• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suppression HeartBeat getting anoying?

I think it's meant more as a "feeling" of your heartbeat rather than hearing it, but even then it doesn't make sense, with bullets whipping around your head your heartbeat is the least of your concerns.

I have 2 notes on this to make it seem more like "feeling" than hearing:

1. Firstly, the sound effect of the heartbeat should have a lot of bass, but little treble. You don't want it to sound like a drum. However with the bass up and treble down, and with a good sound system, you will be able to "feel" the heartbeat, and it not be distracting with treble.

With high treble the sound will be competing with other high treble sounds like gun shots and voices, which is unrealistic to drown out with the sound of heartbeat. High bass - low treble will allow the player to be aware of the heartbeat without it drowning out other sounds or being over-bearing.

2. Have the players vision "pulse" slightly with the heartbeat during strong suppression. Pulsing would also be a more subtle visual disruption than blurred vision. The pulsing would be an interesting aspect to firing while suppressed (not that pulsing should happen all the time), as you would have to factor the timing of both your breathing, and the pulses (especially if there was minor recoil on every heartbeat/vision pulse)

On that note, are players going to be able to hold their breath while heavily suppressed? I imagine it would be pretty hard to have control over breathing with adrenalin pumping at full whack.

-------------------------------------

On a suppression related note, I don't like the desaturation they're currently going with for suppression.

At the moment, colour drains but your vision stays okay. With grey-out/tunnel vision, its not so much colour disappearing, as the vision itself.

Just having colour disappear A) isn't realistic B) isn't a real disadvantage like tunnel vision/grey outs are.

TWI staff should try lying down for a while then sitting up really fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like to see the difference between the cumulative surpression and immediate surpression more drawn out. When munitions land or explode near you there should be an immediate spike of say 3 units of surpression, this would quickly dissapate away, at the same time adding one unit of surpression to the cumulative surpression which lasts much longer. Say the dissapation times would be one unit of immediate surpression every five seconds, and one unit of cumulative surpression every 20 seconds. As a player gains in levels and experience their immediate surpression would decrease a bit, but the cumulative and long lasting effects would only change marginally or not at all.
With the immediate surpression scale going from zero to one hundred, cumulative being zero to five hundred.
The more surpressed a player is, the less extra surpression effects them ( IF a MG 42 is firing 3 inches above your head, you dont care about the guy with the mp40 ) making it harder to max out a players surpression values.
Also certain actions can reduce surpression at an excelerated rate. Heroes in the vicinity, other teammates in the vicinity, firing back on your attackers, killing attackers who have dealt large ammounts of surpression to your group ( shooting a sniper / machinegunner ), or just shotting back and dealing surpression to the enemy. Note that many of these actions that decrease surpression should act in an opposite way to the idea of immediate surpression. They should take out a larger chunk, call it immediate un-surpression, which should then decay into a smaller decrease in the cumulative surpression. So the players could take out the machinegun / riflemen shooting at them, have their "aww yeah" moment, and later realize "wow sh*t that was close, almost died back there"

The effects of immediate surpression at 100 would be roughly two to three times worse then the effects of cumulative surpression at 500.
Immediate at 100 is the player having trouble moving, somewhat blurred visison, representative of multiple close grenade explosions, mortar or artiellery fire. cumulative surpression at 500 is the player breathing heavily, having reduced aim, perhaps lower stamina.

This sounds like an interesting idea, just a few questions. Will the immediate unsuppression take away from the cumulative suppression for a period then equalize a bit later? How long would it take for the cumulative suppression to dissipate?

Id think that cumulative suppression should dissipate over 3 minutes or so, (rounds are only 15 minutes and you are rarely out of action after your first engagement for more that 3 minutes) and the unsuppression (assuming its strong enough), should detract from the effects of cumulative suppression, at least a little bit, to allow for the hyperfocus that the adrenalin causes

I have 2 notes on this to make it seem more like "feeling" than hearing:

1. Firstly, the sound effect of the heartbeat should have a lot of bass, but little treble. You don't want it to sound like a drum. However with the bass up and treble down, and with a good sound system, you will be able to "feel" the heartbeat, and it not be distracting with treble.

