• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code [Help] Custom Characters In Menu

FluX

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
www.fluxiserver.co.uk
Right sorry I know another help thread by me...

Basically I have unlocked the menu to use all characters even if you haven't unlocked them (works online too). The problem im having is adding my own characters into the list as I have no idea how to:
1.) Send the client the character information.
2.) Set it up.

I have a ready made extended PlayerRecordClass file of a reskin ready. I can only get things to work through a UPL file BUT this is only client side and does not affect the server in any way. Marco has given some great advise which was:

you need to write some kind of network replication to add own characters to the menu

I have no idea how to do this (specially the replication part). Can I have some help on this?

The same way I did with the perks in serverperks...
Could you point me to the specific files you're talking about? I've been through 100's of files looking through to do with the character menu or listing trying to find a way to add them manually and spent atleast 5 hours a day. I just can't seem to find anything. :eek: I mean the character list part for the menu as I have no idea how to add my own inside the actualy menu. I'll try figure out the replication on my own from your ServerPerks.

Simple terms: How do I grab the character list and replace it with my own? I'll be using your TraderInventory/WeaponCategories as my example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you saying you've found a way to unlock all the characters skins without paying for them? And it works online?

If so I suggest treading very carefully and informing TWI privately what you've done and how you achieved it. I can't see them looking kindly on someone unlocking assets without paying for them. Especially if they then then post online how to do so.

I know all you were trying to do were add your custom chars to the skin selection screen and I'm sure they'll understand if you explain it.

Upvote 0
Are you saying you've found a way to unlock all the characters skins without paying for them? And it works online?

If so I suggest treading very carefully and informing TWI privately what you've done and how you achieved it. I can't see them looking kindly on someone unlocking assets without paying for them. Especially if they then then post online how to do so.

I know all you were trying to do were add your custom chars to the skin selection screen and I'm sure they'll understand if you explain it.
I have found a way round it yes BUT it will only work on the server that has this code inside of it. At the current moment I have changed parts of the ServerPerks mutator from Marco's with a few extended files to make this. I was not actually trying to achieve this originally as like you said, I wanted to try fit the custom characters to work on their own. It does work online aswel but the code I put up on how to do it is not fully complete and I will remove this later now that you have said this as I can understand that point of view. The characters will only unlock on this server ONLY as it only affects the character list through the perk selection (before spawning). This will not be unlocked when you leave the server and will be the same as it always is.

TWI if you would like to find out how to do this then please contact me and i'll explain how I did it.

I would still like to be given help with the custom characters in the menu as I can't find how to add them to the list. The replication data I will find a way to do this myself seems I have been reading up on it and looking at Marco's ServerPerks mutator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IIRC Braindead had a discussion with one of the devs in regards to this during the making of the Stig skin.

And chances are that the mut is downloaded to the clients cache, from there it could be decompiled and rewritten just to unlock skins.

And if I were you PM one of them, don't leave it to chance that'll they'll find your thread.

Upvote 0
IIRC Braindead had a discussion with one of the devs in regards to this during the making of the Stig skin.

And chances are that the mut is downloaded to the clients cache, from there it could be decompiled and rewritten just to unlock skins.

And if I were you PM one of them, don't leave it to chance that'll they'll find your thread.
Yeah that is a good point. I'll get onto this when I can so I can describe everything if need to be. Any chance you can help us out on this menu thing? :p I really can't find which files lol.

EDIT: I have removed all the code I used so no one will know. I also Have PMed Yoshiro about this just so you know. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right I have got this working offline AND to have the characters show up in the menu online. The only problem I have got now is getting the player to use the character online. What I mean is, I can see the picture in the menu, I click it and it shows the character in the spinning mode like normal. When I click save it also shows the characters portrait. When I click ready to start, it gives me a random character but in solo it shows the character like it should.

Just before you watch the videos, I have NOT bought any of the character OR done the achievements for the Baddest Santa & SteamPunk Mr.Foster.
Showing the custom characters in play:
http://www.xfire.com/video/4f021b/http://www.xfire.com/video/4f021b/

If anyone could help me with the multiplayer section to this, i'd be glad to give them the code etc on how to get this to work. Please, please help me out on this! :p I have no clue about replication and i've even looked at examples but still have not got a clue on how i'd do these characters.

EDIT: I have fixed it all. I had the fix there all along for my server but I forgot to add the mutator on lol. Thanks for those who gave support :) I may make a stand alone mutator that I will release but this depends on how much time I have and well you know lol

Upvote 0
@KF-Argentina - If it's possible, can I have a look at your characters so I can maybe put them on my server mainly for testing purposes? I would like to test a fully custom character (with custom models etc). If you get a download list or something please tell me and i'll get this tested straight away but the stand alone mutator will take some time as I got my own mutator to still fiddle about a bit (custom SMG perk and bug fixing my P90 etc). Im glad someone is interested. :)

Upvote 0
@KF-Argentina - If it's possible, can I have a look at your characters so I can maybe put them on my server mainly for testing purposes? I would like to test a fully custom character (with custom models etc). If you get a download list or something please tell me and i'll get this tested straight away but the stand alone mutator will take some time as I got my own mutator to still fiddle about a bit (custom SMG perk and bug fixing my P90 etc). Im glad someone is interested. :)

Sure Just wait for me till I get home so I can PM you with a Link with the files, wich ones do you need? animations and textures obviously but, any code of the info of the skins and mesh?

Upvote 0
Sure Just wait for me till I get home so I can PM you with a Link with the files, wich ones do you need? animations and textures obviously but, any code of the info of the skins and mesh?
I only need the major files without the code. This pretty much is the animations and textures. The system file is different and is pretty much the same as your trader character mutator you made but with so much less code.

Upvote 0
Right I want to make this easier for my server purpose seems it's towards the custom character design. How exactly can I make the AvailableChars array inside KFMod.KFGametype (or a custom gametype) configurable so I can add them to my liking inside an ini? I can easily set up a mutator to use my chosen created settings to be edited BUT this isn't a mutator so I thought I better ask incase what im thinking may work.

My idea: make the gametype use the config (so and so) and do the normal ini code setting to use AvaiableChars. Will this work?

Reason im asking is cause I have to go work and I would like to set it up just before I have to go bed (up for 04:00 in morning tomorrow :( ).

EDIT:
Yes and made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0