• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why RO2 'failed'

Sway: No you are right there isn't a whole lot of sway in weapons while standing or crouched. Guess what in real life a trained soldier can fire his rifle accurately whether standing, kneeling, or prone with very little to no sway.

I think you are misunderstanding the major point regarding sway: Maybe the feature is unrealistic, or not. But what you learned during your infantry training is what is given to each player if there is no sway. What the majority of the "Sway supporters" are actually suggesting is to make people learn how to compensate sway and gain skill, rather than being a trained combatant from the 1st minute on.
And no game on earth is so immersive that it makes the player be scared as if he was in combat and so, losing accuracy. In real life, when you were under fire in Iraq, I bet that you also lost accuracy. In a game, where bullets are not life-ending, where there is no fear of death, sway is in my eyes, the best thing to force this on players.

I know that many of you feel betrayed by game changes and different mechanics, but for hell sake get over it!

So, misleading buyers is such a small issue, that you simply should get over it? Ok, tell you what: I want to buy a BMW 7 with 380 horsepower, which was promised to me by the sales person. After buying it, I find out that it only has 180 horsepower. Am I right that I should just "get over it"?:confused:

Upvote 0
If this is failure, then I am having fun!

Agreed.... I'm enjoying the game, play it as often as I can, waiting for new maps, weapons and vehicles.

All the haters can keep on hating.... all the complainers can keep on complaining. I originally had some sympathy for their plight, tried to present some suggestions or solutions to make the game work more to what they want....

.... But now I couldn't be fk'd what they want or don't want, I don't care if all you RO1 Vet Moaners never play RO2 again and I hope Tripwire ignores your petty & childish crying.

More and more people are picking up the game, whom never once played RO before, and I even provided a post listing a number of threads from the Steam forums (which has far more RO2 haters than in here) from all the new players to RO and the greater majority of those who just started playing RO2 actually love it, are addicted to it, have no serious issues with the game and are looking forward to new content.

That's what tripwire needs.... more new players who enjoy the game as it is, so they can quickly flush the rest of the self-entitled RO1 Vets out into a distant memory.

It's not like they're contributing anything to the community anymore other than complaining things aren't the way they want them & constantly spam every thread with the same old complaints over and over again, as if they'll make any sort of difference.

Gameplay is almost perfect Trip.... Performance is almost fully optimized, just need a few tweaks here and there and then all the new content can be added.

Looking forward to it, keep up the good work and don't let the minority get you down.

Most people left either due to other games they were waiting for, performance issues which are almost resolved or just waiting for new content..... once the new content starts coming into the game, the masses will follow.

Forget what the doom and gloom'sayers say, they don't know wtf they're talking about.

The thread title shouldn't be "Why RO2 Failed" it should be "Why the RO1 Vets Failed"

RO2 has already been more successful than RO1 and it's only a couple of months old & no mods yet.... which means it has plenty of time to become even more successful.

Regardless of what the RO1 Vets want to moan about, RO2 can only go up from here. RO2 was impacted by the bugs at launch, not because it didn't match RO1 Vet's expectations..... RO1 Vets are not the majority of the population, no matter how much they want to pump their importance up.

Bring on the neg reps.

Upvote 0
All the haters can keep on hating.... all the complainers can keep on complaining. I originally had some sympathy for their plight, tried to present some suggestions or solutions to make the game work more to what they want....

.... But now I couldn't be fk'd what they want or don't want, I don't care if all you RO1 Vet Moaners never play RO2 again and I hope Tripwire ignores your petty & childish crying.

Cpt-Praxius, your sympathy is not needed. I guess, nobody complaining here wants the sympathy of anybody on this forum. They far more want the game that they thought they were buying!

What surprises me is that you claim that you loved the game during its mod days much more than when it became the OF 41-45 release. You actually said that you liked the mod more because it was more immersive and OF 41-45 was dumbed down from the mod. I even agree on that a bit, because I think that OF 41-45 was a bit simpler but only in a slight, acceptable way.
What I then don't understand is that you are so convinced of RO 2. Because as far as I see it, RO 2 is far more easy (some call it accessible) and dumbed down than RO-mod or OF 41-45.

I still say that RO 2 is a diamond in the rough. It has all potential to become the super awesome game that I thought it will be. But this requires a lot of finetuning. Finetuning that I understood wouldn't be needed when listening/reading how the game was advertised. And I am not talking about bugs or performance. I am talking gameplay mechanics.

Nobody and I mean, nobody, including "=7Cav=OIFVET101" a real US veteran with combat experience in Iraq is able to run 100meters, pull his gun from his shoulder, aim, shoot and hit a target 150m away with a 99% accuracy All that in 1 second. This is portrayed in RO 2 and it's bollocks.

