• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping fix

plex

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2011
TWI, we need a micro patch to fix the Ping issues as soon as possible. Please! :confused:

Everyone i have talked to is complaining about it, and they say they wont play until this is fixed.

Its only in servers with player counts upwards of 40+ players

I want to play with my friends.. but they wont play until the game is playable, and i cant help but agree with them.

Tripwire, fix the ping and people will be flocking to this game, just yesterday i saw 2 people in the same server within 5 minutes of each other who said they came over from BF3 because "it was boring them" - they also said they LOVED this game, but they only had one problem with it.. terrible ping issues and lag spikes.

If this gets fixed, and we can get steady, consistent, low pings below 40 at all times the game would explode!

Please TWI, make ping priority.

Thanks,
-plex

Last edited:
Reactions: eliterizzo
Yoshiro just stated in his 29th update that, that is the next thing they will be seriously looking into, and will be looking to fill a server to investigate it at length.

But yeh... it sucks that it is like this.... one of the biggest selling points for me was 64 players.. After playing RO1 with 32 like on the berlin map...i was thinking 64 on a combined arms would be sweet. but alas my dreams are yet to come true.

Upvote 0
I had a ping of 35 on CoD UO, on the same server that we're using now (so the same connection). I'm getting 65-75 on RO2.
That's just the difference between using a ping response from non-processed messages and basing it on the travel time for game traffic. RO2's default 20 tick rate, which is what most FPS run on, means you get 0-50ms (25ms average) applied to all actions you take in the game, as they have to wait until the next tick to be processed. RO2 could display a ping derived from traffic that bypasses the processing cycles, but all that would do is make the number look better.

The short version: RO2 is showing you the real game-terms ping, the other game is showing you just the raw internet ping. Pings going up as the server load increases is a different matter entirely; that's a symptom of servers running beyond their hardware's capacity, forcing it to delay processing cycles beyond the normal tick rate, or simply skip them entirely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes the pings is what most my friends are mostly concerned about.
My ping is usually around 90 in RO2 on 64 ppl server but peaks to 130 ms on several maps with artillery etc.
It can be below 50 ms if the server is only populated with 40 ppl.

This makes it so hard to hit anything with a bolt esp. if you try to hit someone with a 200 ms ping.
Gaming experience could improve drastically once we get stable pings.

Someone posted that they get good pings on the 40-1 UK server. I found that this server is one of the worst peaking with pings up to 600 ms for everyone and more. Sorry admins of 40-1 but that is just my experience.
Otherwise it is a great server with nice people.

The most stable 64 ppl server nearby I found to be the TOGA server but still troubled by pings 120 ms +.
I don't know about relaxed realism servers as I don't like the name indicator at a great distance and the HUD.

Reactions: tixhal
Upvote 0
yea 100ms is good, but not for FPS..MMOs maybe...i can tell a difference between 20, 40, 60 100+ 150ms pings...

I can tell the difference as well from the rare occurences of playing on servers that gives me constant 50 or below pings. But everything below 100 is going to give you a smooth play with bullet lag or movement issues being so small that they will be of no consequence.

I have being playing multiplayer FPS's for more than a decade, am based in Europe in an area that has plenty of servers and I can safely say that 50 below pings are not a common occurrence. 50-100 is the average and has been always. You are simply setting your standards too high.

Upvote 0
In Counter-Strike, COD4:MW, and TF2 servers located in Chicago i manage to get pings of 20 or lower!

In Red Orchestra 2 servers located in Chicago -- In 32 player servers i get ping around 50-60, in servers of 64 players i get ping of around 120-150 and it even spikes to 800+ ping sometimes..

I was in a RO2 server where they modified the server config file and made the tick 40 and the rates they upped to between 20000 - 40000 and the pings came down to lower 30's (In 32 player server) so maybe this is something that TWI can look into for improving the pings.

Upvote 0
In Counter-Strike, COD4:MW, and TF2 servers located in Chicago i manage to get pings of 20 or lower!

In Red Orchestra 2 servers located in Chicago -- In 32 player servers i get ping around 50-60, in servers of 64 players i get ping of around 120-150 and it even spikes to 800+ ping sometimes..

I was in a RO2 server where they modified the server config file and made the tick 40 and the rates they upped to between 20000 - 40000 and the pings came down to lower 30's (In 32 player server) so maybe this is something that TWI can look into for improving the pings.

what you get shown in that games is the ICMP ping aka network rountrip ping.

what you get displayed in RO is the game ping, calculated on a formula based on ICMPING and tickrate (I've posted it several times in the forum,,, too lazy to searc it again).

If the server is overloaded is "missing" processing some "ticks" which increase the displayed game ping.

btw. the server load is increasing exponentially with the number of the players. This is why you can see big difference betwenn an 64 player and a 50 player server load.

