• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Inventory System in RO2?

Hmm.. you should be able to sprint, even with 2 weapons, but not as long as with one weapon!

I like the idea. An inventory would be really nice, i think, that it would be best if you could pick up weapons from the ground.
For example: You spawn with a rifle, and there is a smg on the ground, you could pick it up so you have a rifle & a smg.
But if you do that, you won't be fast as before, and you can't sprint so long.
:IS2:

Reactions: samol
Upvote 0
The name's Roland, and I fully endorse an inventory system.

That's a huge part of what makes ArmA2 so immersive in its cooperative nature. You lug around and share ammunition and equipment with your teammates.

Not even in my worst nightmares :eek::eek:
It would be so historically unrealistic and I believe it would completely ruin the teamplay between the various classes.

Upvote 0
This idea sounds a bit unrealistic. I've never seen any WWII footage where you can see a soldier with more than his primary weapon.

Each weapon has his own advantages and problems, it is one of the reason why ROII is better than COD (where you can kill a sniper with a colt at 150 meters for instance). If you can have all the weapons in the same time, it won't be fun. At all.

About the Ammo-share : why not ; sounds good and realistic for MG. One soldier in the squad should be able to take ammo for MG in order to resupply it (not all the soldiers like in RO, only a few of them).
It would be interesting if we don't have a lot of ammo like in ROI (where you had 9x5 bullets for rifles or 4x71 for ppsh, which is a lot). But if it is the case, ammo boxes is enough IMO.

Upvote 0
You know I don't want RO2 to become a weapon/supply hording game, where when someone drops a pistol everyone lunges towards it while under heavy enemy fire just to pick it up. The solution may be simple, the tutorial should highly stress not throwing your life away for some extra equipment, only pick it up when you're safe.

Upvote 0
This idea sounds a bit unrealistic. I've never seen any WWII footage where you can see a soldier with more than his primary weapon.

Each weapon has his own advantages and problems, it is one of the reason why ROII is better than COD (where you can kill a sniper with a colt at 150 meters for instance). If you can have all the weapons in the same time, it won't be fun. At all.

About the Ammo-share : why not ; sounds good and realistic for MG. One soldier in the squad should be able to take ammo for MG in order to resupply it (not all the soldiers like in RO, only a few of them).
It would be interesting if we don't have a lot of ammo like in ROI (where you had 9x5 bullets for rifles or 4x71 for ppsh, which is a lot). But if it is the case, ammo boxes is enough IMO.

You actually have a point, I did see pictures of soldiers using 2 primary weapons, but not everything should be implemented from real life, the only other weapon you should be able to carry is a pistol.

Upvote 0

I don't see why it is unrealistic. As I said previously, most soldiers probably didn't want to lug around two weapons all the time since it would cause them to tire more quickly and inhibit their mobility.

But why take away the freedom to do something that you would be able to do in real life? Why not be able to carry another gun to give to someone else, or to use in a tight situation?

Let's say that you're behind some rubble and are pinned down by a distant rifle-firing enemy, you are carrying a PPSH, and there's a Mosin Nagant lying on the ground next to you. In real life, would you drop your PPSH and its ammo just to pick up the Mosin? Of course not. You would pick up the Mosin and return fire.

And in a generally less specific situation, if you were carrying a Mosin and knew you were heading into an area that was close combat, wouldn't it seem natural to acquire a PPSH if you saw one lying around, just in case? You wouldn't necessary ditch your trusty rifle, but you know that PPSH might come in handy. I can see lots of other situations where this would make sense.

If you don't have an inventory system in place that can account for this sort of thing, you get clunky gameplay like in RO1 where you get killed just for trying to pick up a nearby weapon. If the game had a weight-based inventory system, this wouldn't happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't see why it is unrealistic. As I said previously, most soldiers probably didn't want to lug around two weapons all the time since it would cause them to tire more quickly and inhibit their mobility.

But why take away the freedom to do something that you would be able to do in real life? Why not be able to carry another gun to give to someone else, or to use in a tight situation?

Let's say that you're behind some rubble and are pinned down by a distant rifle-firing enemy, you are carrying a PPSH, and there's a Mosin Nagant lying on the ground next to you. In real life, would you drop your PPSH and its ammo just to pick up the Mosin? Of course not. You would pick up the Mosin and return fire.

