• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radeon HD 5870 issues?

Zer0dB

Oct 24, 2009
This post can be found on steam's Killing Floor forums as well. I just thought that this would be a more specific and helpful subforum to post this in.

I recently upgraded from a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 (512mb) to an ASUS EAH5870 (Radeon HD 5870, 1gb) and tried to play Killing Floor on it. However, to my disappointment, I have found that Killing Floor tends to lag quite a bit when in-game. It does fine on menus (server lobby, options, etc), but that's it. Here's my system specs.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Hard Drive: 2x500GB WD Caviar SE16
Video Card: ASUS EAH5870
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Revision 2 USB
Mouse: Razer Diamondback 3G USB
Operating System: Windows Vista Business x64
Motherboard: ASUS P5K Pro
PSU: Gigabyte ODIN PRO(GE-MK20A-D1) 1200W

The game ran just fine on my 4870, all my drivers are up to date, this is the _only_ game this has happened in so far, and yes my vista business license is legitimate.

I'd like to thank anyone who helps me out on this in advance.

Edit: So after some heavy testing I've found that it's the Anti-Aliasing that's giving me serious problems. Anything above 2x and my framerate goes to 10-15 )= Any ideas why?

Last edited:
Can anyone help me out with this?

Another thing, I just upgraded to Windows 7 Professional and performance has dropped even further. I get 15-20fps at best with lowest settings, and it now takes up 1GB+ of RAM. WTF??

Please read forums before you post a problem. Many people are having this problem and it's caused by a memory leak caused in the new update. TWI is looking into this and a patch should be released soon.

Upvote 0
He's correct that there's not a real "memory leak". That would mean that Killing Floor continuously uses more and more RAM the longer you play it. On every machine in our studio, this is not the case. What *is* happening, though, is that the Unreal Engine has to tendency to double memory usage when loading files(without ever truly releasing that memory). On machines that were already using most of their memory, this was causing things to end up in the page file, which means memory access time just shot up to match hard drive access time in some cases. This is causing both the loading and the bad performance on a number of machines.

We are addressing that issue, but what this thread is referencing has nothing to do with that issue. The anti-aliasing technique that Killing Floor is using is very fast at lower resolutions when doing a single pass(2x), but dauntingly slow at higher resolutions, especially when doing multiple passes(higher than 2x). Multiple passes on low resolutions(1024x768) seems to turn out roughly equivalent to doing a single pass on a higher resolution(1680x1050) as far as frame rate.

Upvote 0
This post can be found on steam's Killing Floor forums as well. I just thought that this would be a more specific and helpful subforum to post this in.

I recently upgraded from a Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 (512mb) to an ASUS EAH5870 (Radeon HD 5870, 1gb) and tried to play Killing Floor on it. However, to my disappointment, I have found that Killing Floor tends to lag quite a bit when in-game. It does fine on menus (server lobby, options, etc), but that's it. Here's my system specs.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale
Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Hard Drive: 2x500GB WD Caviar SE16
Video Card: ASUS EAH5870
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Revision 2 USB
Mouse: Razer Diamondback 3G USB
Operating System: Windows Vista Business x64
Motherboard: ASUS P5K Pro
PSU: Gigabyte ODIN PRO(GE-MK20A-D1) 1200W

The game ran just fine on my 4870, all my drivers are up to date, this is the _only_ game this has happened in so far, and yes my vista business license is legitimate.

I'd like to thank anyone who helps me out on this in advance.

Edit: So after some heavy testing I've found that it's the Anti-Aliasing that's giving me serious problems. Anything above 2x and my framerate goes to 10-15 )= Any ideas why?

Try using the control panel anti aleasing options and not setting it ingame.

Upvote 0
He's correct that there's not a real "memory leak". That would mean that Killing Floor continuously uses more and more RAM the longer you play it. On every machine in our studio, this is not the case. What *is* happening, though, is that the Unreal Engine has to tendency to double memory usage when loading files(without ever truly releasing that memory). On machines that were already using most of their memory, this was causing things to end up in the page file, which means memory access time just shot up to match hard drive access time in some cases. This is causing both the loading and the bad performance on a number of machines.

We are addressing that issue, but what this thread is referencing has nothing to do with that issue. The anti-aliasing technique that Killing Floor is using is very fast at lower resolutions when doing a single pass(2x), but dauntingly slow at higher resolutions, especially when doing multiple passes(higher than 2x). Multiple passes on low resolutions(1024x768) seems to turn out roughly equivalent to doing a single pass on a higher resolution(1680x1050) as far as frame rate.

Ok thanks for clearing that up because sometimes I will be on wave one using very little ram(compared to other games) and a frame rate of 50. By the last wave I am getting 10 frames tops and my ram usage has skyrocketed

Upvote 0