will be two to three (free) mods coming right out of the gate, I think DLCs and Expansions would be pretty hard for TW to peddle. I mean, the efforts for quality in the Red Orchestra franchise are commendable, but given the fact that so much has already been free, or simply really cheap to purchase, I don't think DLC's will exactly do so well on the market.

Given the fact that people can probably make their own singleplayer maps in the SDK, I think nobody wouyld buy the DLC if they could get the same thing for free. IF they made a Battle of Kursk expansion, with 10+ maps, and at least 5 new tanks, I'd probably buy it. It's just that given TW's past pricing (which was very fair) and the fact that they include free content boosters, a DLC would just be a bit of a.. joke. As much as a franchise like Red Orchestra deserves my money, I don't see how anybody would suddenly expect that anyone would buy a priced DLC for a franchise that is so used to free content boosters.

[rant] When it comes down to it, DLC's are basically the spitting image of restrictive content control and shoddy costumer-company loyalty. I mean, given the **** that infinity ward did with MW2, the very word "DLC" should make you cringe and should make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It's all to common these days that companies literally pull stuff out of the game, and rehash it into a for-purchase "DLC" rather than just include it in the game right of the bat, we already ****ing bought the game, what more do you want? [/rant]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my opinion, there should be no DLCs whatsoever, an expansion.. perhaps, but given the fact there will be two to three (free) mods coming right out of the gate, I think DLCs and Expansions would be pretty hard for TW to peddle. I mean, the efforts for quality in the Red Orchestra franchise are commendable, but given the fact that so much has already been free, or simply really cheap to purchase, I don't think DLC's will exactly do so well on the market.

Given the fact that people can probably make their own singleplayer maps in the SDK, I think nobody wouyld buy the DLC if they could get the same thing for free. IF they made a Battle of Kursk expansion, with 10+ maps, and at least 5 new tanks, I'd probably buy it. It's just that given TW's past pricing (which was very fair) and the fact that they include free content boosters, a DLC would just be a bit of a.. joke. As much as a franchise like Red Orchestra deserves my money, I don't see how anybody would suddenly expect that anyone would buy a priced DLC for a franchise that is so used to free content boosters.

You realize that Killing Floor has 4 DLC packs, right? and that they coexist with free booster packs too, right?

Upvote 0
I haven't even heard of them nor bought them. Then again, I bought killing floor and it wasn't really my cup of tea. Even if I did play KF more than I do, I don't think I would have bought a DLC given the opportunity.

This is just me, but if I were to consider buying a DLC (or an expansion, preferably) it'd have to nearly rival the full retail game in size and quality; albiet with the gameplay foundations and game engine already laid down by the original game. I honestly don't see what could be included in an RO:2 DLC that would be worth buying. I'd gladly pay above the normal retail price for RO:2, assuming that there were going to be a lot of free content boosters, and any "DLCs" would instead be included for free.

Most of the time, DLCs are not even worth whipping out the credit card for. They are small and lackluster, which is generally why If I'm only "mildly" interested in them, I wait until they are all in one pack and reduced in price (which is basically what an expansion pack is, anyways).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't even heard of them nor bought them. Then again, I bought killing floor and it wasn't really my cup of tea. Even if I did play KF more than I do, I don't think I would have bought a DLC given the opportunity.

This is just me, but if I were to consider buying a DLC (or an expansion, preferably) it'd have to nearly rival the full retail game in size and quality; albiet with the gameplay foundations and game engine already laid down by the original game. I honestly don't see what could be included in an RO:2 DLC that would be worth buying. I'd gladly pay above the normal retail price for RO:2, assuming that there were going to be a lot of free content boosters, and any "DLCs" would instead be included for free.

Most of the time, DLCs are not even worth whipping out the credit card for. They are small and lackluster, which is generally why If I'm only "mildly" interested in them, I wait until they are all in one pack and reduced in price (which is basically what an expansion pack is, anyways).

You can make your own custom skins for KF, or download the ones from the community, yet, people still buy the DLCs regardless.

Your vision of DLC is restricted and clouded to your own opinion, and you can't see why others would buy, and I'm not gonna discuss anything or trying to convince you of anything because, despite whatever your opinion is, the fact is that: people buy it. The only problem here is that you don't understand why.

Reactions: heady89
Upvote 0
Looking at the KF DLCs, they don't seem so bad. Not that'd I'd buy them, either way.

If it's just trivial stuff like character skins, it's not a big deal since they are totally optional, but I'd rather tripwire focus on a legit expansion pack or a massive free content booster, rather than a half a dozen dozen little DLCs, why waste the effort on character models and skins (or likewise, singleplayer scenarios) when you can make new tanks, maps and weapons.

I suppose if you want to buy a bunch of pointless dlcs, it's up to you.. But I mean honestly, if Tripwire had a donations button I'd probably just give them money out of gratitude, why cluster up tiny frivolous content packs when you can do something on a larger horizon? :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking at the KF DLCs, they don't seem so bad. Not that'd I'd buy them, either way.

If it's just trivial stuff like character skins, it's not a big deal since they are totally optional

If you read the first post, you realize that is totally optional and don't affect multiplayer play in any way. And challenge missions are not optional. They could update the games for FREE for those who don't want to pay, but offer missions and challenges in single player to those who do want them or those who simply want to support TWI. So its up to you if you don't want to buy them, so I don't understand why you are against it.

Actually, your proposal of an expansion seems much more restrictive, as it would split the community between those who buy, and whose who don't, and would probably take free booster packs out of the equation. You are basing everything depending on what you want and what you would buy. Thats a very selfish point of view IMO.

Upvote 0
I don't care what you buy, I only care about what's going to be in the game I purchase right off the bat.

Of course, you only care about yourself, you already made it pretty clear.

I just don't see why any time should be wasted making frivolous DLCs

You just don't see, because you don't see beyond your own nose. Because "frivolous" is subjected to your own opinion.

when more content could be put into booster packs.

Booster packs are not free to make.

You also don't see, that making an official multiplayer map, is already part of the booster pack, that could be transformed into a single player DLC with relatively small effort.

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour team hasn't announced what thier plans are for DH2 other than there being a DH2.

I wouldn't mind having the DLC as outlined by the OP, but seeing a nice big expansion pack as well would be nice. Something like Kursk or Berlin since they are relatively well known, and could provide a different play style... Kursk more so than Berlin

That said splitting up the community isn't a good idea unless you have the player base to support both instances of the game.

Upvote 0
I support this idea.

As long as paid-for DLC remains as purely aesthetic things for the game I won't care too much about it. One could say that it's a slippery slope, but I don't see that being true for Tripwire.

The DLC in Killing Floor worked out really well, and I even bought one of the character packs for 2 bucks to support TWI. If they did something similar for RO2 I would support it. We're in a day in age when (particuarly PC) developers need to find other ways to supplement their income besides normal sales, especially in regards to ever-present piracy.

So if offering some purely optional non-game-changing DLC helps TWI remain financially healthy so that they can keep making high quality PC games, then I support it.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
I think you are missing my point:

All maps would be free for everyone... but the missions for single player/coop within those maps, would be paid.
This is a bit off topic, but just think how awesome it will be to have custom mappers making SP as well as MP maps. Like I would love to see a community of COOP mappers making stuff for RO2's COOP game modes. That would be epic!

Upvote 0