• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank Driving

Can we get back on topic?

I'm definantly for the gears because I'm use to it in WW2ol. But I do believe they should be an option and not forced upon everyone. I also like the idea that they could be a server thing, that way you could have your more realistic servers and then have your average servers.

If you guys have a joystick then you won't have to worry so much about determining what button does what for tanks. Just have one button for turning on the engine, two buttons for gears, and your other buttons are for what ever you want. It works very well in WW2ol and its the only way you can drive a tank easily. I'm sure in RO that you can drive a tank just fine with the keyboard while using other keys to shift. But with the joystick you get that extra precision and no jumpiness of pressing a key to move. In fact I may go home and switch my tank to joystick.

Upvote 0
|MP44|FritZFretZ said:
@ -MM!!-Lazarus:

I'm sure many of the suggestions made in this forum won't even be considered for the basic game. However, a lot of good ideas come up in here that would make excellent mutators/mods for servers interested in realism. I'm pretty sure there is no rush to get these out though, we all need see what the devs do in the next few months first. I'm looking forward to some really sweet realism mods in the next six months.;)
I have absolutely no problem with people making suggestions. I even think it would be fun to have manually gears and be able to use my MOMO steeringwheel.

But. I have a problem with the attitude saying that "we should changes this and that so that the guys who doesnt have a clue leaves again".
And the attitude that makes people reply like "Go away" when they think new peoples suggestions are not for RO.

I actually like that there is a suggestion part of the forum, thats not common, and being part of another community where the players (like here) help to develope the game/mod is very nice.
Unfortunately, to me at least, there is an atmosphere here that strictly declares what kinds of suggestions is OK to post and what kind is not.
If you post a suggestion that makes the game more realistic, no matter how much more it makes it a simulator, its OK.
If you post something not in line with previous parts of the forecomming mod or something purely FPS-fun making, you are pretty sure to get hackled.

Takadi, the part with the racing game was meant as a "right-back-at-you" tongue-in-cheek" remark. Sorry that I wasn

Upvote 0
tank transmissions have come a long way! most of the times you had to select a gear and stay in that gear till you came to a stop or you could only upshift or downshift a few gears and that was it unless you came to a stop. Along came the panther and the complicated but easier to use (automatic 1940's style) transmision.

Steering was done by levers which were clutches that allowed you to engage the final drives or not depending on if you wanted to go straight or turn. On later models, wheels or modified wheels were added but with the same linkage as with levers.

Upvote 0