• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rebirth of the Serk!

Amatsukenzan

Nov 6, 2010
First things first, Im a lv 5 serk, so I have some experience. It's been a long, and mostly fun ride, whacking and hacking. But GOD it can get boring... Start with knife (now chainsaw), hit foes till they stop moving, buy ax, second round (for me), kill stuff, get armor then katana, run around by myself luring spawns to me, get top score board (usually). Yea, I buy LAR and m79 and then m32, but they don't lv my perk and I only use them on sirens and Fp.

I know everyone hates 'lets give X perk X weapon!' threads, but... This is one of them. Rage now.

Done? Ok, lets go then! 3 different sets of ideas, each separate from each other (so don't think they would all be included in the same ideas).

First, Support. The serk doesn't do it really, and i think he could add more to the team.

Caltrops: http://www.instructables.com/image/FRPLF5QAE5EQ6T20Q2/Nicaraguan-Caltrop.jpg |Basically sharp multi-sided pieces of metal, that when thrown, always land with a side up. Nasty, barbed and painful, they stick into the foot and cause pain and injury with every step. In game, they work like long lasting pipebombs. Though down a group, and any zed who treads though takes damage (mild). As long as their in it and for a time after they keep taking mild damage too, as well as getting slowed (about as much as being 'crisped' from flame, in fact the same mechanic without the visual burn). Rage (Fp, scrake, Patty) overrides the slow, but not the damage. Besides zeds, only the one who placed them will take damage if he walk though them (less friendly fires on, even then, its super mild (1 damage a second)), but players don't get the slow effect. The trops vanish after time, or so much damage is dealt.

Reason: Area denial, like pipes, but a bit longer lasting. Can also help with escape, and they fit into the gritty feel of the game (those things are nasty!) They deal melee damage too, so you can lv serk a little passively (like demo w/ pipes) and not need to use him all the time (since others can use them too (carry less, less slow or something as a negative for wrong perk))

Pounding Rage Serum
: Someone beat me to the punch (lol) to some degree with this one. His was based on the beserkergangs of norseman raiders (the fungus and other drugs they used to go into a blood trance drug freak out). Mine is based on the very serum injected into Fleshpounds! Modified to be used on regular (though exceptional crazy) humans with minimal long term side effects, you can only carry one at a time (any more then that used a round would make your heart explode, and the trader kinda likes you ;)). It appears as a health injector, but is bigger and yellow with caution stripes. When taken gives you a boost to melee damage and melee movement speed, as well as giving you regeneration (no regen to non-serks)! It's designed to work with your adrenalin, so the more damage you take and dish out under its effects, the stronger the boosts will become! Its effects last 30 seconds, but is used up faster the more bonus it gives you, thus it more extreme cases it might only last you 10 seconds! After it wears off, you will find your self tired, with a sluggishness that's hard to shake. Inversely to the time it lasted, you are weakened (so if it lasted for 30 seconds, no negative, if it lasted 10 seconds, minus for 20 seconds) having a minus to your swing speed, damage resistance and self healing.

Reason: Sometimes the serk needs a quick boost to take down some troublsome foes. Fleshpounds, husks, 3 or more sirens and/or bloats or even the patty can make the serk feel small. A short once a round get-out-of-jail-free-card would allow serks that moment of heroism they need. With a high cost and 2kg weight, it won't be something they always use, buts its nice to have that ace in the hole.

Now the second round of ideas, something a bit defense. The serk is the frontline guy, but he can have trouble taking to much damage too fast, and while he's the best target for a Fp because he can take a hit, it would be nice to have the option to trade some damage for max survivability.

Thus, Shields. They come with their own weapons, which only have power attacks as attack 2 (just like power attack for any other melee weapon). Their main 'attack', while held, raises the shield, and greatly improves the serks damage resistance. When blocking, the serk is slowed down (chainsaw primary held down style). Shields themselves are unwieldy, thus a serk only gets half the normal melee run bounus when a shields out (blocking or not). Last thing, the shields only help against damage in a 180 degree area in front of where its blocking, so side and back attacks will do full, unless you turn.

Lv1 Shield
: Nothing more then a metal trashcan lid and the normal combat knife, this shield is very cheap and relatively light at 3kg (it also replaces the knife, till sold or dropped (only drops shield)). It blocks only mild damage, like clots and crawlers and stronger attacks will almost negate the small bonus it provides when used to block. The block absorbs 33% of a clots, stalkers and crawlers melee attack, and 10% of any other zeds melee attack. It has no effect on husk missles, bloat bile or siren screams (or patty ranged missiles and chaingun).

