• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A New Player Guide

All i can say is: Play as if you were there.
Forget what other mp shooters have taught you, go in with an open mind. Play as if your life was on the line. Follow more experienced players, see what they do. One could single out the clan fellows so follow them, i can only assume most of them would know how to play :p
Move from cover to cover, take your time to scout the terrain before moving on.

Most important aspect of combat in RO is to see without being seen, to see before being seen.
This is how you play RO. Like you are a soldier. Let the adrenaline tell you how well you are doing.

A good infantryman uses his eyes, keep looking around, look for movement, patterns of colors that are off, silhouettes. Those are the keys to finding the enemy.

Think before you move. In a fire zone, move from cover to cover. Concealment is good, but cover stops bullets.

Firing a rifle is the same as in real life. Lead your target, at long distance raise the sights a bit higher.

In RO, as in real life, what can be seen can be hit. What can be hit can be killed.

Oh, and remember, don't draw fire while you are near me. It's annoying.

;)

Upvote 0
This is how you play RO. Like you are a soldier. Let the adrenaline tell you how well you are doing.

A good infantryman uses his eyes, keep looking around, look for movement, patterns of colors that are off, silhouettes. Those are the keys to finding the enemy.

Think before you move. In a fire zone, move from cover to cover. Concealment is good, but cover stops bullets.

Firing a rifle is the same as in real life. Lead your target, at long distance raise the sights a bit higher.

In RO, as in real life, what can be seen can be hit. What can be hit can be killed.

Oh, and remember, don't draw fire while you are near me. It's annoying.

;)

Yeah, as of right now, I think I'm getting it. Managed to hit someone from all the way across the LangerMarket and surrounding area the other day.

Also, did I draw fire to you in a recent game, or are you just saying that in general? I'd hate to ruin someones game experience here:eek:

Upvote 0
With an mg use the additional bullets to your advantage, fire quick spurts and take into account that recoil raises your iron sight so initially aiming slightly below the player and letting it climb automatically slightly can help you with aiming.

YOu have to aim lower with the mg42 through. Also, it depends on you plan on getting involved in CC since the mg34 is suited for that better due to you beign able to hipshoot it...( given you dont feel comfortable with the luger that is )

Upvote 0
Only take bolt classes, or SMGs if they're plentiful (i.e. Lyes Krovy)... turn your resolution up as far as your computer can handle it without any lag, and look for little dots on the horizon to shoot at. Don't bolt immediately after you fire so you can see by how much you missed and adjust your lead. Once you got it down, you can bolt immediately after firing. And don't think bolts are the "worst weapon" or something. I take it probably 80-90% of the time by choice. It's deadly once you learn to aim. When you do pick up something else, SMG, semi-auto etc. learn to know its ideal range. Don't waste your time trying to fire an MP40 at a bolter 200 meters away. You're better off zig zagging from cover to cover and closing with him. Same with semi-autos (longer range than SMGs obviously, but not one shot one kill like bolts at pixel shooting range generally)

Oh and get in the capzones. Yes you have a rifle, but you can still one-shot a dude with a 71 mag PPSh if you're lucky (hip shooting just comes with practice). Don't sit back and take potshots. Especially if you're a newbie, you're just wasting ammo/time/your life cause you can't shoot for crap for at least a month (much longer for many). It's different for a dude who's been playing for 5 years and has pixel shooting down pat. (though everyone should always be advancing of course... unless you're defending, though personally I like to "defend" a lot of times by getting on the extreme flanks and shooting them from behind from behind a bush or something with a captured enemy weapon---so the sound doesn't give me away)

One piece of advice. If you come across another bolter within say 25 meters... don't try to stop and aim, hip shoot and charge him (I always attach bayo). I've killed so many dudes that tried to aim at me like that it's ridiculous. At that range ironsights are more of a hindrance than anything. If you stop it makes you a very easy target for hipshooting. Keep moving sideways or whatever, fire, then rush in and stab his *** if you missed. (make sure you're sprinting when you do, if you hit him without sprinting it usually won't kill him, you'll need 2 stabs).

Learn to throw nades. Nades are crucial. Learn to get them into windows, learn to airburst them (by cooking them) over trenches. Remember you can bounce them off walls (durh). Generally you always wanna cook your nade at least a second or two unless you're going for a really long toss, otherwise it gives whatever bad guys near it a second to prone dive behind a piece of furniture or something.