Again: sway might be unrealistic in a certain way, but it leads to realistic results in the game when it comes to accuracy.

More and more people are picking up the game, whom never once played RO before, and I even provided a post listing a number of threads from the Steam forums (which has far more RO2 haters than in here) from all the new players to RO and the greater majority of those who just started playing RO2 actually love it, are addicted to it, have no serious issues with the game and are looking forward to new content.

Are you counting all the 900 of them? Deduct the around 10 guys I played with yesterday, that I know from OF 41-45 and from the mod days. Deduct me as well. I am playing because it's the only shooter I have interest in. It's far from perfect. As a matter of fact, it's close to perfect, but with some flaws that would be so easy to eraze to make it perfect. Some small changes and tadaa, here we go. Up to now, this is not delivered. And it looks like most of the players that purchased the game also don't like it for a long time. Or are you trying to say that except the disappointed VETS (stupid description imho) the majority of buyers like the game as is?

That's what tripwire needs.... more new players who enjoy the game as it is, so they can quickly flush the rest of the self-entitled RO1 Vets out into a distant memory.

Yes, true. They really need to find more players that love the game as is and who are willing to stick with it. Looks like they are not numerous, to keep it in nice words.

It's not like they're contributing anything to the community anymore other than complaining things aren't the way they want them & constantly spam every thread with the same old complaints over and over again, as if they'll make any sort of difference.

This is such a stupid statement mate. People are complaining and suggesting, BECAUSE THEY DO CARE. They want to enjoy RO 2 which they can't at the moment. And they want more people to enjoy it, so that they have somebody to play with in 12 months or more. And OF 41-45 had more players 3 months after release than HOS has now. Believe me. I was there.

The impression people have is that their complaints are not taken seriously as dev statements regarding this are rare. I totally agree with you that some people could bring up their criticism in a more decent way, but I am not the one to point that out or comment on it.

Performance is almost fully optimized, just need a few tweaks here and there and then all the new content can be added..

Granted for me at least. My system seems to be fully utilized now, performace wise. I am not complaining about this anymore.

once the new content starts coming into the game, the masses will follow.

I doubt it, we will see.

Forget what the doom and gloom'sayers say, they don't know wtf they're talking about.

And this statement is just stupid. I think that most of the guys complaining do exactly know wtf they are talking about. They probably play the game longer than most others here, participated in the beta and have been more valuable on feedback to TWI than you and me will ever be. I am talking about guys like Zetsumei, hockeywarrior, LemoN and bswearer (last 2 guys some probably only know from stories).

The thread title shouldn't be "Why RO2 Failed" it should be "Why the RO1 Vets Failed".

This is just insulting. As much insulting as it is that your posts are getting downvoted the whole time, no matter the content.

RO2 has already been more successful than RO1 and it's only a couple of months old & no mods yet.... which means it has plenty of time to become even more successful.

No I am not a developer for Rising Storm, nor do I have any contact to them or insight knowledge on their team. But I am pretty sure that they are worrying quite a bit if their efforts are going to pay out, given the disappointment and rage that they have read in this forum and elsewhere. And based on the steam stats, I am very certain that they are worrying to produce their MOD for 900 active players (granted, make it 3000 players recognizing time zones etc.).
I will surely not buy Rising Storm out of the blind. I will wait to see what friends I trust say about it. No pre-order and no blind purchase. I know it's not fair to that dev team, but experience has taught me a lesson.

Regardless of what the RO1 Vets want to moan about, RO2 can only go up from here.

That's very true. It's hard to believe that they will make it even worse, communication wise, design-choice wise and gameplay wise.

I stay with what I said before: the game still has all potential to become "THE FPS". If only some of the choices would have lesser to none impact, it would be this way.

And as much as I think that you have every right to write down that you love the game, give that god damn right to everybody with another opinion. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The OP may be a tad overly dramatic, but simply selling a lot of copies doesn't mean there hasn't been a massive exodus of players.

While I don't fully agree with the Ostfront vs RO2 realism arguement, I fully believe that trying to please two very disperate gamer populations wasn't the best direction.

I would've hoped that RO2 relied on being different and fresh to stand on its own with the big boys, rather than going out of it's way to try and win over fans of other games.

As far as the "realism" arguement, I find RO2 to posseses about the same level of realism that Ostfront has. The only things that have changed are which specific mechanics are realistic/unrealistic.

As for me personally, the sole reason I'm not playing RO2 non-stop is the unlock/stat progression mechanics.

i totally agree, i absolutely hate the unlock stat progression stuff and i dont think it should ever have been put in the game.

Upvote 0
Yes I have seen men in combat take hits and due to adrenaline they still do some amazing things in combat while under fire. Truth is adrenaline plus the will to survive is the trump card!

