• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's breaking the WW2 experience for you?

SchabeOink

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2011
And another lurker turning semi-active!

While I found several threads dealing with "what we like and what we don't like" I thought it would be interesting to bundle some issues which deal with something more specific: Breaking immersion!

This is not about "gamebreaking" mechanics or bugs, real or imaginary, more about the feel we get playing the game - or wishing we had! - and what breaks that feel.

For myself I find the following quite immersion breaking:
- Voice Radio Chatter (NOT the artillery/recon dialogue)
If you do pay attention you will notice that sometimes you hear friendly and opfor voice messages as radio chatter - as opposed to a guy yelling out next to you. Makes me feel more like I'm in a modern combat enviroment then WW2. I do feel that voice commands are underused at this stage, but that's up to the people to use them.

- The German team logo has to change
I agree that the current logo looks too much like the WW1 era Pour le Merite - a simple WW2 era Balkenkreuz as suggested in this thread would do the trick without going down the swastika road.

- Uniformity
Yes you heard me! I'm not talking about the uniforms, but the batch of clonetroopers that hatch at the start of each round. While different heights and bodysizes would be unfair in terms of target-equality, more distinguishable faces, individual flair to uniforms (maybe class related?).
A thread asking about clothes upgrades can be found here.

- Tracers
Tracers! I loved tracers in RO1 and Darkest Hour. Am I blind or have they simply vanished?

What is it that breaks the immersion, the feeling of being in the middle of a WW2 firefight, to you?

Helmets, caps, they're somehow glued to heads of the soldiers. unlike in RO:Ost where we've seen lots of helmets rolling off heads.
to strengthen my argument, I'll say that in one of the Grain Elevator loading screens, there's a dead German without his helmet.

the helmets/caps do not seem to have any straps on them tied around heads - if they had, It would be more understandable.

Upvote 0
I seriously agree the constant chatter got old after like the first few hours of gameplay.

I think there should also be more sway after running or when exhausted. Also, the rambo MG has a solution, kind of like the heavy in tf2, use the right mouse button to stabalize youself and walk slower.

Also, the weird respawn between every round of count down ruins the impressiveness for me.

Upvote 0
(wife aggro)-other than that im really happy with the game.I think TWI has almost a perfect mix of realism/fun.....You guys have no idea how hard this is to balance both....Alot of my friends was turned off by RO1's steep learning curve and didn't play it but they love this game .... and keeping me happy ro1 being my favorite game of all time.Minor gameplay grips will get tweaked in time TWI really does make games for their fans :)

angrypointingwoman.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't really like the popups "press x to use cover", and the little image below it showing me what it might look like if I used the cover system. Is that necessary after you've played a few times? Its like theres some text on my HUD for most of the game

When I was out of breath in Ost you could hear the guy gasping like he was genuinely exhausted, rather than saying to noone in particular how tired he is. Sometimes when you dived to prone you would hear a little gulp like you winded yourself

I do like the sound in RO2 though, and the voices I guess eventhough it can be a little cheesy sometimes or out of place depending on the circumstance

A big immersion killer for me is having my weapon move unrealistically when I'm shot at. It happens too much and too awkwardly. Plus I don't really like the fake heart beat sound when I'm suppressed, or the grey image

Last edited:
Upvote 0
-The UAV uplink system that automatically uploads the location of the enemy to your in-helmet hud

-unlocks

-english voice acting (i've changed it, but the radio and such is still in english)

.Alot of my friends was turned off by RO1's steep learning curve and didn't play it but they love this game

Well then dont play it.

whats with this notion of kicking down someones clubhouse and DEMANDING to be accommodated? RO was a realistic shooter aimed for a more hardcore crowd, people should have enough respect to stop trying to change everything into what they like.