Oh and don't even think about taking sniper, squad leader, AT soldier, MGer, or tanker (if it's a map like Leningrad with one or two tanks... if it's arad obviously go for it if you want), or people will verbally rape you over chat and VOIP.

If you wanna practice those weapons, practice in SP, or, the better method, follow the sniper/whatever around and when he dies pick it up and try to do something with it. (not bolting immediately after firing with a scope is especially helpful as it's very easy to see where you bullet landed and how far off the mark you were so you can adjust for the next shot).

Unfortunately the bots travel in more or less straight lines or very predictable patterns so it's not very good sniper practice for newbies...

As for bolt shooting. I've found always shooting one pixel (in ironsights) below the target almost always gets the kill when the target is 150+ meters away. Of course it's different at dif ranges, but that's just a general rule of thumb, could be helpful :).

Also, don't use voice commands EVER if you're somewhere where the enemy doesn't know you're there. If you're in opposing trenches/buildings/whatevers and there's bullets flying everywhere and nades going off constantly that's different... but if you yell some retarded crap while you're creeping around you're just giving yourself (and nearby teammates) up basically.

Oh ya other thing, if you see a big pile of nice shiny weapons, sniper, MG, whatever and they're all in the same spot, DONT GO THERE. RESIST THE TEMPTATION. Should be obvious but it's hilarious how many times I see people on pub servers do this and get shot over and over by some dude with that spot ranged in perfectly.

Last little thing. Prone diving. Very useful. DH has mantling now, but prone diving is still faster. Just sprint, and hit the prone key at the exact moment you're about to run into the object. You'll land on top of it. Very useful (though considered an exploit a lot of times in clan matches, but in pub servers, who cares).

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot this. RO shooting 101, always always always try to shoot from a supported position if possible. Especially as a newbie you won't be able to get a good shot off while your gun is swaying. Even the PPSh with its insane recoil turns into a mini-MG when you're prone and have it on the crest of a hill or something. Turns into a death dealing machine even at range. Always keep an eye out for supported positions while you're running around.

I'd also recommend fiddling with the mouse sensitivity settings till you're happy with it. It makes a big difference. Personally I use 2.25.

Well that was long. Hope you get something out of it.

Oh and don't be a dumbass and block doors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just aim a bit lower with the russian "kickstarter" smgs, or during walking/fireing aim down during the bursts. You will get used to spray and pray soon enough.

As for attached bayo. I have read something that it influences the accuracy, but it seems so marginal to dismiss the effect. ( i might be wrong in the facts, but i never felt it massivly to tell really. ')

Upvote 0
Just aim a bit lower with the russian "kickstarter" smgs, or during walking/fireing aim down during the bursts. You will get used to spray and pray soon enough.

As for attached bayo. I have read something that it influences the accuracy, but it seems so marginal to dismiss the effect. ( i might be wrong in the facts, but i never felt it massivly to tell really. ')
I always have the weird fantasy that when you attach the bayonet, you show a distrust towards the functioning of your rifle and aiming-skill which causes bad luck in shooting your enemies.

Upvote 0
Use your ears. You can tell from the direction and actual sound of footsteps when someone is approaching. You can hear pins being pulled on grenades, bayonets being fixed, magazines being changed- all things that tell you when to make a move.

You mentioned Langermarkt, so I'll use Danzig as an example. The apartments between the bridgeheads and Langermarkt are a great ambush spot due to the tight confines. As a German, you can wait at the stairs to the second floor and listen to footsteps as they go from pavement to wood, signifying an enemy has entered the building. With the appropriate weapon (STG44, G43, MP40), you can simply sweep around the corner and surprise your enemy as they try to pass. If you have something less than ideal for close quarters, use grenades. Laying prone makes you a small target at the top of the stairs, and even with a bolt action rifle I've managed to do some crippling damage inside those apartments.

As mentioned before, don't use the voice commands often if at all- I prefer to use VOIP. However, let the enemy use them all day- helps you to pinpoint their locations and either better attack or avoid them.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30130Also:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30130

Last edited:
Upvote 0
he, i first realized on danzig how great the sound was implented. Just got some mediocre 5.1 headset back than and could hear someone walking through a puddle down there on the street and could exactly tell what direction hes moving. Absolute WTF moment...loved that. :D

One definetly gets used to read the battlefield on the back of your mind through sound alone.

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0