• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Give Squad Leaders bolt action rifles.

Give Squad Leaders bolt action rifles.

• Yes

Votes: 69 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 35 33.7%

• Total voters
hubba-h-wha?
Being able to spawn close to the SL seems like it gives people the idea that squad leaders are supposed to work as spawns, perferly extremely close to the enemy and this kinda eliminate the squad leaders role.

Isnt that THE point of spawning on SL?
SL moves into enemy territory, gets into a good position and has squad members spawning on him, acting as the mobile spawn to get you closer to the objective.

Yeah. I see absolutely no point in being able to spawn close to the squad leaders. First off, It feels wrong to encounter an enemy squad leader when you know that enemies might magically pop up close to him. Can be quite irretating aswell.

That cannot happen, the way it works now - if you have LOS on SL or any of the spawn points, they cannot spawn.

Oh and if you think otherwise, here's a link to thread answered by TWI Devs:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=66202#14

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read somewhere US Company COs and possibly other leaders (?) were given submachineguns because they weren't supposed to engage with the enemy as part of the main fires.

Didn't Major Richard Winters of 506th Abn E-company (as in Band of Brothers) use M1 Garand pretty much through the war?

I strongly support that this is being made optional.

Upvote 0
Didn't Major Richard Winters of 506th Abn E-company (as in Band of Brothers) use M1 Garand pretty much through the war?

I strongly support that this is being made optional.

To be fully correct, M1 Garand is a semi-automatic rifle. Unlike Soviet Russia, America actually cared enough for their soldiers to equip them with gas operated semi-autos across the board (being the first nation to ever do that)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be fully correct, M1 Garand is a semi-automatic rifle. Unlike Soviet Russia, America actually cared enough for their soldiers to equip them with gas operated semi-autos across the board (being the first nation to ever do that)

I think not so much that they "cared for the troops" as "we have so much industrial capacity, why the fark not?"

Upvote 0
Considering SL's have the option for semi-auto's, I'm not quite sure why you'd want to choose a bolt instead.

Sure there's a slight damage increase if you go bolt, but the semi's fit nicely into the gap left by smg's for mid to long range, while still offering some rapid fire capability to use at short range.

In short, given the choice of all three as an SL in Ro2, I'd pick a semi-auto 90% of the time, with smg taking the other 10%.

Upvote 0
Considering SL's have the option for semi-auto's, I'm not quite sure why you'd want to choose a bolt instead.

Sure there's a slight damage increase if you go bolt, but the semi's fit nicely into the gap left by smg's for mid to long range, while still offering some rapid fire capability to use at short range.

In short, given the choice of all three as an SL in Ro2, I'd pick a semi-auto 90% of the time, with smg taking the other 10%.

I'd be cool with locking the semi-auto until the SL is a higher level.

Might discourage people grabbing him just for the semi if he has to choose between CQC and long-range.

I think not so much that they "cared for the troops" as "we have so much industrial capacity, why the fark not?"

Helps that our factories weren't smoking holes in the ground.

Silly Japan. Picking fights with a nation that can out-produce both you and most of Europe without breaking a sweat. Bad idea, lads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get what you're thinking about but there's not much point locking them until you level up, all it'll do is give a temporary lull in semi-auto useage until it's unlocked for lots of people again.

Better option might be to simply remove semi-autos from SL, give them a choice of bolt or smg, but give them another smoke to make up for it. Make them focus more on the tactical side of things rather than out and out fighting. As someone who likes playing SL, I'd quite like that.

Just leave semi's to the Commander and the Elite Riflemen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^^ Dood, what are you smoking? Commanders job is not to sit on his *** in the back by the radio

He's the only one that can summon the most powerful weapon in the game, he can mark every exposed target on the map for his allies, people can't spawn on him, there's only one of him, and he needs to be near a radio to use his most important abilities.

If you're assaulting points as a commander, you'redoinitwrong.

Reactions: hishnik
Upvote 0
Yeah, but the commander has two smoke grenades, I think that's a pretty powerful message. In my view he should be in the middle of the two, sitting at one of the forward radios calling in artillery and such, and running to the front to throw smokes on offence. On defence he should be holding down the point because he has a submachine gun and extra capping power I've heard. He only needs to be at the radio every two minutes or so (the cooldown on recon and artillery). I do think he'd be cooler with only a pistol though.

Upvote 0
Well, having only a pistol wouldn't stop him from running the front to throw smokes (it'd make him even faster, actually), it'd just discourage people from grabbing the class just for the weapon.

Plus, having a commander standing among his men blasting baddies in the head with a pistol conjures visions of all kinds of awesome. It may not be realistic, but it would be -ducking fawsome-

Upvote 0
He's the only one that can summon the most powerful weapon in the game, he can mark every exposed target on the map for his allies, people can't spawn on him, there's only one of him, and he needs to be near a radio to use his most important abilities.

If you're assaulting points as a commander, you'redoinitwrong.
Here's my idea of how to play commander:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=931089&postcount=9

As far as i'm concerned, the commander needs to be BY the radio for 10-15 seconds at most (at any given point of time), and having cooldown at least 2 minutes ensures that you have 2 minutes before next camping session.

I NEVER sit by the radio in my zone, hell, half the time i'm using their radios.
I'm always on front lines helping to cap/clear/secure...

Upvote 0
When the artillery is on cool down I see no reason for him not to shoot at stuff.

I completely agree with this statement. Commander needs to be in vicinity of radio audibles, to warn their team mates about enemy recon/arty.

I have put in a whole lot of hours as commander, and most of the time i end up in top 5 players, and not only because of arty (which by the way should be placed not on where players are, as Josef implied, but rather predicting movement) but mostly because I use that semi-auto SVT to my best ability.

Upvote 0
shrugponybigmacbymoonga.png

Well then, lesson learned. Don't tell people how to play classes you yourself don't ever play.

Upvote 0