With high treble the sound will be competing with other high treble sounds like gun shots and voices, which is unrealistic to drown out with the sound of heartbeat. High bass - low treble will allow the player to be aware of the heartbeat without it drowning out other sounds or being over-bearing.

maybe... sounds pretty good on paper, id love to hear the two subbed in side by side to see if it makes a difference/works

2. Have the players vision "pulse" slightly with the heartbeat during strong suppression. Pulsing would also be a more subtle visual disruption than blurred vision. The pulsing would be an interesting aspect to firing while suppressed (not that pulsing should happen all the time), as you would have to factor the timing of both your breathing, and the pulses (especially if there was minor recoil on every heartbeat/vision pulse)

how exactly would you visualize that ingame? I think that it might even be worse than blurred vision...

On that note, are players going to be able to hold their breath while heavily suppressed? I imagine it would be pretty hard to have control over breathing with adrenalin pumping at full whack.

Id hope not...

Upvote 0
This sounds like an interesting idea, just a few questions. Will the immediate unsuppression take away from the cumulative suppression for a period then equalize a bit later? How long would it take for the cumulative suppression to dissipate?

Id think that cumulative suppression should dissipate over 3 minutes or so, (rounds are only 15 minutes and you are rarely out of action after your first engagement for more that 3 minutes) and the unsuppression (assuming its strong enough), should detract from the effects of cumulative suppression, at least a little bit, to allow for the hyperfocus that the adrenalin causes

The immediate 'unsurpression' would have the a mirrored effect to immediate surpression in that it would drop your immediate surpression and also lower your cumulative surpression.

Cumulative surpression is basically the longer lasting effects of surpresison, meant to make it not look gamey. ie " oh phooey im getting shot at, im surpressed, *10 seconds later* I SH*T EXCELLENCE! ". The idea was to make its effects something the player can easily play through but will still have an effect on their overall capabilities. The original numbers I thought up would probably lead to cumulative surpression taking a long time to completely dissapate, most of its noticable effects for game purposes should dissapate within one to three minutes. That being said it's dissapation could be left at a very slow rate if player actions have a large effect on it. So to expand on what the ammount of unsurpressing things I suggested earlier, you could add to that, capping objectives, seeing enemy assets destroyed (recon plane, armour etc), shooting at enemies, killing enemies, etc.

Upvote 0
while playing paintball(yes i refer to it cause its pretty close to the real thing cause paintballs leave a mark and hurt bad,and one having the RPM of a MG42 and its 10 feet away is scary stuff), i hear my breath more than my heart when im running,but when i stop running i hear my heart as if their was abunch of speakers in my ears.
~new idea,
While Moving you hear your guy panting,breathing loudly
While Recovering From Moviing you hear your guys heartbeat with the faint sound of your guy taking deep breaths,
While Crouching/Laying/standing still, hear your heartbeat how it is now,
go a couple runs around the building then record the sounds of the person weezing and panting and theirs your sounds lol

Paintball close to the real thing? Please tell me you are joking.

Edit: What are you basing paintball being "close to the real thing"?

Last edited:
Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
Probably pretty close to the real thing looking at breath and heartbeat (if that would be so) as that was what he spoke about. No need to rage echutter, his comparison is OK.

No rage as being shown here. Don't know why you made that up.

Of course many physical activites can get adrenaline pumping. But to say that it is close to the 'real thing' is obviously not true. But yes it will get your heart beating.

Upvote 0
But to say that it is close to the 'real thing' is obviously not true. But yes it will get your heart beating.
Closest thing to getting shot at.
Paintballs wissing by you,knowing its going to hurt really bad,making you slightly affraid of getting shot,sprinting as fast as you can to avoid getting hit and loosing the battle, running at first you pant,sprinting for long periods of time,espesilly since im certain 99% of soldiers wernt olympic sprinters. running past the point of being tired makes your heart beat.

Upvote 0