Lv2 Shield
: A pretty big chunk of door (metal or wood, random, no difference in game but look) plus a hand sickle. Weighing 5kg total, its the middle of the road for weight, defense and cost. The sickle is a little slower and weaker then the machete, but has reach like ax, katana, ect. The shield provides a nice bonus to defense when used to block, allowing it to be effective against mid range zeds like gorefasts or less. Still not quite enough for a scrake or Fp. This shields block abosrbs 50% of a gorefasts, bloats, sirens, husks, clots, crawlers and stalkers melee attacks, and 33% of any other zeds melee attack. Can block husk missle, negating half damage. Can block some bloat bile, reducing damage 33%. No effect on siren screams (10% res vs patty range with block). Sickles:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1uUBppmG7c0/SQ-pM1imR6I/AAAAAAAAAS8/hFrnZ0whuOc/s400/KC+sickle+photo.jpg http://www.dfoggknives.com/copy_of_index/sickle.jpg

Lv3 Shield
: A plexyglass riot shield, fitted with a steel frame and steel bars for extra protection with a long sword for melee (slower and weaker then katana). While heavy at 9kg, and quite expensive, it can intercept most damage to a high degree, giving reasonable protection against scrakes and Fleshs when used to block. The block of this shield stops 66% of any scrake, fleshpound or patriarch melee attack, and 75% of any other zeds melee attack. It can stop husk missles cold (lol) negating 75% of the damage. It's large enough to stop most of a bloats puke, negating 50% of the damage. And its sound resistant, helping to shield 33% of a sirens scream. It will also give 15% general resistance to the pattys range while out (block adds 20% more to that).

Finally, the longest set, and the most numerous, but in my mind, also the most necessary! One of the problems with the serk is he has to use other perks weapons if he wants to survive. A serk with the LAR or m79 and later the crossbow and m32 is a common sight. What if you could have range, but also lv serk? How? Well every damn horror movie has that l33t blade chucking badass, sticking knives right in the demon/zombies/vampires face/junk. And why not have that here too?

So, Throwing weapons! And, I know I sort of covered these in one of my other idea threads, but I've done a lot of rework, so its really different.

I am dividing them into two categorys, speed and power. We'll start with speed:

Shuriken: google image it if you don't know what it looks like (and what rock have you been living under?). A multisided metal disk, it causes only superficial damage in the hands of a novice, but can stab and slash vital areas in a masters hands.
Speed; High
Power; Very low
Ammo; High
Cost; Very low
Teir; Zero (combat knife lv)
Main attack; Throws one horizontal from right hand
Secondary attack; Throws 3 from left hand (one between each finger) and 3 from right hand, vertically. Two on each side of hands spread out over distance
Special if any; very light, 1kg, weak headshot (x1)

Double Knife: http://allninjagear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/double_side_throwing_knife3.jpg Specialy made and weighted for throwing, this double sided throwing knife can take out weak foes fast, but is less desirable for larger targets.
Speed; High
Power; low
Ammo; med-high
Cost; med-low
Teir; One
Main attack; Throws one vertically with right hand
Secondary attack; Throws 3 from left hand, similar to shuriken
Special if any; Light, good headshot damage (1.25)

Hand Ax: http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/140/173/019/lPCo.jpg Called a throwing hatchet or tomahawk, while small, they can be deadly, cutting deep. While their laceration can be nasty, tougher foes can take many.
Speed; Med-high
Power; Med
Ammo; Med
Cost; Med
Teir; Two
Main attack; Throws one from right, then alternates to throwing one from left, vertically
Secondary attack; Throws one from both hands at the same time horizontally
Special if any; Reasonable light for damage, high headshot damage (1.45)

Javelin: http://www.scottishmist.com/assets/weapons/Javelin.jpg A small and common track and field tool, it can pierce deep from great distances in the right hands. Could also be a fishing harpoon.
Speed; Med
Power; Med-high
Ammo; Med
Cost; Med-High
Teir; Three
Main attack; Throws one javelin with the right hand
Secondary attack; Throws javelins from each hand at the same time
Special if any; +25% distance then other throwing tools (except spear), very good headshot (1.50)

And now power:

