• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[WIP] Enable Custom Characters Mutator

Right I haven't exactly been working on this recently and do apologise as i've had things pop up. My main dedicated server was severely hacked into and i've spent five days trying to fix it having to redo the lot. I will get back to this as soon as I can. I have got this fully tested and all works great.

By the way KF-Argentina your Mars Attacks Alien...taller then any other but looks so funny. I have found a problem with the files for it though. I'll PM you soon plus you actually didn't give me all files needed (Soldier_Skins.utx) so I had to get off of your server. The model wants this to load otherwise the server log gets spammed with "can't find Soldier_Skins.utx".

Upvote 0
Right I haven't exactly been working on this recently and do apologise as i've had things pop up. My main dedicated server was severely hacked into and i've spent five days trying to fix it having to redo the lot. I will get back to this as soon as I can. I have got this fully tested and all works great.

By the way KF-Argentina your Mars Attacks Alien...taller then any other but looks so funny. I have found a problem with the files for it though. I'll PM you soon plus you actually didn't give me all files needed (Soldier_Skins.utx) so I had to get off of your server. The model wants this to load otherwise the server log gets spammed with "can't find Soldier_Skins.utx".

If you look at the code you dont actually need that package you just need to use the texture files I gave you, but well.... never mind.

About that Specimen Skin I made it some months Ago:
shot01910.png

Just want to upload the Image before someone Steals my work like they done before :S

Upvote 0
Reactions: Benjamin
Upvote 0
smiling like a cheshire cat here :D
Im still not sure if I can actually "release" some characters ready made with the mutator so people can use them without having to make their own character mod files. The character authors have not replied back to me for weeks. Obviously credit will be given to them for creating the characters but...does this mean I can still give them out?

Don't worry kf-agentina your alien is safe and secured ;)

Upvote 0
Do you still have it that the characters are hard coded into the mod, or can be added via ini file?
If it's the hard-coded method, leave them out for now. You can always bring a later version out, which allows adding new ones, or when you have permission, included them in the mod and if you can add them, then just point people in the direction of the thread, they can then add them whenever they want.

p.s. The Stig is available, if you want some extra characters to add?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you still have it that the characters are hard coded into the mod, or can be added via ini file?
If it's the hard-coded method, leave them out for now. You can always bring a later version out, which allows adding new ones, or when you have permission, included them in the mod and if you can add them, then just point people in the direction of the thread, they can then add them whenever they want.
I have the mutator use the mutator ini file to add them into the game + what characters are usable. Im just worried an author may eventually reply and say "no you can't" but then i've used it already if you get me.

Upvote 0
Hey Flux, even if you don't continue with this, I still applaud your work and for getting as far as you did.
Also, doubly impressed that you saw the positive side of Marco releasing his version.
I am the reason Marco even did his version to be honest lol. He saw mine and noticed how I did it. Took away some of the files I used and altered it to access the characters in a different way. I would never of thought of how he did it because I don't understand it fully on creating my own code. Im still on the basics are altering ready made code and going from there. Im still thinking of how I can alter mine to be similar to his without using his code or releasing my beta version for now. I've been using it on my server for about two weeks (I think) and so far it's great. What can I really say, it was an experience and I learnt some things. I sort of learnt about replication for one yet I never needed it for my mutator lol.

Upvote 0
As the others said, well done mate, and I have mass respect for you being so cool with Marco.

I'll be honest, I think it was a ****ty move on his part, he knew you'd been working hard on this and he totally cut you off. Just because he happens to have more experience in this field, don't make it right to steal someone elses idea.

Flux, you will always be the man who made this idea and you deserve full credit, as far as this project, it is yours and yours alone.

Marco, sh!t move dude, respect gone bye bye.

This is why this community has gone down the p!ss pipe, back stabbing all over, these forums are poor, so very very poor.

You inspired one of the most respected community coders - job well done mate

Theres inspiring, then theres just stealing mate, If Flux had released the mod, then Marco went and made one, thats inspiration, not what Marco did, he's out of order in the big picture.

But if Flux is cool with it, so be it, he's the only one that counts here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As the others said, well done mate, and I have mass respect for you being so cool with Marco.

I'll be honest, I think it was a ****ty move on his part, he knew you'd been working hard on this and he totally cut you off. Just because he happens to have more experience in this field, don't make it right to steal someone elses idea.

Flux, you will always be the man who made this idea and you deserve full credit, as far as this project, it is yours and yours alone.

Marco, sh!t move dude, respect gone bye bye.

This is why this community has gone down the p!ss pipe, back stabbing all over, these forums are poor, so very very poor.

Theres inspiring, then theres just stealing mate, If Flux had released the mod, then Marco went and made one, thats inspiration, not what Marco did, he's out of order in the big picture.

But if Flux is cool with it, so be it, he's the only one that counts here.
Cheers mate. I have to be cool with it. He done a great job but yeah obviously im annoyed with it but what can I say/do? Nothing so i'll rather keep quiet if you get me. Dangercake has proof of how far I got on the mutator as he has been on my server and seen me and some others with other characters. Braindead had also used a first early version which worked. Ah well most of my stuff is staying private now until maybe finished or something that someone else isn't going to so (like characters - [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=71873[/URL]).

Upvote 0
Cheers mate. I have to be cool with it. He done a great job but yeah obviously im annoyed with it but what can I say/do? Nothing so i'll rather keep quiet if you get me. Dangercake has proof of how far I got on the mutator as he has been on my server and seen me and some others with other characters. Braindead had also used a first early version which worked. Ah well most of my stuff is staying private now until maybe finished or something that someone else isn't going to so (like characters - http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=71873[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=71873[/URL]).

Ya see why me and Hemi walked away from KF now.

Like I said mate, you will always be the man who made this mod, not Marco, and like I said, big respect for you for being cool about the situation, see you have the ideas, Marco aint got jack all of his own, so he has to steal them.

Sadly no, we can't do anything about it, fools like Marco will always exist, and with no one with power pulling strings, its a lost cause.

If I was you mate, I'd turn your attention to another game or another project and keep it away from the forums, only ask those you trust for help, and over all, prove the D!CK faced gremlins that your the bigger and better man.

Upvote 0
Ya see why me and Hemi walked away from KF now.

Like I said mate, you will always be the man who made this mod, not Marco, and like I said, big respect for you for being cool about the situation, see you have the ideas, Marco aint got jack all of his own, so he has to steal them.

Sadly no, we can't do anything about it, fools like Marco will always exist, and with no one with power pulling strings, its a lost cause.

If I was you mate, I'd turn your attention to another game or another project and keep it away from the forums, only ask those you trust for help, and over all, prove the D!CK faced gremlins that your the bigger and better man.

Actually I had been planning this long before anyone mentioned anything about custom characters, but if this really bothers you I can remove it from my mutator again.

So as for now I am taking down the link until futher notice, but I'll keep hosting V4 one.

Reactions: HuNteR-
Upvote 0