• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

how do you ansver?

Blockbot

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2011
I've gotten loads of phone sellers and people doing surveys and such on the phone latly, and I begin to get empty for Ideas how to say "nay" to them.

lol put Ideas and funny things you done b4 against phone spammers. :)

My favourite one, was once I asked him to call back later tomorrow. and when he called back. I said: "I only have 5min." and then I put on a timer counting down from 300 out loud. the phone seller laughed so hard, and then I heard a voice interupting him from the backround and he hung up on me... What a meanie!

An annoying one must be

Acting as if you don't understand them, making them repeat themselves a tone of times... just keep them on the line messing with them.

But the thing is they don't all deserve that.

Some are legit services or surveys.

Some are total scammers.

They are easy to tell apart by what they "offer"

The ones who sound shady... WASTE their time... those who seem to do an honest work... be honest and get rid of them quickly if uninterested.

Upvote 0
I know the thread is supposed to be about sharing your 'funnies' when dealing with telemarketers, but when the phone rings and caller-ID tells me it's an (888) number or something to that effect, I don't exactly feel an overwhelming sense of mirth washing over my thought processes.. So what I do is I remind them I'm on the national 'do-not-call' registry and if I receive another call from this number or organization I'll be forced to report them to the FCC.

I havent had an unsolicited call in years.

Upvote 0
The telemarketers are just doing their job and their pay often depends on how many sales they can make. I've never worked as one my self, but I know for damn sure that if I did, I wouldn't want some asshole to waste my time and cost me money by trying to prank me or just by behaving like a dick.

And like aesdana said, pretending to be interested is another ****ty thing to do. Tho I guess often times people just don't know how to say no and want to be polite. What they don't realize is that if they already know they're not gonna buy something, they're just wasting the telemarketers time and costing him/her money.

So what I do when a telemarketer calls is just politely stop them mid sentence, tell them that I'm not interested and thank them for calling me. This way I don't waste their time, they don't waste my time, and most importantly, I don't feel like a prick for taking the piss out of some guy/girl working a crappy dead-end job.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The telemarketers are just doing their job and their pay often depends on how many sales they can make. I've never worked as one my self, but I know for damn sure that if I did, I wouldn't want some asshole to waste my time and cost me money by trying to prank me or just by behaving like a dick.

And like aesdana said, pretending to be interested is another ****ty thing to do. Tho I guess often times people just don't know how to say no and want to be polite. What they don't realize is that if they already know they're not gonna buy something, they're just wasting the telemarketers time and costing him/her money.

So what I do when a telemarketer calls is just politely stop them mid sentence, tell them that I'm not interested and thank them for calling me. This way I don't waste their time, they don't waste my time, and most importantly, I don't feel like a prick for taking the piss out of some guy/girl working a crappy dead-end job.

Bull. I haven't heard anyone not expressing annoyance about getting a telemarketing call. It is a completely unwanted phenomenon in society, and just because someone is making a living off of it doesn't make it more legitimate. They decided to work in a line of business that is basically intruding on people in their homes (or nowadays anywhere) and taking their time in order to sell something. To expect that that does not annoy people is hypocrisy and they should be told so, or learn it through other colourful ways to express it like evidenced by this thread.

Hopefully the telemarketers will eventually be discouraged to work in that line of businees, and then one rosy day the telemarketing companies won't have any people applying for their jobs anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This...
I changed my attitude after applying my very cynical English "wit" on a poor French tele-marketing person, the little darling left in tears...

I promise to be nice for ever and a day. :D

Upvote 0
Bull. I haven't heard anyone not expressing annoyance about getting a telemarketing call. It is a completely unwanted phenomenon in society, and just because someone is making a living off of it doesn't make it more legitimate. They decided to work in a line of business that is basically intruding on people in their homes (or nowadays anywhere) and taking their time in order to sell something. To expect that that does not annoy people is hypocrisy and they should be told so, or learn it through other colourful ways to express it like evidenced by this thread.

Hopefully the telemarketers will eventually be discouraged to work in that line of businees, and then one rosy day the telemarketing companies won't have any people applying for their jobs anymore.
Bull? As in you don't believe me?

Most of the time I don't get at all annoyed by a telemarketer call. This is largely because I know it will only take about 5 seconds for me to politely tell them that I'm not interested.

