• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is the SDK available today

Yeah, this strikes me as odd considering the UDK/Unreal Editor 3 supports both, and considering a minority of people use 64 bit windows variants, and considering so much other software is only 32 bit compatible :confused:

I'd assume it's because TW uses 64 bit operating systems and maybe they just havn't had the time to add 32 support?

No, the reason most likely is that Lightmass can use over 3 GB memory when building lighting for maps. You'll just run out of memory and crash it, being unable to even build the map :p

Upvote 0
...It will require 64-bit windows.
*looks at his copy of vista 32*
[insert obligatory url here]
No, the reason most likely is that Lightmass can use over 3 GB memory when building lighting for maps. You'll just run out of memory and crash it, being unable to even build the map :p

..what's stopping people that make crappy fairly empty maps (like, say, a duelling arena) from using that ram-expanding program they used for darkest hour? although I'll admit, lightmass gets a little silly after a while, 1km x 1km cube with one light taking over 10 minutes to render on the lowest setting :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*looks at his copy of vista 32*
[insert obligatory url here]

..what's stopping people that make crappy fairly empty maps (like, say, a duelling arena) from using that ram-expanding program they used for darkest hour? although I'll admit, lightmass gets a little silly after a while, 1km x 1km cube with one light taking over 10 minutes to render on the lowest setting :p

My map is now taking 1,5 hours to build on my core 2 duo e6700 ;p
Plus I don't think you can just use some magical "ram expanding" program. The program itself (editor/lightmass) has to be compiled with large address aware if you want higher amount of ram in 32 bit windows, or then compiled into a 64 bit executable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
except UDK has a 32bit version.

I meant make a big semi fleshed out map and then try building it.

I take it having a SSD setup for intels caching tech Smart Response Technology (SRT) would help a lot with the light building ?

SSD won't help you. The more and faster CPU cores you have, the better.

Upvote 0
The memory requirement is dependent on the size of the map and how much detail is in.
Figures.
Speaking of figures (clever pun) what's your estimate on that?
Does it run much more slowly than regular UDK? Is 4GB a no way, is 8GB in the ballpark, is 12 the needed way to go?

Just curious. Actually, I'm more curious about when the SDK will arrive. :p

Upvote 0
The September 2010 UDK is going to run very similarly to the RO2 SDK. The memory requirement is going to different because the RO2 SDK is an SDK for a full game and requires more content to be loaded than the UDK.

The amount of memory required is going to vary with that you decide to make. Your mileage will vary. I personally recommend at least 8GB for a quality map. Our studio requirement is 12GB.

Upvote 0
The September 2010 UDK is going to run very similarly to the RO2 SDK. The memory requirement is going to different because the RO2 SDK is an SDK for a full game and requires more content to be loaded than the UDK.

The amount of memory required is going to vary with that you decide to make. Your mileage will vary. I personally recommend at least 8GB for a quality map. Our studio requirement is 12GB.
Very cool. I am hovering over 12 GB, I am very tempted, to say the least.

Currently going to a school for game design and our comps have 16gig so I might just do work on it there, since we're pretty much learning UDK through projects.

Hang on... at a later stage we will be tasked with, well, creating a mod basically. Hmmm...

Well, good thing I am already taking baby steps this early. :p
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=62578

Actually, would you guys mind if I interviewed one of you or something FOR a school assignment?
I currently go at the Noroff Institute, sort of Norways biggest go-to place for everything 3d.
Because, what Tripwire is doing is quite amazing and especially how it manages to actually pull it off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

This. John from Black Foot Studios mentioned something similar. I've never had any issues running programs on Vista 64bit, and don't have any with Windows 7 64bit either. No reason to stick with a 32bit OS in my experience.

Upvote 0