And in a generally less specific situation, if you were carrying a Mosin and knew you were heading into an area that was close combat, wouldn't it seem natural to acquire a PPSH if you saw one lying around, just in case? You wouldn't necessary ditch your trusty rifle, but you know that PPSH might come in handy. I can see lots of other situations where this would make sense.

If you don't have an inventory system in place that can account for this sort of thing, you get clunky gameplay like in RO1 where you get killed just for trying to pick up a nearby weapon. If the game had a weight-based inventory system, this wouldn't happen.

Well it depends on the situation, you could just as well say that you wouldn't care at all about the ppsh just throw it on the ground and grab the rifle and start shooting, especially if you're under fire i wouldn't care about putting my ppsh on the back if i had a mosin nagant served to me on a silver plate.. but then again how often did that happen in real life, weapons and ammo laying around convenient for a situation?..

Again we know it will be a weight system but it will have some limitations thankfully, that is for instance you can't carry a heavy mg plus another weapon etc..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would Like to see a compromise.
you can drop weapons, and you can pick up weapons. however, the picked up weapons only have 1 magazine/clip, the one which is loaded. this is fairly realistic, as the remaining ammo is on the corpse of whom you just have stolen the rifle, and you wouldn't loot the body in search for extra ammo in a combat situation.
when the ammo is empty, you automatically drop the weapon.
or don't, and just keep a empty weapon to refill at a ammo box, or drop manually with the drop weapon key.

Upvote 0
Again we know it will be a weight system but it will have some limitations thankfully, that is for instance you can't carry a heavy mg plus another weapon etc..

I like this idea. I think that it is perfectly realistic for a rifleman to pick up an smg and lug it along with them with a couple clips of ammo if they know that the fighting will be close. And very unrealistic for a soldier to drop his original weapon. For one, if you lose your weapon, I'm assuming your CO would be rather displeased. Also when you pick up a gun, you are taking a gamble on that now-deceased person's quality of care for that weapon, and would want to keep your well maintained baby with you.

However, if you are grabbing an AT rifle or machine gun or some thing heavy like that, you should only be allowed to carry that one weapon. Also, picking up things like the Panzerfaust should prevent you from taking another primary weapon.

Upvote 0
and you wouldn't loot the body in search for extra ammo in a combat situation.

Not in the middle of a fight unless you really were that desperate, but if the fighting has moved elsewhere and left behind quite a few bodies, I don't see how it wouldn't be appropriate to not allow people to take supplies from bodies like I said in the previous page...

I've always thought an animation for patting around the torso rummaging for supplies would be cool. Possibly a sort of menu shows up horizontally listing the items (with a picture of each) on the body that you can take, and maybe bind each item to 1-0 on the keyboard, pressing a number confirms you want the item, pressing again unconfirms, and then have another button that has you exit the menu and take what you selected.

Upvote 0
Any reason why this "inventory system" has to be manually managed and not automatic?

Anything you will be using is just added to your own weapon list, and anything you can give to other players can be given just like ammo is in Ostfront.

The ideas so far seem needlessly complex.
Exactly ... I think alot of you guys are assuming that I see this system as something like Diablo II where you have a big *** inventory screen with little blocks where you can place items.

Noting says it can't all be automatic and "behind the scenes". All I'm saying is, the idea of different items having various weights (according to John Gibson) definitely suggests that there is some sort of inventory system in place.

Upvote 0
I agree with a few of the posters here...

A player should only carry weapons & equipment designated to him at beginning of battle ( his class ).

I also do not want to see players picking up weapons on the ground ( like in RO ) for use in the middle of battle...This is done after the battle.
I prefer just to see all equipment dissaper in a second when a player dies.

Joe

Upvote 0

A player should only carry weapons & equipment designated to him at beginning of battle ( his class ).

I also do not want to see players picking up weapons on the ground ( like in RO ) for use in the middle of battle...This is done after the battle.

Joe

While I don't like RO being a weapon hording game, sometimes you need to pickup weapons.

Upvote 0

Joe

again with the "done after the battle" bit?

You realize you just implied that soldiers don't pick up other weapons during a battle right?

Honest question, have you read any books on war or ww2?

Upvote 0