You or your friends dont like a realistic shooter? Then go play one of the millions of arcade like shooters; no need to transform one of the few tactical shooters into yet another generic fps. I dont barge into CoD and force everyone to change the game to something like ARMA or RO...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't like the lockdown on some TE maps, when one team has all the caps from the start and the other team has to attack they have a second timer "to stop the round when it's clean that the attacking team is getting slaughtered". Well that sounds good in theory but when I'm playing the game, especially Commander's house the russian lose every single time because the lockdown stays there the whole round like it's some kind of weird TE CD hybrid. I don't like CD because of the short rounds, I prefer long battles where I can choose where and how to attack. But when there's a timer ontop of the round timer that tells me to capture the next objective in the next 3 minutes I'm not going to do alot of planning! It's only when one side defends and the other side attacks that there's a lockdown so I guess I can avoid those maps and wait for community maps. Besides that I'm happy with RO2, it's more mainstream but TW can't run on love and happiness forever.

Upvote 0
Yeah I really can't understand why people are still complaining about this, it has been explained over a dozen times already. It amazes how many realism "purists" are complaining about features that are more realistic than what was in RO1.

Doesn't mean its more immersive. Its still odd how you can press a button and feel like you took out some binoculars

Upvote 0
Tracers and not really normal to use in WW2. The only weapon so far that have tracers, is the Light machinegun.

Well I should have been more specific: I most certainly ment the LMG, stationary MG and tank coax that are lacking tracers! Not only does it look really cool and adds "life" to the battlefield, they serve a military purpose hence why they exist and were used by all sides (seriously I'm not going to explain tracers!). I have been killed several times now by tanks' coax and finding out only through killcam that it was a tank, not by the tracers creeping up my position until they found me.

shadowwill raises some good points there.
I fully agree on the english voice acting, but trust that it will be optional in the final version as has been said in other threads here.
I also find the bandage system too arbitrary.

On voice chatter in general, I like it alot but it really should NOT sound like coming out of a radio since there aren't any arround on the personal level.

What else I found:

- No Clipping through players
While it does help people moving arround instead of getting stuck in every passageway, it feels and actually is arkward. The feel of "sorry m8 this foxhole is full find one yourself" during an assault or barrage just adds to the tension! Or when you can't get out of that room with the live grenade because two other guys are bunched up behind you and don't see the threat...good times! In other circumstances it can protect people from being stupid - there's only one person per window that can get shot at the given time and not two snipers clipping through each other waiting to provide the enemy with that delicious one-bullet-two-kills occassion.

- Both the Minimap and the regular map are way to overloaded with information. Keeping it simple would be much better imho. What I would like to see is that while TL and SL have detailed maps that include a grid system, the regular trooper has a functional but way less sophisticated map that appears as if scribbled down during the briefing.

Upvote 0
-The UAV uplink system that automatically uploads the location of the enemy to your in-helmet hud

-unlocks

-english voice acting (i've changed it, but the radio and such is still in english)

Well then dont play it.

whats with this notion of kicking down someones clubhouse and DEMANDING to be accommodated? RO was a realistic shooter aimed for a more hardcore crowd, people should have enough respect to stop trying to change everything into what they like.

You or your friends dont like a realistic shooter? Then go play one of the millions of arcade like shooters; no need to transform one of the few tactical shooters into yet another generic fps. I dont barge into CoD and force everyone to change the game to something like ARMA or RO...

You can say the same thing for all the people demanding that RO2 be more hardcore. If TWI wants to make their new game less hardcore in order to reach a larger audience then that's their decision. Who are you to demand they stay with RO1-like gameplay? TWI isn't indebted to the RO1 community simply because they bought their game. They dont owe them anything and to be frank, anything RO1 vets receive is purely out TWI's generosity and not something they are entitled to by any means. Merely pointing out the hypocrisy in your argument.

In the end TWI makes them games, and you choose to buy them or not. Im sure they more than appreciate feedback but its their game in the end and they can make it however they like.

Reactions: Stahlgeist
Upvote 0