That said, I don't get too many of these calls. Maybe once a week, sometimes once a month. If it happened every day than I might get more annoyed, but still I wouldn't be taking it out on the person who's doing the calling. What I might do is ask the telemarketing company to take my number off their list.

And if you think people are working telemarketing jobs cause they just decided to pick that out of the several other great jobs that were offered, then you really need to open your eyes. It's a ****ty job and people do it cause they are out of other options.

I changed my attitude after applying my very cynical English "wit" on a poor French tele-marketing person, the little darling left in tears...
Not unlike the French to surrender so easily. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And if you think people are working telemarketing jobs cause they just decided to pick that out of the several other great jobs that were offered, then you really need to open your eyes. It's a ****ty job and people do it cause they are out of other options.

I never claimed that they had other great jobs offered. Telemarketing is a ****ty job, but it is far from the only ****ty job around, they do have other ****ty jobs to choose from. Other jobs that doesn't intrude on people's private spheres and annoy them in order to sell products. They chose the one that does, so that warrants a response that makes them aware of that. I have as much respect for the people that choose telemarketing as the "last option" as for the people that send out spammails. Or perhaps I should be grateful that these people didn't choose crime instead? Is it some sort of blackmail scheme, be nice to your telemarketer or he will break into your house and rob you or sell crack to your children? They made a poor choice and they need to know it.

Regarding commercials and marketing there is usually an unwritten contract between the sender and reciever, tv commercials for example, or ads in newspapers or in stores. The customer gets something in return for the commercials, or they are in an environment (in the street or in stores) where making them aware of a product can be an advantage and where the customer has accepted the presence of ads. Telemarketers on the other hand intrude on your private sphere and on your time, blocking the phone line in order to sell you a product. Noone on the recieving end ever asked for them to call, and they push products that most people had no use for prior to the call.

Sorry to get all riled up, but I just get so fed up with seeing that lame excuse about them "having no other choice" served again and again. They do. And even on the off-chance that they haven't, well they just have to face facts that there are jobs out there that are going to make you unpopular, and being hypocritical about it and cuddling them and making their work easier so they have more time to call up and bother other people is not going to help one bit. Quite the contrary.

Upvote 0
The telemarketing business sucks, I agree, but it's not the ones that's calling you who are to blame.

Here in sweden you have to take any job you are offered if you are unemployed and on welfare, and the telemarketing companies are always kind enough to offer jobs. I know people who have been dreaming of cleaning toilets after a couple of weeks at those slave traders.

So don't be an ***, just hang up so they can move on to the next number. You won't stop the business, and you're not making a point by being rude them, you are just ruining some poor guys day.

Reactions: LightsabeR
Upvote 0
I never claimed that they had other great jobs offered. Telemarketing is a ****ty job, but it is far from the only ****ty job around, they do have other ****ty jobs to choose from. Other jobs that doesn't intrude on people's private spheres and annoy them in order to sell products. They chose the one that does, so that warrants a response that makes them aware of that. I have as much respect for the people that choose telemarketing as the "last option" as for the people that send out spammails. Or perhaps I should be grateful that these people didn't choose crime instead? Is it some sort of blackmail scheme, be nice to your telemarketer or he will break into your house and rob you or sell crack to your children? They made a poor choice and they need to know it.

Regarding commercials and marketing there is usually an unwritten contract between the sender and reciever, tv commercials for example, or ads in newspapers or in stores. The customer gets something in return for the commercials, or they are in an environment (in the street or in stores) where making them aware of a product can be an advantage and where the customer has accepted the presence of ads. Telemarketers on the other hand intrude on your private sphere and on your time, blocking the phone line in order to sell you a product. Noone on the recieving end ever asked for them to call, and they push products that most people had no use for prior to the call.

Sorry to get all riled up, but I just get so fed up with seeing that lame excuse about them "having no other choice" served again and again. They do. And even on the off-chance that they haven't, well they just have to face facts that there are jobs out there that are going to make you unpopular, and being hypocritical about it and cuddling them and making their work easier so they have more time to call up and bother other people is not going to help one bit. Quite the contrary.
TL;DR
They work as telemarketers so they're bad people.

Reactions: LightsabeR
Upvote 0