Circular Saw: http://visual.merriam-webster.com/i...carpentry-sawing-tools/circular-saw-blade.jpg Like those used in woodcutting benches, one would think throwing such a device could be self-hazardous, but its really only dangerous to the one having it throw towards.
Speed; Med-low
Power; Med
Ammo; Med-low
Cost; low
Teir; Zero (akin to the 9mm)
Main attack; Throws with right hand vertically
Secondary attack; Throws one from each hand horizontally
Special if any; good headshot (1.25)

Kukri Glave: http://www.woodlandsurvival.com/kukri1.jpg Essentially a machete but weighted for throwing, its large and thick.
Speed; Med
Power; Med-high
Ammo; Med
Cost; med-low
Teir; One
Main attack; Throws alternating from left to right, vertically
Secondary attack; Power attack like machete, but a little weaker (has reach like fire ax, katana, ect)
Special if any; Can melee attack, good headshot (1.35)

Hunga Munga: http://nonsensegrandcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/knife11.jpg Made from scrap metal, or found in museums, this African designed throwing... weapon... is nasty and heavy, making its blows viscous.
Speed; Med-low
Power; Very high
Ammo; low
Cost; High
Teir; two
Main attack; Hurls large Ax thing with both hands
Secondary attack; Heavy overhead swing
Special if any; Melee attack, Very good headshot damage (1.50)

Barbed Spear: http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/p...spear-point-from-africa-isolated-on-white.jpg Remade street posts, museum lances and tribal weapons, or simply sharped pipes, Spear deliver heavy piecing damage at range. They are naturally aerodynamic, and thus travel better though the air then other throwing tools.
Speed; Med-low
Power; High
Ammo; Med-low
Cost; med-high
Teir; Three
Main attack; Throws spear with right hand
Secondary attack; A powerful stab attack, longer then normal melee reach can pierce multiple foes in a line
Special if any; +25% distance then other throwing tools (except javelin), extreme headshot damage (1.65)

And the final Throwing weapon:

Juggling chainsaw
: http://ralph.9msn.com.au/img/articles/juggle_chainsaw.jpg A more compact, but no less deadly chainsaw made to be thrown in the air, is now used to throw at zeds!
Speed; Very low
Power; Extreme High
Ammo; very low
Cost; Very high
Teir; 3.5
Main attack; Throws chainsaw vertically with right hand
Secondary attack; Throws one from each hand!!!
Special if any; Very high damage, but only 3 at any given time, and ammo boxes do not refill ammo, very heavy (10kg), low headshot (x1)

And now a few notes on throwing weapons. The serk will get new abilitys to include some of their effects, like throwing distance. Like flamethrower fire, thrown weapons die off after a certain distance, and as the serk lvs, that distance increases. The javelin and spear can naturally go farther, but this isn't really noticeable till later lv's. These items do not spawn in normal lv's, and the serk gets +damage and number of ammo carried extra for these tools. They also count as and toward melee damage.

Sorry if all this was a little long, but pick though and see what you think.

Last edited:
cant forget the laser guns lol that was trueley a stupid idea and i know stupid ideas

yeah, I remember someone seriously suggesting a Lazer perk that had a heat ray, freeze ray, and death lazer, and was quite annoyed when we told him that there is a point where one must draw the line with realism...but that was a while back

Upvote 0
Sorry, forgot to post my thoughts.

Well, I don't see the point in any of the throwing weapons. Firstly the berserker is not meant to have range, and secondly why would he throw (and potentially lose) a weapon that he would be far more effectively used for melee?

Caltrops, I like the idea of those, although I'm not sure why they would fit the berserker more than anyone else. Nonetheless it's something I'd like to see added, even if only as a mutator (I can't imagine it being hard to implement).

A shield would also be interesting, and I think would fit the berserker well. Would be useful when you have to take on crawlers or need to defend yourself from larger groups of gorefasts, as well as giving the player some chance to defend against fleshpounds. Might make it too easy to defend against ranged specimens though.

Reactions: FloorKilling
Upvote 0
Why don't you grab some duct tape , grab all this melee weapons , make them all 1 , and then swing it around it through all the game?
Yes , this sounds incredibly stupid
Sounds like God of War. Like chaining melee weapons to your arms and swinging the deadly sharp razors around :troll:

Upvote 0
another weapon thread o mine, trolled again...
Why do people have such difficulty telling the difference between people who think an idea is bad and a troll? :confused:
A troll is some one trying to piss you off on purpose; someone disagreeing with an idea, is just someone disagreeing with your idea.

Upvote 0
Why don't you grab some duct tape , grab all this melee weapons , make them all 1 , and then swing it around it through all the game?

f_tacticoolARm_3b776a6.jpg

Upvote 0