• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where's the bullet drop?

kulik

Jun 13, 2008
I have a laser gun! :D
No really, im head shooting those pooped out german heads over the whole FH map by pointing directly at them.
Haven't TW said there is a bullet drop and you would have to correct your sights? (I was hoping for something like WW2OL sights mechanics.)
We're back to pixelhunting and combined with very mild weapon swing (compared to RO1) it got a lot easier.

I have a laser gun! :D
No really, im head shooting those pooped out german heads over the whole FH map by pointing directly at them.
Haven't TW said there is a bullet drop and you would have to correct your sights? (I was hoping for something like WW2OL sights mechanics.)
We're back to pixelhunting and combined with very mild weapon swing (compared to RO1) it got a lot easier.

With the rifles in game, you won't notice a drop until 250 to 300 metres out, where you will drop about 3 inches depending on powder load (roughly). The game rifles had the ballistics in RO1 but were exaggerated to drop somewhat more than real bullets would. Even given the extra drop for gameplay purposes you won't notice much in beta.
The beta maps are simple run'n'gun CoD style maps with combat taking place mostly within 25 metres or less, you won't see any drop at all at those distances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sooo, there is a bullet drop but the distances are too small to notice it?
The problem is, when you shooting point blank, the bullet goes exactly where you aiming, when you shooting at 200 m... ...the bullet goes where you aiming. :rolleyes:

If the sights are set to 200m at close ranges the bullet should end higher than you're aiming...i think. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sooo, there is a bullet drop but the distances are too small to notice it?
The problem is, when you shooting point blank, the bullet goes exactly where you aiming, when you shooting at 200 m... ...the bullet goes where you aiming. :rolleyes:

If the saights are set to 200m at close ranges the bullet should end higher than you aiming...i think. ;)

Not quite. Take a K98 for example. Lets say the rifle is zeroed to 200 metres. When you aim at a target 200m away and fire, the bullet exits the barrel, travels up on a parabolic arc and then at an increasingly steep angle heads towards the ground. At close range the bullet would be travelling upward relative to the barrel, but it would not have had enough distnace to gain elevation enough to change the aim point. I would guess roughly that if you fire for 200m, the bullet reaches it's highest point probably around 125 to 150 metres (exaggerating for point).

If you fire a gun on a flat plain, with bullet moving straight forward 90 degrees to teh ground and drop a similar bullet at the same time you fire, both bullets will hit the ground at the same time. The fired bullet just travels further forward.
Remember in game, the distances we are shooting are very short compared to the range possible and velocity. Some of the RO1 maps at much larger distances saw bullet drop really make an impact and the tank maps certainly meant that ballistic qualities of the tank shells mattered.
I'm sure in the retail version the maps will be larger and the game mechanics can come into play.

Upvote 0
Oh sure, i mean't the bullet should hit under where you aiming at close range, and hit over your aim at middle range :)
An wait a sec RO1 had ballistic drop???? Sure, tank shells and sniper rifles had it. But i remember on Arad map sniping three pixel standing targets by aiming at the middle pixel. :eek:

Upvote 0
Oh sure, i mean't the bullet should hit under where you aiming at close range, and hit over your aim at middle range :)
An wait a sec RO1 had ballistic drop???? Sure, tank shells and sniper rifles had it. But i remember on Arad map sniping three pixel standing targets by aiming at the middle pixel. :eek:

RO1 had ballistics as well. But again, at the distances you are firing, even large distances on Arad aren't enough to see much drop. That 3 pixel target might have only been a few hundred metres away. All the bullets, tank shells etc dropped with distance.

There were some places, on maps like Berezina, where very long distances could be seen through scoped rifles and you could really notice the drop, but not on most maps without the distance and a scope to see the impact.

Upvote 0