• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Advanced Tips & Tricks Video.

Hmm interesting points. I'll try to reply to most of it...

Read my reply above. I go into more detail, but it's still not all of it though :)

Who said run and gun is not tactical?

In regards to your alternative to slicing a room. I'd have to politely disagree with your rush tactics :p. I'm no SWAT team member or special forces operator but I know for sure that they would never do anything like what you suggested.

Yes they do. They even have special devices to help them do it. They go slower now for two reasons - body armour and accuracy. If you have one you can concentrate more on the other. So SWAT teams are wearing kevlar vests and carrying kevlar shields and they are GREATLY outnumbering and outgunning the people they are after. They are also trying to prevent any collateral damage.

A solider assaulting an enemy position has a totally different set of conditions he's operating under.

A SWAT team doesn't have to worry about artillery. Once they clear the room, the situation is over and everyone is safe. Once a soldier has cleared the room, HE becomes the perp inside waiting for the SWAT to come in, and that SWAT team can **** him up totally, without even coming in the door.

It's a totally different kettle of fish.

But then again as you said this is a game and people do crazy stuff, good for you if you take advantage of it!

As you'll see if you read my other replay above, its nothing to do with it being a game. It's human nature. I take advantage of human psychology and physiology, not game mechanics. I'm beating the PLAYER, not the GAME.

I'm much more conservative and tend to play surgically with a carefully thought out overall strategy for the round in mind.

So do I. I just do it faster.

I bet you can't even come close to explaining what you are doing in as much detail as I explain what I'm doing. So why do you think it takes more thinking to do what YOU do? I'm not trying to insult you, but it doesn't. Not even close.

I have to think all the same things you do. I just have less time to think them. As you can tell from how much I write, I think very quickly. Much quicker than most people, in fact.

That doesn't mean I'm smarter or better, I'm just different. I do what works for me, and my experience tells me that you HAVE to do it ALL. If not, you start moaning about game mechanics, and gimped weapons and bugs...

The tactics and tricks I talked about in videos are a basis for these conservative strategies.

Please note, I never disagreed that what you said CAN work. I simply added a lot more detail about why it may not be the best option, at least not always. For me, it never is. I'm good enough at it that I am safer running in and killing everyone, than staying outside, but that's just me.

I see people rushing into rooms all the time and more often than not they die instantly,

Because they are are just running in. Like you that have no ideas why someone like me can do it. They try and die. Afetr awhile they think that the only smart way is not to. That's simply because they never knew what they were trying to do, never did it, so it couldn't work.

Slicing the pie is easy. So noobs can learn to be safer with it, quicker. If they want to stop being noobs, that's not the end of their learning, though.

with that section of the video I hoped to help out what appear to me as slightly impatient people who could perhaps take more time with each room and get a better room by room survival ratio :D.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, I am not criticising you at all. Your vids should be compulsory. So many people haven't even got the basics down, they need all the help they can get. It's just that you clearly have them down, so I was talking more advanced techniques with you, to share my knowledge and pick your brain.

I put my argument forward not to say "this is it" but to say "this is what I do, what do you reckon?" If it helps you, cool, if you see something that I'm doing wrong, tell me and I'll agree and change or disagree and explain why.

It's the best way to learn how to do this stuff, because it is FAR more complicated than even most good players realise. Most of them are just naturals. They do it without even knowing why.

For target prioritising you're entirely right; obviously any gun pointing at you is a bigger threat than one that isn't :p

Actually, this is why it is important to understand the features of various kinds of weapon. A good SMG guy can turn and acquire you a lot faster than a gunner can go from prone undeployed to prone deployed and acquire you. That is the whole point of them.

The threat level is different depending on the mixture of weapons, their orientation and location, and even the perceived skill level of the guys holding them. A crappy rifleman is less threat than a crappy SMGer, but a good rifleman is more threat than a good SMGer. (You should see the surprise on most of their faces when I show them - at least in my mind anyway :) )

It really does take a lot of experience to figure it out. The more experience you have, the more likely you are to identify the most dangerous threat.

MG's at the moment are better used as either run and gun room rakers or as small choke point defenders (I think anyway).

There is another thread here where I post a screenshot of 157m head shot I got with the DP-28. I was in the open on Fallen Fighters covering an assault on the cap. He was crouched behind the wall shooting an MkB at them. He died from one three round burst. His two buddies went prone. One died from a nade (I think) the other from direct fire from the assault troops. We capped the point after that without any more shooting.

I fired one three round burst, killed one, helped the team kill two more, got the cap, and did it from 157m away, while covering ANOTHER cap zone.

The MG's work fine. It's just that the vast majority of people have no idea how to employ an MG effectively. They do it all wrong, then blame the gun.

As for your points on tank combat I'd have to disagree about artillery.

"Blitzkrieg (German, "lightning war"; listen (help

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Read my reply above. I go into more detail, but it's still not all of it though...

More interesting points!

Oh don't worry I'm not insulted, other peoples opinions are great! I don't remember saying running and gunning isn't tactical but when I see players doing it I rarely think "Oh hey he has a strategy!" no offence or anything... It just never looks that way especially and usually when they die. Then if I see a guy crawling towards an objective so he won't be seen or sneaking into a building I think "Hmmm he seems to have a good plan I'll do the same thing".

Yeah I get what you mean about "Beating the player..." with reactions, confusion and that stuff. But then again I think that stuff is irrelevant if someone can easily clear a room in a simpler and easier way (in my opinion) :). They're dead and I'm alive, I beat them, simples! So I suppose both tactics are valid if you can pull them off, and in my personal experience and experience of watching other players I think it's very fair to say that slicing is the safer and more survivable way of doing it. Either way kudos to you if you can rush rooms successfully on a consistent basis like that.

Sorry if I offended you, I never meant to mean you were thinking less and that's great if it takes more effort/thinking to do what you do. However once again I find that to be irrelevant to a combat situation if one way is simpler than the other and gets the same result. Unless you want the challenge and of course this is just a game and people will do things because they find them fun not necessarily because they want to win.

Also to share some more of my experiences I tried the whole rushing in thing last night on Pavlov's House. It went really well. I spent the majority of the round in an enemy occupied building killing campers that weren't really expecting any trouble in their hidey-holes. It was great fun and definitely gets the heart going, maybe I'll do it more often who knows.

I agree with your MG points. I've done the the exact same thing on Fallen Fighters, however on smaller maps you're far more vulnerable so if I decide to play MG'er (usually because its a slot that's always open) I'll use it as an assault weapon. You can out gun just about anything in house clearing which is great fun, and more effective the either a) no one using the MG slot or b) people using it in the tradition way and covering one area maybe getting a handful of kills then getting sniped, even if they move position.

As for the tank stuff yes you're right about movement however as I said before I was demonstrating one aspect of tanking not a 'How to use tanks' overall guide, which is something I'd love to do in the future.

So anyway yeah different play styles basically, whatever wins consistently is what I say. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Whats your specs Mr.Nicklebe and Maybe a screenshot of what you have selected in the Gfx menu ingame? Thanks man.

p.s. Awsome vids!

I have a fairly standard gamer rig:

- AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz
- Asus M4A79XTD EVO 790X Motherboard
- Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
- Gigabyte Nvidia GTX470 1280MB

I also run 2 1TB hard drives which let me record my videos without much of a dip in my frame rate. Play on one, record to the other :D

Upvote 0