The majority of arguments aren't about "realism," they are about how RO2 fails to deliver the GAMEPLAY we came to love in RO.

As for "realism," I don't care that some combat troops can hold steady under fire and make astonishing shots. Besides a very few guys like Alvin York and Audie Murphy, no real soldier kills the number of enemies over the course of an entire real war that anyone in a game does virtually in an hour.

I'd be very happy to play a 45 minute round with a good team and make only a couple of good shots and take the objectives, having fun with friends. The run 'n gun b.s. belongs in any of those games that I never bought because they didn't come close to delivering the experience I got from RO.

Last edited:
Reactions: HLudwig and GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
All the haters can keep on hating.... all the complainers can keep on complaining. I originally had some sympathy for their plight, tried to present some suggestions or solutions to make the game work more to what they want....But now I couldn't be fk'd what they want or don't want, I don't care if all you RO1 Vet Moaners never play RO2 again and I hope Tripwire ignores your petty & childish crying.

1264943170393.jpg

Upvote 0
http://steamcommunity.com/stats/RedOrchestra/achievements/

Original RO was also down to 8% of it's playerbase playing actively (IE, over 100 kills). Your point?

And achievements we're added to RO1 in, what late 2009, early 2010 ? Cant remember for sure, anyways that's 3+ years after release it's down to 8% of its player base. RO2 has been out 3 months, and it's down to less than 10%.

I hope the upcoming dlc/mods are good, because this game needs them to survive.

Reactions: Apos and palco
Upvote 0
Or, perhaps the majority of RO2 players who frequent here are sick and tired of the nit-picking and repetitive slagging from the same old few. Eh?

Enough is enough.

Personally? I am enjoying RO2... and play every day. :)

Most are only hoping for a gameplay mode that they feel was sold to them from TWI. The mode, not the whole game. Count me in that bunch although I still feel the game still has promise.

Besides, Cpt-Praxius took to bashing a group of players, many who have made sensible suggestions in the hopes of improving the game.

Upvote 0
Most are only hoping for a gameplay mode that they feel was sold to them from TWI. The mode, not the whole game. Count me in that bunch although I still feel the game still has promise.

Besides, Cpt-Praxius took to bashing a group of players, many who have made sensible suggestions in the hopes of improving the game.

You make good points but it is tiring to read the same things from the same people...... over and over and over again in thread after thread.

As I said, enough is enough. The repetitive negativity is wearing thin.

Personally? I am enjoying RO2... and play every day.
:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Repetitive positivity is wearing thin as well. People bring up a topic because they want to talk about it. The amount of people responding to those topics show that people are feeling like continuing to discuss it. Even though most things have already been said.

If you feel that the discussion is not adding anything to the forums, then simply don't reply. If you think you have something to say then post that. But by posting in the same thread with your personal opinion does not make your opinion any better than that of other people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethall
Upvote 0
For me personally the game did not fail. I enjoy it mostly but there are still so many bugs and some even seem to have returned from the beta like shooting blanks and being unable to reload, tank AI and of course the netcode.

I really like the reduction of assault class but wonder who needs 6 SL in a team especially if there are tanks as well. Are more than 4 needed? And if yes should that not open up after the squads filled up?

My biggest concern atm is the latency. Play on an almost empty server with a ping of 50 ms and a bolt rifle and it is so much fun except not much going on. Do the same on any 64 player server and it is not half as much fun as it is almost impossible to compensate the current lag and to lead the shot. It is guessing not aiming.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
If you feel that the discussion is not adding anything to the forums, then simply don't reply. If you think you have something to say then post that. But by posting in the same thread with your personal opinion does not make your opinion any better than that of other people.
While I agree with you, there is something else to add - action causes a response. Dislikers post things and demand changes. Major changes, I'd add, if we talk about turning RO2 into ROOst. Likers are trying to preserve the status quo while allowing only slight changes (something between RO2 and ROOst) and thus battling the dislikers by preventing these forums from being filled with dislike posts only. They feel the need to present different point of view from their counterparts. That's why for each negative post you'll see someone saying something positive and vice versa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I agree with you there is something else to add - action causes a response. Dislikers post things and demand changes. Major changes, I'd add, if we talk about turning RO2 into ROOst. Likers are trying to preserve the status quo while allowing only slight changes (something between RO2 and ROOst) and thus battling the dislikers by preventing these forums from being filled with dislike posts only. They feel the need to present different point of view from their counterparts. That's why for each negative post you'll see someone saying something positive and vice versa.

Keep in mind there are two modes (not counting custom) and I think those wanting a more ROOST like experience would be happy if they got that in the Realism mode and everything else would be left the same for those players that like the Relaxed version. Very few if any are asking for both modes to turn into a ROOST Experience.

Upvote 0