EDIt: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=23696&postcount=7
EDIT2: as you can see in the ^forumae the displyed ping is influenced by your FPS and server tickrate. Increasing the tickrate is decreasing the ping but increase the server load.

If the server is missing ticks -> decreased "real" ticks -> increase ping

If TWI manage to decrease/spread the server load :
- reduce the missing ticks
- increase the tickrate
. Both actions have as end effect reducing the displayed ping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My thougts precisely. 100 or below is a much more realistic goal. I have never had consistent below 40 pings in any game. Below 100 gives a perfectly good playing experience.

There's an awesome Russian server I sometimes play on. I get a constant 140 ping and it's perfectly playable.

The problems only come on servers wheri you get lag spikes and desync, causing rubber-banding.

On the other hand, I've seen guys with 350 ping stay on a server for several rounds. I don't know how they get any fun out of that.

Upvote 0
Yea the game is playable with a ping of 140...but why the hell is my ping 140? All the other games I play my ping is between 40-60.

Omg, it was explained twice in this thread alone:

That's just the difference between using a ping response from non-processed messages and basing it on the travel time for game traffic. RO2's default 20 tick rate, which is what most FPS run on, means you get 0-50ms (25ms average) applied to all actions you take in the game, as they have to wait until the next tick to be processed. RO2 could display a ping derived from traffic that bypasses the processing cycles, but all that would do is make the number look better.

The short version: RO2 is showing you the real game-terms ping, the other game is showing you just the raw internet ping. Pings going up as the server load increases is a different matter entirely; that's a symptom of servers running beyond their hardware's capacity, forcing it to delay processing cycles beyond the normal tick rate, or simply skip them entirely.

Reactions: |Brothers|-ktabz
Upvote 0
You guys can explain how the ping gets calculated and why it is higher all you want... but the bottom line is the pings are very high and unconsistent - which means that TWI needs to come up with a way to lessen the load on the servers by changing the netcode in a way that is more efficient and results in lower, more consistent pings across the board so we can all get consistent bullet reg and less rubber-banding, network lag, and unplayability..

This is all i ask from TWI right now, everything else is secondary issues in my opinion.

-plex

Upvote 0
I don't understand why this hasn't been priority #1 to be honest. Doesn't matter what your FPS performance is when you're pinging 200-300+

Exactly.

Yoshiro said they are going to work on ping for their next patch, but my whole reason for this thread is to tell them that we need a fix for this NOW or ASAP. I see player counts STILL dropping every day and its because people cant even play the game properly on 50-64 player servers.

Whenever i get in a server with that many players its just pure lag with everyone's ping over 200 most the time, and the sad thing is the server admins are too ignorant and incompetent to understand that if they simply lower their player cap to 40ish it would temporarily alleviate the problem and at least be playable.

I just want this game to run well so i can have fun playing it with my friends, i LOVE this game and want it to be more popular so we can all have more fun.. but we MUST fix these priority issues with haste! before all the players are gone.

-plex

Upvote 0
I don't understand why this hasn't been priority #1 to be honest. Doesn't matter what your FPS performance is when you're pinging 200-300+
You guys are chasing a red herring with ping times, for two reasons.

First, there's very little Tripwire can do about it. Let's say they pull a miracle out of nowhere and somehow manage to double server performance. This is a wildly unrealistic outcome, but let's run with that. This allows every server to double their tick rate for no performance loss. A 20 tick server goes to 40, shaving the necessary server-side delays from 0-50ms to 0-25ms. Okay, smaller fluctuation is good, sure, but it's still just a 13ms average difference. Considering your typical intracontinental internet traffic is going to be at 100 to 150ms to begin with, you're only shaving 10% off of it. Yay? And that's for a best-case outcome on the code side of things.

Second, it shouldn't matter. The only reason there's a noticeable difference between 50ms and 150ms is because the game's networking is so crude that it leaves the job of latency compensation up to the player. RO2 is one of only a scant handful of first-person shooters in the last decade to take that design approach. Virtually everything else uses one of two decade-old methods of automatically compensating for latency, because a first-person shooter is, almost by definition, fast-paced enough to demand it for any case where ping is higher than zero. 50ms is enough to make your shots miss moving targets in RO2, but you can get on a server across the world in, let's say TF2 for example, and still land headshots on targets that move at roughly three times the speed that RO2's characters can, because TF2's programmed to handle 400ms better than RO2 can handle 50ms.

Tripwire could make a pact with the devil to magically halve the internet delay for their game, but as long as the networking model remains as simple as it is, that still wouldn't be a good enough solution on its own. Focusing on ping times is missing the real heart of the issue.

Also, yes, you're likely to find amazingly local servers in games that are hugely popular. Simple geographical distribution is going to be in your favor when a game has 1500 active servers instead of 30.

Upvote 0